Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2
Posted: 16 October 2012 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1777
Joined  2007-12-10
silverdali - 16 October 2012 02:15 PM

something a little different i have been experimenting with mats

This gives great and crisp reflections… very nice.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 16 October 2012 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17075
Joined  2003-10-09

That is quite fascinatiing

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 16 October 2012 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2012-08-14

@ silverdali. To me it,s a big WOW!!! I love it great job .

Posted: 16 October 2012 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2691
Joined  2004-07-06

Well since Dave got me thinking about the role of haze I’ve been tinkering around with that.  The first image, I wanted the focus on the terrains hence leaving the sky empty.  TA render, 10 minutes, standard Bryce sun is the primary lights source.  Soft shadows 15.  Island material used for the terrain.  I wasn’t keen on the water.  So had another go…  Again 10 minute TA render.  Almost the same setup.  However, I used the spherical mapper to capture the Big Sur sky from the free could scene provided with 7.0 and changed the water.  And threw in one of the fine Stanford scanning repository models to act as some kind of focus.

Keryna, thank you, subtle and simple render.  It is the sparse scenes I like the best.  The less complex they are the more attention that can be lavished on everything else.  The iridescent shell material complements the sky very well.

Dave, the tank scene looks amiss.  I think maybe because we are looking right into the sun and yet it is not very bright.  The fading of the pyramids into golden haze is nice.  The range of contrasts is good.  The echo of the three tanks with the three pyramids is fine.  I think if the sun really looked like it was burning into the camera, maybe with some lens flare… maybe not.  I’m never sure about lens flare.

Silverdali, beautiful crisp render, I could easily imagine this as a frame in an animation.

Image Attachments
Ps2.jpgPs3.jpg
 Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 16 October 2012 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

That haze with the pyramids thing… That’s me learning about colour prespective, the nifty other thing to play with, thanks.

The Lens Flare… OK, I can do that easily enough.
grin

Image Attachments
Egypt-Tanks2b.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 16 October 2012 11:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1784
Joined  2011-09-25

@Silver:  That’s a very beautiful render.  How did you create it?

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 17 October 2012 01:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3831
Joined  2004-10-01

Reflections can give so nice effects. Excellent composition.

@David - landscape looks very nice. There is still that faint haze line where the Bryce horizon is.

TheSavage64 - 16 October 2012 06:12 PM

The Lens Flare… OK, I can do that easily enough.
grin

For me, definitive an improvement towards the bad. I prefer the first shot because if the atmosphere contains a lot of sand, the sun is dimmed. Sahara sand in the high atmosphere sometimes comes north to central Europe and dims the sun and tints the landscape into a yellowish-red colour. And those Photosop lens flares just don’t look natural. I have yet to see a lens that gives such perfectly round lens flares.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 17 October 2012 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2691
Joined  2004-07-06

Dave, lens flare… no, no. NO!  What were you thinking?  What was I thinking?  Clearly I was wrong.

Horo, that band of haze is above the horizon in this case, that is the top of the haze, I wanted to give the effect of the haze being settled and the tops of the hills poking out of the top.  Obviously this didn’t quite work.

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 17 October 2012 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

I know the lens flare doesn’t work, that’s why I used the grinning yellow bloke and only took 30 seconds to do it.  grin

Although I must say the actual sun part does look slightly more convincing to me bleached out and blurred, the lens flare rings are a distraction that like Horo says, don’t look much like real lens flare at all.

Signature 

Posted: 17 October 2012 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  151
Joined  2003-10-09
TheSavage64 - 16 October 2012 02:43 PM

Though I’m not exactly sure of what make and model the tanks are, I’m quite sure they aren’t contemporary to either of the world wars.

anorak alert

The tanks are actually Armoured Personnel Carriers - more specifically “Infantry Fighting Vehicles”. More specifically still, they are (low res) British “Warriors”.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Warrior_Infantry_Fighting_Vehicle.jpg
These are current equipment.

If you were to render a version of the Egyptian army (rather than the British) defending the ancient relics against Salafist attentions, you could use one of these:
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/m2a2-bradley-ods
which isn’t a bad model (shown below in non-Egyptian colours). The Egyptians mostly use the older M113 tracked IFV fitted with the Bradley turret, as well as lots of wheeled APCs.

Having said all that twaddle, I think the vague armoured vehicles suit the arty image nicely and convey your intention well (which I got, btw - the weapons are pointed outwards).

Slightly updated Bryce7 version of old Bryce5 TA test.

Image Attachments
Bradley8.jpg
 Signature 

The forumite previously known as PJF

Posted: 18 October 2012 04:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2010-02-18

First attempt of an interior.

Lighting: nine conical lights and one spherical. Tried volumetric lighting as per Dan’s fog cube setup, however, too many light rays ‘wash-out’ the scene (experimenting, therefore, a recommendation). Main light is behind the camera, and is affecting shadow intensity in areas like, for example, the cushion on the ground, leading edge of carpet, chair etc.,...and other areas (click image for larger view on these). Again, more experiementation required, however, for now, this is a finished work.

Artwork title: “Posh Pad”

Jay

Image Attachments
PoshPad.jpg

Posted: 18 October 2012 05:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

Looks good to me Jay…. I especially like the very natural looking contrast of the hard and soft shadows where the shadow from the chair and the window frame merge against the right wall.

You mention how you lit it but surely there’s also Bryce sun involved?
If you’re trying to achieve the same effect that Dan got with light beams shining in through the window (from the sun), maybe give it another go but turn the intensity of the sun right down? Yes the lights bouncing off the volumetric haze could have the effect of bleaching out, but I think a balance between sunlight intensity and haze amount could get past that problem.

Every time I’ve tried the volumetric world, it brings Bryce to a standstill. When the feature was first introduced in Bryce I did a simple render (typical palm tree island lit from behind) using volumetric world and for such a simple scene it took 14 hours to render…. I’ll see if I can find it later, the resulting effect was subtle to say the least. smile

Signature 

Posted: 18 October 2012 05:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

@PJF; Thanks for all that info.
Yes the tank (or APV as it turns out cheese) is a very low res freebie, from this website, which is an invaluable resource for thousands of little bits and pieces to import into Bryce and play with.

Signature 

Posted: 18 October 2012 05:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10
David Brinnen - 16 October 2012 03:40 PM

Well since Dave got me thinking about the role of haze I’ve been tinkering around with that.  The first image, I wanted the focus on the terrains hence leaving the sky empty.  TA render, 10 minutes, standard Bryce sun is the primary lights source.  Soft shadows 15.  Island material used for the terrain.  I wasn’t keen on the water.  So had another go…  Again 10 minute TA render.  Almost the same setup.  However, I used the spherical mapper to capture the Big Sur sky from the free could scene provided with 7.0 and changed the water.  And threw in one of the fine Stanford scanning repository models to act as some kind of focus.

Coming back to this David…

Personally I think the first one is better, though the reflection of the clouds certainly lifts the water in the second one.
Can I ask, what sort of scale do you usually use when setting up a scene, say in relation to the default ground plane square.
Sometimes I end up making my terrain massive in relation to that in order to get a good atmosphere going on and other times not.

One really good thing about Carrara (I flirted with it last year) is when you set up a new document you get to choose what scale you’re going to be working at and your choice there determines what units of measurement you use and sets things in scale. But when working in Bryce I don’t really ever consider scale on the various elements as I make them, meaning that I regularly encounter problems of placing an object from my library into a scene to find it’s for instance, a giant washing machine. I know it’s not much trouble to then just re-size it but I’ve often wondered if others use a consistent scale for their work.

Signature 

Posted: 18 October 2012 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3831
Joined  2004-10-01
TheSavage64 - 18 October 2012 05:24 AM

One really good thing about Carrara (I flirted with it last year) is when you set up a new document you get to choose what scale you’re going to be working at and your choice there determines what units of measurement you use and sets things in scale. But when working in Bryce I don’t really ever consider scale on the various elements as I make them, meaning that I regularly encounter problems of placing an object from my library into a scene to find it’s for instance, a giant washing machine. I know it’s not much trouble to then just re-size it but I’ve often wondered if others use a consistent scale for their work.

Size matters, particularly for outdoors when haze is used. I seldom start with a terrain smaller than 1000 BU. Often, I set 1 BU=1km and then I have a scale. Bryce doesn’t have that feature of scaling as Carrara does, but you can still scale it by assigning a particular unit to a BU. If you set 1 BU = 1 m, you can go directly down to 1 mm. There is a bit of calculation involved if you prefer miles, feet, inches.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

2 of 100