50 of 100
Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2
Posted: 30 November 2012 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 736 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2012-10-14
David Brinnen - 30 November 2012 03:40 AM
eireann.sg - 29 November 2012 06:38 PM

I find the knives look very nice. Does it always have to look 100% realistic?

BTW: I just found that if you create boolean shape, export it to [NAME].obj and re-import it then you dont have a single shape but a group of fragment which can be ungrouped and torn apart.

No it doesn’t have to look realistic, but if I could get it 100% realistic that would satisfy one of my aims with this scene.

Thanks for the feedback!

Have you ever watched Babylon 5?
Even in the Space station itself you see the actually low resolution of the meshes and look at the materials, and people found it great.
It looks much better what we can do now

Posted: 30 November 2012 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 737 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1623
Joined  2007-12-10
eireann.sg - 30 November 2012 12:42 AM

Actually it adds loads to rendering time.
7 spheres render faster than one sphere minus 6 spheres.

Yes, the way you were doing it…. however, If you make it into a mesh, it is no longer one sphere minus 6 spheres. It is one single mesh… The same as you would get with any other modelling application such as Carrara, Blender or Hexagon.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 30 November 2012 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 738 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1315
Joined  2006-08-19
TheSavage64 - 29 November 2012 07:46 PM
eireann.sg - 29 November 2012 06:21 PM

Yes, that helped. I would never have thought of that rather complicated way of getting rid of the additional baggage Booleaning with Bryce comes with.

Well it only takes seconds to do, so it’s not like it adds loads of time to the process and in my opinion, is still easier and quicker than trying to extrude a shape in Carrara or the other modelling applications that I’ve tried out in the past. But I am so familiar with the Bryce interface that I will be biased about it’s ease of use. smile

converting the booleans to a mesh then doing the export, re-import does not appear to render slower than the boolean group. times pretty much seems the same to me.  one there are a LOT of boolean groups then things seem to slow down, converting them to then doing the .obj export/import would speed it back up, as once its a mesh, the engine doesn’t have to do boolean calculations anymore.

Image Attachments
meshtest.jpg
 Signature 

http://rarethdigitalmusings.blogspot.com/

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/35801

Posted: 30 November 2012 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 739 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  927
Joined  2003-10-09
TheSavage64 - 29 November 2012 07:46 PM
eireann.sg - 29 November 2012 06:21 PM

Yes, that helped. I would never have thought of that rather complicated way of getting rid of the additional baggage Booleaning with Bryce comes with.

Well it only takes seconds to do, so it’s not like it adds loads of time to the process and in my opinion, is still easier and quicker than trying to extrude a shape in Carrara or the other modelling applications that I’ve tried out in the past. But I am so familiar with the Bryce interface that I will be biased about it’s ease of use. smile

I think he meant it only takes seconds to export it and then reimport it as an .obj

Posted: 30 November 2012 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 740 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
David Brinnen - 30 November 2012 03:40 AM

I keep trying to push things a little bit further - but for skin, the lack of inbuilt SSS is proving a real stumbling block.

Maybe the programmers found it to be a real stumbling block too and that’s why it’s not inbuilt?

Posted: 30 November 2012 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 741 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-19

ok boolean to mesh render time test 2

ok with render option set to Regular, render time is 10 seconds

with render option set to Premium, 16RPP Ray Depth 6 I get this

Image Attachments
testreport.jpgtest2.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 30 November 2012 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 742 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Rareth - 30 November 2012 07:48 AM

ok boolean to mesh render time test 2

ok with render option set to Regular, render time is 10 seconds

with render option set to Premium, 16RPP Ray Depth 6 I get this

Seems to me that just tests the difference between render settings and the fact that booleans are the object being rendered is incidental. Wouldn’t a better test be to compare and object made from booleans in bryce to a similar object made in say blender or wings3d and then imported into bryce?

Posted: 30 November 2012 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 743 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-19

ah but those are not booleans anymore, those are the imported meshes of the booleans created in bryce,

also did not provide enough information in the previous post..  1 of those objects renders in 8 seconds, 11 of them in ten seconds,
I’ll have to redo the scene in just boolean groups and check render times,

*addendum

ok similar scene with just booleans no mesh conversion magic,  premium renders time with the same settings as above 26 seconds..

clearly its time for me to shut my mouth since I need to run tests on both my computers before posting as they are affected differently by scene changes.

Image Attachments
test3.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 30 November 2012 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 744 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Rareth - 30 November 2012 08:07 AM

ah but those are not booleans anymore, those are the imported meshes of the booleans created in bryce,

also did not provide enough information in the previous post..  1 of those objects renders in 8 seconds, 11 of them in ten seconds,
I’ll have to redo the scene in just boolean groups and check render times,

*addendum

ok similar scene with just booleans no mesh conversion magic,  premium renders time with the same settings as above 26 seconds..

clearly its time for me to shut my mouth since I need to run tests on both my computers before posting as they are affected differently by scene changes.

Okay well you didn’t make that clear. The way you worded it I thought you just took the same scene consisting of booleans and changed the render settings. It seems that would skew the results though then. A fair test would be to use the same render settings but the difference being in one render booleans are used in the other an identical object made without the use of booleans. Since the premise being tested is that booleans significantly increase render times compared to a similar non boolean object.

Posted: 30 November 2012 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 745 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10
LordHardDriven - 30 November 2012 08:43 AM

Okay well you didn’t make that clear. The way you worded it I thought you just took the same scene consisting of booleans and changed the render settings. It seems that would skew the results though then. A fair test would be to use the same render settings but the difference being in one render booleans are used in the other an identical object made without the use of booleans. Since the premise being tested is that booleans significantly increase render times compared to a similar non boolean object.

I appreciate Rareth’s tests, but I think that the mention of render times was a red herring anyway.
The original discussion was about modelling in Bryce, not rendering.

To use my barrels as an example again, from blank screen to finished scene was less than 20 minutes.
Actually making the first barrel was about half of that time (so 10 minutes to build and texture the model).

If we’re going to start talking about render times, that then starts to depend on so much more than simply the model.
If a model was built in any other application and imported into Bryce as a mesh, it would take the same time to render as a mesh made in Bryce.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 30 November 2012 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 746 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
TheSavage64 - 30 November 2012 09:09 AM
LordHardDriven - 30 November 2012 08:43 AM

I appreciate Rareth’s tests, but I think that the mention of render times was a red herring anyway.
The original discussion was about modelling in Bryce, not rendering.

To use my barrels as an example again, from blank screen to finished scene was less than 20 minutes.
Actually making the first barrel was about half of that time (so 10 minutes to build and texture the model).

If we’re going to start talking about render times, that then starts to depend on so much more than simply the model.
If a model was built in any other application and imported into Bryce as a mesh, it would take the same time to render as a mesh made in Bryce.

I agree in theory. I just felt that what prompted the test was eireann.sg saying something to the effect of it takes longer to render 7 spheres minus 1 then it does to render the same shape made differently.

Posted: 30 November 2012 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 747 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-19

a return to bryce modeling..

Image Attachments
spacestation.jpgcrane.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 30 November 2012 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 748 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2009-10-02

Entrance to hell

Image Attachments
Entrance_to_hell.jpg

Posted: 30 November 2012 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 749 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

A few times now I’ve had a look at saving the renders as .hdr files.

Here is a comparison of the file saved as .hdr and .tiff saves.
Both were then taken into Photoshop and colour curves and saturation levels altered and the .hdr was converted down to 8 bit using the hdri options in photoshop.

Top pic; HDR file
Bottom pic: TIFF file

Image Attachments
Patio1.jpgPatio2.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 30 November 2012 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 750 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3563
Joined  2004-10-01
Roland4 - 30 November 2012 01:43 PM

Entrance to hell

Nice idea.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

50 of 100