Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2
Posted: 04 November 2012 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 271 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1550
Joined  2007-12-10

If it’s any use to you Jay, mine started off life as clear glass. cheese

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 04 November 2012 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 272 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3384
Joined  2004-10-01
David Brinnen - 04 November 2012 10:22 AM

A short random treat… for anyone who want’s to experiment with something new, different, hidden and a bit broken.

Bryce undocumented feature - the sea foam Easter egg - by David Brinnen

Ah, that one from the SC times. When I experimented with it at the time, it did not always work. Good to know that it is limited to normal priority. Who found that out, Graham?

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 04 November 2012 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 273 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2536
Joined  2004-07-06
Horo - 04 November 2012 01:43 PM
David Brinnen - 04 November 2012 10:22 AM

A short random treat… for anyone who want’s to experiment with something new, different, hidden and a bit broken.

Bryce undocumented feature - the sea foam Easter egg - by David Brinnen

Ah, that one from the SC times. When I experimented with it at the time, it did not always work. Good to know that it is limited to normal priority. Who found that out, Graham?

Normal? I thought it was low.  I don’t know who discovered this detail, but it was through Grahams labour of keeping notes that I found it again in SC.

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 04 November 2012 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 274 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

Thanks - yes, I meant low - and that’s what you said in the video.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 04 November 2012 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 275 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06

Well since I’ve not done anything with her for a while I figured I best get Vicky out for a play…

First image I was tinkering with skin.  The most noticeable thing about her face for me is the weird symmetry it has, the skin maps supplied are not correct as far as bump for Bryce and both materials and model are too overly perfect.

I modified the skin material a bit and the cornea - which had inappropriate material settings for Bryce.

Second image, the lighting from the first image applied to the entire model.

I modified the clothing lapels which had inappropriate specular settings for Bryce.

Image Attachments
facelight1.jpgThreelight1.jpg
 Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 04 November 2012 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 276 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  620
Joined  2010-02-18

Savage…, yes, tried the glass too (there’s an actual water one in the glass mats), but as I was working with water, I thought I would keep the setup as that.

Below, is the problem I have with the water and the internal refractive/reflective rays. I must have something incorrect, as stated before – e.g. has it got to do with the parallel light used, the settings for it etc. As the ref index of the drop is changed from air (note the ray goes simply through without no effect of refraction as expected) to max it’s obvious there is refraction of the light, but there should also be reflection occurring too at where the refracted light is meeting the interior wall of the droplet (blue A). The ideal situation is given in the last image, which is why we get rainbows, caustics etc. I just thought that we could see the same effects in Bryce droplets.

I don’t know what is happening. The Bryce setup may not be sensitive enough to see all rays, which is waht I think is the casue, else, the initial light physics in Bryce for the mats is wrong, or is using a different method for producing diffraction/reflection effects. But, I doubt that is the case.

David…saw the Easter egg vid…now I am really puzzled. No, not by the vid, but why the term ‘Easter egg’ – emmmm, let me guess, it was discovered at Easter time. No, that can’t be it. No wait, it’s some secret, in-house jokey word you programmers use smile Nah, that’s not it either. I also like the skin effects achieved from Vicky, but I think it’s the staring eyes that in some of these models that is also giving the illusion of a rendered face, and not a natural one.

Jay

Image Attachments
drop-physcis.jpg

Posted: 04 November 2012 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 277 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2005-10-11

Savage,
nice render! 
One thing strikes me about it, though, as well as Jay’s…...the droplets are too regular, and don’t cling at the top, bulge at the bottom
due to surface tension & gravity.

Took a few closeups for examples to show what I mean…....would model some irregular droplets, then position them into the surface of the glass, tile, etc. ......i.e. instead of on the surface. =)

Image Attachments
3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg
 Signature 

My YouTube channel 
www.blenderportal.com

Posted: 04 November 2012 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 278 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10
Jamahoney - 04 November 2012 05:01 PM

David…saw the Easter egg vid…now I am really puzzled. No, not by the vid, but why the term ‘Easter egg’ – emmmm, let me guess, it was discovered at Easter time. No, that can’t be it. No wait, it’s some secret, in-house jokey word you programmers use smile Nah, that’s not it either. I also like the skin effects achieved from Vicky, but I think it’s the staring eyes that in some of these models that is also giving the illusion of a rendered face, and not a natural one.

Sorry I can’t help with the refraction question, but I can at least answer the Easter Egg question;
Any hidden feature within any software application is called an Easter Egg. This derives from the tradition of hiding Easter eggs for children to find (I think it’s mostly an American tradition). Some fine examples of Easter Eggs can be found on Google, for instance, type the word tilt into the search bar and hit enter. wink

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 04 November 2012 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 279 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10
megacal - 04 November 2012 05:59 PM

Savage,
nice render! 
One thing strikes me about it, though, as well as Jay’s…...the droplets are too regular, and don’t cling at the top, bulge at the bottom
due to surface tension & gravity.

Took a few closeups for examples to show what I mean…....would model some irregular droplets, then position them into the surface of the glass, tile, etc. ......i.e. instead of on the surface. =)

You are of course correct, but the client isn’t paying me enough for such an amount of detail. I’m already not charging them for the three and a half hours it took to render. grin

Signature 

Posted: 04 November 2012 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 280 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10
David Brinnen - 04 November 2012 04:14 PM

Well since I’ve not done anything with her for a while I figured I best get Vicky out for a play…

First image I was tinkering with skin.  The most noticeable thing about her face for me is the weird symmetry it has, the skin maps supplied are not correct as far as bump for Bryce and both materials and model are too overly perfect.

I modified the skin material a bit and the cornea - which had inappropriate material settings for Bryce.

I modified the clothing lapels which had inappropriate specular settings for Bryce.

David, I realise I don’t comment on your contributions too often… it would get very repetitive to keep saying “excellent stuff” all the time. grin
But needless to say your recent stuff (as always) has been much appreciated and eventually I’ll get to play catch up with the latest batch of tutorials too.
Luckily (for me) payed work has gotten in the way of learning new stuff, but hopefully after next week, things will get a bit less hectic here.

I may have to give Daz Studio another try, Poser is very hit and miss when I export people from there and it takes quite a lot of work to get them looking anywhere near right, although the Bridge has it’s bugs and quirks, it may help me (by making it a bit easier) to incorporate more people into my renders.

Signature 

Posted: 04 November 2012 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 281 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  926
Joined  2003-10-09
Jamahoney - 04 November 2012 05:01 PM

Jay

This is strictly a guess but I believe the term easter egg comes from the fact that it’s deliberately hidden but waiting to be found much like an Easter Egg in an Easter Egg hunt for kids. It’s also not a new thing, various programs have had various “Easter Eggs” for years and years I’m not sure when the practice of hiding “Easter Eggs” in programs started or why though.

Posted: 05 November 2012 02:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 282 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

Easter eggs, at least in Bryce, are often code parts that were not developed fully and not activated. The particle emitter is also such an Easter egg.

Signature 

Posted: 05 November 2012 02:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 283 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06
TheSavage64 - 04 November 2012 06:48 PM
David Brinnen - 04 November 2012 04:14 PM

David, I realise I don’t comment on your contributions too often… it would get very repetitive to keep saying “excellent stuff” all the time. grin
But needless to say your recent stuff (as always) has been much appreciated and eventually I’ll get to play catch up with the latest batch of tutorials too.
Luckily (for me) payed work has gotten in the way of learning new stuff, but hopefully after next week, things will get a bit less hectic here.

I may have to give Daz Studio another try, Poser is very hit and miss when I export people from there and it takes quite a lot of work to get them looking anywhere near right, although the Bridge has it’s bugs and quirks, it may help me (by making it a bit easier) to incorporate more people into my renders.

Thank you Dave, and no I don’t expect continual a commentary.  I know how it is to be in the fortunate state of having plenty of work on.  And when I don’t I play catch up.  Indeed, this thread marches on faster than I can keep track, because I’m instead working back through my emails (some of which I should have attended to months ago) and “todo” list of ideas for tutorials (which is generally what I focus on first).  Seems to me with finally getting to grips with the new lighting and material options in Bryce there is the potential to raise the bar for all Brycers willing to commit a bit more time to their final renders.

And I find the problem solving aspect to the whole process probably the most interesting bit.

Here for example, in answer to a question submitted by Mark Noke to the Bryce-Tutorials.info contact page

Bryce 5 minute problem - how to prevent your boat from getting waterlogged? - by David Brinnen

The final render uses the blurred anisotropic reflection effect and a bit of IBL driven TA.  Those are not fireflies in the boat by the way, they are supposed to be knots in the wood…

By it’s simplicity I think this render shows off the benefit of getting the lighting and materials right.  There is nothing to this scene, a terrain, an infinite plane and a simple boat model (with cutter), yet I think it looks nice.

Image Attachments
bailed2.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 05 November 2012 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 284 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

The cutter-video is really good. Short and to the point. I was never in this situation but it is good to know that there is a simple and straightforward way to do it.

Signature 

Posted: 05 November 2012 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 285 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  620
Joined  2010-02-18

Still in the ‘drop’ area: below, another finalised work.

The ripple-like effects were produced by simply creating a bump map of circles (below the main image). Forgive the over-abundance of drops’ interest; it’s probably ‘off-topic’ in this ‘Show us your renders’ thread.

Jay

Image Attachments
raindrops-test1.jpg

19 of 100