Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2
Posted: 02 December 2012 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 841 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1538
Joined  2007-12-10
LordHardDriven - 02 December 2012 12:52 PM
mermaid010 - 01 December 2012 02:46 AM

@Dave– you mentioned somewhere in this thread, that you could no longer open your beach scene –Bryce crashes. I can no longer open this scene too, Bryce crashes and I wanted to save the modified materials. Did you solve the issue about opening your beach scene?

I don’t know if this is the case in your situation but you mentioned using HDRI’s and there was something I remembered from one of David or Horo’s tutorials invloving HDRI’s and crashes. Basically it had to do with using really high resolution HDRI’s that due to their size saving them could cause a crash and so the work around was to save the scene with a lower resolution HDRI but when you want to render it switch out the lower resolution for a higher resolution version of the HDRI. I don’t know if that’s what is going on in your case but it might be given how you described things?

I think this original question passed me by somehow… sorry about that.

No, I didn’t get the file to open again. It wasn’t altering the materials that did it though as I altered the materials in a different document so I could easier isolate the parts of the car model to figure out which mesh was causing the black hole fireflies.

I think the problem with the document was that the car is a complex model and in a document with two high res daz people (V4 and M4), terrains with water materials mapped onto them plus some volumetrics, several trees, IBL lighting from an HDRI sky, there is a lot of possibilities for something not liking something else. The file is only 69Mb big so it’s not the largest I’ve created, but as soon as I try to open it, it crashes Bryce out apparently before even trying to do all the convert OpenGL stuff it does.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 02 December 2012 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 842 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3332
Joined  2004-10-01

The file size is a bit misleading, because the scene is saved using a non-destructive compressing algorithm. This is so since Bryce 6.0. Beware, the file is loaded into memory, then unpacked in memory and finally the file loaded dumped out of the memory. The scene itself may still fit into memory but not with the file in memory as well. The same happens when saving. The scene is compressed in memory and then written to disk and the memory released. This is faster than working on the drive but disastrous for a 32 bit application.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 02 December 2012 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 843 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1308
Joined  2006-08-19

Wings3d has developed a bug

Image Attachments
ant.jpg
 Signature 

http://rarethdigitalmusings.blogspot.com/

http://rareth1966.deviantart.com/gallery/

Posted: 02 December 2012 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 844 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3332
Joined  2004-10-01

Wow! Creepy.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 02 December 2012 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 845 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  506
Joined  2004-06-12

@David
Yes, please do that, attach it to an email if you would.

I’d like to examine it and see how it relates to 20 high and why you needed 20 high, very curious about that.  Won’t be able to look at it yet though, will have to wait until I’ve backed stuff up and reformatted and I don’t know when that’ll be.  I’m trying to get things done during the good weather (what very little there is of it) and getting other things done.  Doing a reformat and putting everything back takes a bloody week or so.

BTW, if you’re enjoying the knives so much, why not do a stainless steel blade with the brushed effect and practice some blood on it, make it streak and bead like it would on a real blade, like the effect you get when water hits a freshly waxed car (not that I think your Subaru ever sees fresh wax, and therefore you would even know what it looks like) :-D

Posted: 02 December 2012 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 846 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  506
Joined  2004-06-12

PS: David. just spotted your edit, thanks for the heads-up on the bump, great stuff!

Posted: 02 December 2012 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 847 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2012-10-14
Horo - 01 December 2012 11:33 AM
eireann.sg - 01 December 2012 03:54 AM

When you still patrolled Platzspitz they only did Heroin and Shit and now its worse, right? LOL
Do they still distribute free syringes with the syringe packages lying all over the place?

That was fashinable in the late sixties and early seventies. No idea what they do now. Probably nothing you could learn anything decent from watching.

The only thing you could learn was that this must have been the only dirty place in the otherwise so clean Switzerland.

Posted: 02 December 2012 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 848 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-19

hmmm I have discovered Sculptris, something new and fun to learn..  I might need help is there AA for 3D artists?

Image Attachments
sculpt-test.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 02 December 2012 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 849 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2008-11-26
TheSavage64 - 02 December 2012 01:32 PM

@Dave– you mentioned somewhere in this thread, that you could no longer open your beach scene –Bryce crashes. I can no longer open this scene too, Bryce crashes and I wanted to save the modified materials. Did you solve the issue about opening your beach scene?

I don’t know if this is the case in your situation but you mentioned using HDRI’s and there was something I remembered from one of David or Horo’s tutorials invloving HDRI’s and crashes. Basically it had to do with using really high resolution HDRI’s that due to their size saving them could cause a crash and so the work around was to save the scene with a lower resolution HDRI but when you want to render it switch out the lower resolution for a higher resolution version of the HDRI. I don’t know if that’s what is going on in your case but it might be given how you described things?

No, I didn’t get the file to open again. It wasn’t altering the materials that did it though as I altered the materials in a different document so I could easier isolate the parts of the car model to figure out which mesh was causing the black hole fireflies.

I think the problem with the document was that the car is a complex model and in a document with two high res daz people (V4 and M4), terrains with water materials mapped onto them plus some volumetrics, several trees, IBL lighting from an HDRI sky, there is a lot of possibilities for something not liking something else. The file is only 69Mb big so it’s not the largest I’ve created, but as soon as I try to open it, it crashes Bryce out apparently before even trying to do all the convert OpenGL stuff it does.

Thanks for the replies. I used Horo’s IceFire Hdri. I think it would be the Hdri as the file size is only 11.7mb and it wasn’t a very complex scenic like Dave’s.

Horo I will remember to save like you suggested. David mentions this method of saving in various tutorials but we never learn till we are thought a lesson.

@ Rareth - your Wings 3d renders are awesome. Like the diamond ring, wish I had one like that .wink

Posted: 02 December 2012 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 850 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-19
mermaid010 - 02 December 2012 09:36 PM
TheSavage64 - 02 December 2012 01:32 PM

Thanks for the replies. I used Horo’s IceFire Hdri. I think it would be the Hdri as the file size is only 11.7mb and it wasn’t a very complex scenic like Dave’s.

Horo I will remember to save like you suggested. David mentions this method of saving in various tutorials but we never learn till we are thought a lesson.

@ Rareth - your Wings 3d renders are awesome. Like the diamond ring, wish I had one like that .wink

thank you for your kind words.

yes that ring turned out pretty well.  I could always run it through Hexagon and make a DAZ prop out of it..

Signature 

Posted: 02 December 2012 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 851 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-19

ok another “thing” done in sculptris and imported to Bryce for textureing and rendering

Image Attachments
sulptris1.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 03 December 2012 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 852 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  926
Joined  2003-10-09
Rareth - 02 December 2012 07:51 PM

hmmm I have discovered Sculptris, something new and fun to learn..  I might need help is there AA for 3D artists?

I believe they do and that this is their twelve steps. smile

1.We admitted we were powerless over 3D Art - that our lives had become controlled by the time it takes to render
2.Came to believe that a Computer greater than the one we currently own could restore us to sanity.
3.Made a decision to turn our will and our finances over to the care of the Daz web site.
4.Made a searching and fearless purchase inventory of our 3D content collection.
5.Admitted to Daz, to ourselves, and to strangers on the Daz forum the exact nature of our 3D Art.
6.Were entirely ready to have Daz run up our credit cards to their limit.
7.Humbly asked Daz to upgrade Bryce.
8.Made a list of all persons we had shown our art to, and became willing to show them more even when they didn’t ask to see it.
9.Made posts thanking such people for their comments on our art wherever possible, except when they were rude and criticized our work.
10.Continued to take content inventory, and when we found something was missing, promptly bought it.
11.Sought through posts and bug reports to Daz to improve our favorite 3D software, praying only that our render times would improve     and our computers would have the power to handle it.
12.Having developed some skills as the result of these steps, we tried to become vendors selling content to new 3D artists, and to spend our profits on an even more powerful computers

Posted: 03 December 2012 01:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 853 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2009-10-02

Mountains High

Image Attachments
MountonsHigh.jpg

Posted: 03 December 2012 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 854 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  605
Joined  2010-02-18

Love all the wonderful renders and artworks - I’m way behind.

Anyway, the latest…for the time of year… smile Snowflakes aren’t true volumetric - just a series of planes with fuzzy, elongated dots on them, placed here and there throughout the fore/backgrounds

Title: “Winterwood”

Jay

Image Attachments
Winterwood.jpg

Posted: 03 December 2012 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 855 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-19
LordHardDriven - 03 December 2012 01:46 AM
Rareth - 02 December 2012 07:51 PM

I believe they do and that this is their twelve steps. smile

1.We admitted we were powerless over 3D Art - that our lives had become controlled by the time it takes to render
2.Came to believe that a Computer greater than the one we currently own could restore us to sanity.
3.Made a decision to turn our will and our finances over to the care of the Daz web site.
4.Made a searching and fearless purchase inventory of our 3D content collection.
5.Admitted to Daz, to ourselves, and to strangers on the Daz forum the exact nature of our 3D Art.
6.Were entirely ready to have Daz run up our credit cards to their limit.
7.Humbly asked Daz to upgrade Bryce.
8.Made a list of all persons we had shown our art to, and became willing to show them more even when they didn’t ask to see it.
9.Made posts thanking such people for their comments on our art wherever possible, except when they were rude and criticized our work.
10.Continued to take content inventory, and when we found something was missing, promptly bought it.
11.Sought through posts and bug reports to Daz to improve our favorite 3D software, praying only that our render times would improve     and our computers would have the power to handle it.
12.Having developed some skills as the result of these steps, we tried to become vendors selling content to new 3D artists, and to spend our profits on an even more powerful computers

I think I’m on step 6…

Image Attachments
mountains.jpg
 Signature 

57 of 100