Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
now that we have genesis in poser can us whiney little poser people return…
Posted: 17 October 2012 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16002
Joined  2003-10-09

If you click on “forums”, instead of using the Abbreviated list that appears beside the word, it takes you to the forum index, where you find that there are indeed quite a few more than 8 forums on the site.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 17 October 2012 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  622
Joined  2004-12-14
RCDeschene - 17 October 2012 09:23 AM
ssgbryan - 16 October 2012 11:47 PM

I didn’t get too emotional about it.

I am clearing out my wishlist & preparing to leave the PC club at the end of the month.

Why? Aren’t there PC items compatible with the DSON Importer?

I have had 12 months to evaluate my business relationship with the PC club and DAZ as a whole.  Over the past 15 months DAZ has burned through all of the goodwill that they had accumulated with me over the prior 7 years - releasing DSON for Poser isn’t changing the last 15 months.

I very reluctantly renewed last year, because I didn’t want to make a hasty decision.  The past year has shown that the changes to the PC club that DAZ made were changes that made it almost worthless from my point of view.

The problem with the PC membership is more about lack of value via-a-vis content than getting DSON working in Poser.

Having the PC coupon only work with DAZ originals matters when you look at the content available for DAZ originals.

Let me elaborate about content…

Most DAZ originals appear to be Hair,  Clothing, Props, and the occasional figure.

Hair - I have 25Gb of hair - I need more hair like I need another hole in my head.

Figures - All of the advantages of genesis do not change the fact that I have all the Caucasian 20 year-olds I’ll ever need.  Nothing that genesis can do will change that. 

Just for fun, go run through the figures here at DAZ - how many are non-Caucasian? 10%?  How many look older than 30 (and notice how those senior citizens have 60 year old faces & 20 year old bodies.)?  I got monsters - more monsters than I’ll ever use.  Then there is the fact that if I need a monster, I have a wide selection from Sixus1 and Sanctum Arts.

I do stories with Poser, not still portraits of 1 figure - and since my stories do not exist in a “Logan’s Run” universe - a need a wide range of characters, in a wide range of ages, and in a wide range of sizes - which is why I use a wide range of figures.

Moving on to clothing…..
In my opinion, too much of the clothing content for genesis is either a repeat or variation of something that I already purchased at DAZ.

I have all the lingerie, hooker heels, and stripper clothes I will ever need.  Once you mark those products out, you aren’t left with very much to choose from.

Let me give you something else to think on.  Go pick 20 clothing items, any clothing items - notice how all of the clothing is worn by Caucasians.  Ethnic morphs and skins have been around since at least I got here (2004), but I have only seen a couple clothing items that were worn by non-Caucasians (2 were in the Egypt set and the other was African.  By the way, why is it that only Africans get tribal body paints?  The early Caucasians did that a lot also).  With what I do, I need an ethnically balanced choice of characters - and as I have pointed out earlier, that ain’t here.

Props & Sets - I’ll miss Jack Tomalin’s stuff, but I’ll get over it.

All-in-all, I am moving in a different direction than DAZ vendors.  I’ll miss them, but not enough to keep my PC membership.

All of this doesn’t mean that I won’t use genesis - Orkasson has a YT set for genesis that I will spring for and I’ll get the GenX & add- ons to move my older content to genesis.  Genesis will fill gaps in my figure collection, and nothing more.

Signature 

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” - Aldous Huxley

Posted: 17 October 2012 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1611
Joined  2008-11-10
ssgbryan - 17 October 2012 03:21 PM

Let me give you something else to think on.  Go pick 20 clothing items, any clothing items - notice how all of the clothing is worn by Caucasians.  Ethnic morphs and skins have been around since at least I got here (2004), but I have only seen a couple clothing items that were worn by non-Caucasians (2 were in the Egypt set and the other was African.  By the way, why is it that only Africans get tribal body paints?  The early Caucasians did that a lot also).  With what I do, I need an ethnically balanced choice of characters - and as I have pointed out earlier, that ain’t here.

And chances are you won’t get them with any character. To do a texture of an ethnic character, you have to get them to pose for a photosession. And that’s the issue… and that’s not DAZ’s fault, they don’t do photoreferences. Do your research: how many black male photoreferences are there available to vendors?

Two.

Can’t get much selection from that.

Posted: 17 October 2012 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  493
Joined  2003-10-09

Is there a way I can i autofit V4 hair to genesis in DS and keep the morphs that make the hair move as well that were originally in the hair?
Love esther

Posted: 17 October 2012 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

well a lot of good info on how to do things can be found by just googling or asking questions here.  we can probably manage without too much documentation.  there are lots of youtube tutorials etc.

Posted: 17 October 2012 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

there is some online documentation isn’t there. I keep getting offered it when I first open DS but I click it off because I’m always in a hurry to play.

Posted: 17 October 2012 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1163
Joined  2006-04-16
esther - 17 October 2012 08:10 PM

Is there a way I can i autofit V4 hair to genesis in DS and keep the morphs that make the hair move as well that were originally in the hair?
Love esther

In DS? Yes,  but only if you use DS 4.5 Pro. The Auto fit doesn’t destroy the morphs but keeps them. In earlier versions of DS, the morphs totally destroyed.

Signature 

Genesis is head & shoulders above “Genesis 2” (or better known as BF2/BM2) and is the FAR superior figure. Why? It doesn’t suffer from the UN-necessary gender split

My DeviantArt Page.

ULTIMATE SUPER-HERO FREEBIES!

The Supersuit product comes with a Basic Supersuit. DAZ has finally fixed it’s UV’s. Re-Download now to receive the update. Thanks DAZ! smile

Posted: 17 October 2012 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

well I am using DS 4.5 pro but I cant’ see my morphs there.
these are not daz clothes but my old V4 and M4 clothes which I autofit to genesis.
love esther

Posted: 17 October 2012 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1163
Joined  2006-04-16

Did you try the Parameters tab or the shaping tab?

Perhaps clicking on the clothing item twice to bring up the list and going through each individual piece to try and locate the morphs?

That’s the only thing I can think of to try and help you. They should show up, don’t know why wouldn’t. downer

Signature 

Genesis is head & shoulders above “Genesis 2” (or better known as BF2/BM2) and is the FAR superior figure. Why? It doesn’t suffer from the UN-necessary gender split

My DeviantArt Page.

ULTIMATE SUPER-HERO FREEBIES!

The Supersuit product comes with a Basic Supersuit. DAZ has finally fixed it’s UV’s. Re-Download now to receive the update. Thanks DAZ! smile

Posted: 17 October 2012 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I found them thanks.  they don’t seem to carry over to poser when I save the hair as a subset and then use the DSON importer from within poser.

Posted: 17 October 2012 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  521
Joined  2006-07-28

But ... but ... I prefer the Poser forum over the Commons!

It’s like a sanctuary.

esther - 16 October 2012 07:58 PM

from our exile to the poserforum and come back to the commons?

instead of having our own forum which is going to be half DS related anyway.  Also the name the commons implies everyone.  I think a lot of the topics here are relevant to us whingy little whiney poser folk.
Love esther

Signature 

Satira Capriccio on deviantART

Posted: 17 October 2012 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7668
Joined  2009-07-13

thats it! I should have as my question about saving dynamic cloth morphs on parts of rigged clothing items in the Carrara forum!
(actually it WAS Carrara I ultimatety wanted to get it into and dyntomorph py only works on objects)

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 17 October 2012 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5912
Joined  2006-02-20

There are different kinds of hairs ... maybe this helps:
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/1866/

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki: https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org

Posted: 18 October 2012 05:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14312
Joined  2003-10-09

This thread is, as I understand it, about where people post - not the relative merits of two applications. Let’s not start App War CCXVII please.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 18 October 2012 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

don’t mention the war!

2 of 3