Digital Art Zone

18 of 100
Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2
Posted: 03 November 2012 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 256 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2009-08-18

@GussNemo
thank you for the comments.  I am trying to get active poses and expressions on my characters. This expression was muddled by resizing and using jpeg but I’m glad it still “reads”.
@Horo
thank you for your comments. I am trying to overcome the rigid aspects of my characters and get more fluid interaction with the Bryce props.

And now for something a little different-I jump around my subjects alot, LOL! I was going for the night with the background terrain lit by ambience in the Bryce city material. Again, looked good in Bryce, and exported tif, but resizing and jpeging dimmed the material. The dashboard light was fun, but I only realized later the car floor must be hollow because it made the glow appear underneath, not from the tailights. I did put a cube under the seat but it was not enough, Iguess.The headlight beams were very difficult. I tried DavidB’s tutorial, and some others. What I resorted to was two radial lights “inside” the lamp base and two cones on the road.

Image Attachments
GuyTBird.jpg
 Signature 

See my gallery http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/?q=IceScribe&x=14&y=10

Posted: 03 November 2012 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 257 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2643
Joined  2004-07-06

Something everyone should know about.

Why you should consider exporting your renders as HDRI - by Horo Wernli

Thank you to Horo for making this video.  Even if you don’t favour postwork, the insights into high dynamic range imagery will still stand you in good stead when it comes to thinking about the impact of lighting in your scenes.

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 03 November 2012 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 258 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  697
Joined  2010-02-18

Experimenting now with water drops…they aren’t as easy as I initially thought.

Ice…very nice work…love that cool-looking car - defintely a ‘babe-magnet’ wink

Jay

Image Attachments
mydrop1.jpg

Posted: 03 November 2012 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 259 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1688
Joined  2007-12-10

Probably the last Dalek/Dr Who one for a while.
In this one I was trying to show that the inside of the TARDIS is bigger than the outside.
A complicated use of a matt black plane and some complex boolean modelling.

I think it may have worked better if I’d spent some time on the interior of the TARDIS though… But I had a gig tonight and had to set it rendering before I set off. smile

Image Attachments
Daleks-Surround-ALT.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 03 November 2012 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 260 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10
Jamahoney - 03 November 2012 04:27 PM

Experimenting now with water drops…they aren’t as easy as I initially thought.

Jay

I had the same sort of trouble when I was setting up my Unhappy Halloween render a few weeks ago. The difference being that I was trying to make a material that looked like a pool of fresh blood.

Getting the correct reflection, refraction and transparency colour right seemed to be the key for me.
And my blood material only works under these lighting conditions. Change the light and the blood becomes either rosé wine or black oil. rolleyes

Looking at your droplets, I would say there is too much reflection on them, you don’t seem to be able to see through the water at all. Though the highlights on them look great, you could loose some of the reflection and add some specular highlighting.

The classic to practice on would be the dew drops on a leaf… There are plenty of reference photos on the intertubes to study. smile

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 03 November 2012 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 261 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1601
Joined  2011-09-25

@Dave:  Love the TARDIS images, with one, small, exception.  The doors of the TARDIS open inward.  Yeah, I know,  artistic license.  Still, really nice job depicting those characters.

@Jay:  I like your water drops image, and I have a question.  The light intensity of the sky is low, but the light you show going through the droplets is high; the bright light on the surface.  Wouldn’t that light be lower, to match the sky intensity, then how it’s shown in the image?

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 04 November 2012 03:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 262 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3654
Joined  2004-10-01

@IceScribe - the car and the driver look good.

@Jamahoney - the water droplets look nice, but not wet. Try a bit of specularity and more transparency.

@TheSavage64 - those Dalek/Dr Who render are all very nice. The streaming light out of the phone boot came out very good.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 04 November 2012 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 263 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-18

Savage & Horo…I changed the settings as suggested (e.g. reflection around 5, specularity around 100), but I don’t know if they made much of a difference? I did say initially - “water drops…they aren’t as easy as I initially thought”.

I’ve maintained the refractive index of water at 1.33 (Bryce equivalent = 133) throughout (what about the refractive index of the outside – is Bryce’s setup at air refractive index as default. or, does that apply at all?), zero bump, surface values in the texture editor are, thereabouts, all at white, and tried using different water materials but there wasn’t much a difference. I’m sure I have these values incorrect, but then, that’s the method of experimentation.

Guss: The light intensity of the sky is low, but the light you show going through the droplets is high; the bright light on the surface. Wouldn’t that light be lower, to match the sky intensity, then how it’s shown in the image?

Guss…I don’t know what is happening here, but I would assume that the light being refracted is somewhat magnified, and so intensely brightened around certain points (similar like we see in a magnifying glass where the refracted light rays become more focused).

Jay

Posted: 04 November 2012 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 264 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2005-10-11

Hi all,

re: droplets…...to me, it’s a family scene…..Mom, Dad, and 2 youngsters.
My mind would accept they are droplets of water if they were clinging to the side of e.g. a glass of beer.

But I like the possibility of them being beings on a distant planet, in a distant galaxy.  =)   
Also, if that’s a terrain, then they are very large droplet beings! =O   On holiday?

Nice caustics…...may not be totally realistic, but I don’t think it has to be completely accurate to be pleasing.
I like the sky reflections and the light on the ground.

But if you want them to be droplets, then I’d give the mind a more believable setting, e.g. on a glass, on a leaf, etc.

Who knows what you’d find in a droplet on a leaf as you zoom down, down, down to see the inhabitants of that little universe. =)

Signature 

My YouTube channel 
www.blenderportal.com

Posted: 04 November 2012 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 265 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3654
Joined  2004-10-01

@Jamahoney - yes, Bryce assumes the refraction index of air. You can change that only for materials. And the Refraction number is 100 fold the index. For Specularity, there is also the Specular Halo colour to be taken into account. There are dramatic differences for each increment from 250 to 255.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 04 November 2012 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 266 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2643
Joined  2004-07-06

A short random treat… for anyone who want’s to experiment with something new, different, hidden and a bit broken.

Bryce undocumented feature - the sea foam Easter egg - by David Brinnen

Image Attachments
Sea_foam_easter_egg2.jpg
 Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 04 November 2012 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 267 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-18

Megacal…Hi Cal…sent you a PM. Yes, I had intentions on putting the drops onto a leaf, however, I just created this terrain at random. BUT, whose to say this isn’t a very, very close-up view of a leaf? Haha…if I get away with that one, then I’ve defintely ‘dropped’ (oooohh what an obvious pun) a clanger on ya smile

On the droplets on a glasss issue, yes, I’m looking at that right now - want to create that out-of-focus look of droplets on a camera lens, if you know what I mean. The findings might be useful for future, rainy-type artworks.

Horo…ah yes, will chage the Halo colour as suggest and see whatt happens.

Jay

Posted: 04 November 2012 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 268 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16359
Joined  2003-10-09
David Brinnen - 04 November 2012 10:22 AM

A short random treat… for anyone who want’s to experiment with something new, different, hidden and a bit broken.

Bryce undocumented feature - the sea foam Easter egg - by David Brinnen

That is very useful, thankyou David.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        October Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 04 November 2012 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 269 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10
Jamahoney - 04 November 2012 10:57 AM

On the droplets on a glasss issue, yes, I’m looking at that right now - want to create that out-of-focus look of droplets on a camera lens, if you know what I mean. The findings might be useful for future, rainy-type artworks.

By coincidence, today I’ve been working on a less than interesting illustration for a building and DIY products catalogue that involved a tiled surface with droplets of water on it.

Image Attachments
TilesDoneSmall.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 04 November 2012 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 270 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-18

Savage…very nice work and I would get well away with those as real-looking drops. If it’s of any use, I’ve used the ‘Still & Deep’ water material (second in Mat Lab), and changed the values as below, but experimentation, I’m sure, would yield better results.

Interestingly enough, and I’m sure I’m doing something incorrect, however, if a direct beam of light is shone through one of these droplets, a sectional view shows refraction okay of the beam of light, but I’m having problems with the reflective properties of the refracted beam afterwards as it strikes the inner wall of the drop. Perhaps, Horo might throw some light (ahem) on it.

Jay

Image Attachments
water-stats.jpg

18 of 100