6 of 6
DSON for Poser - Whats YOUR verdict ?
Posted: 30 December 2012 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2310
Joined  2007-12-13

LOL!

It has to be said that it sometimes feels like Daz and Smith Micro have the money and we’re the monkeys!

CHEERS!

Posted: 30 December 2012 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2008-06-01

I regret installing and using it… its caused too many annoying error messages within DS, you know the drill.

Duplicate IDs,
start ups taking forever or
saved DUF scenes taking anywhere from 15 to 5 minutes to load up with more error msgs about duplicate IDs, runtime this and thats, and bugs.

I am going to have to uninstall everything and wipe the folders…
then reinstall.
re-register serials,
sift through the endless files to install the correct versions of files and so forth to try and avoid the dreaded duplicate id whatyoumightcall it.
“sigh” just thinking about it is making me depressed.
Then after doing all that… I will likely have to fix any saved scenes that may not work correctly because of models being updated over and over. Oyyy…

Funnily enough, Poser seems to not have any of this bitchy msging going on.

“things that make you go hmmm…”

Posted: 30 December 2012 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2008-06-01
Rogerbee - 30 December 2012 09:31 AM

LOL!

It has to be said that it sometimes feels like Daz and Smith Micro have the money and we’re the monkeys!

CHEERS!

I was one of those people (monkeys) that bought studio 4 pro when it was launched… can you imagine how much of a heel I felt like when it was offered freely a month later.

Fool me once… shame on you!

Fool me twice… I’ll marry your mother!!

(;P

Posted: 30 December 2012 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8523
Joined  2007-11-06
mardook - 30 December 2012 10:17 AM

I regret installing and using it… its caused too many annoying error messages within DS, you know the drill.

Duplicate IDs,
saved DUF scenes taking anywhere from 15 to 5 minutes to load up with more error msgs about duplicate IDs, runtime this and thats, and bugs.

then reinstall.
re-register serials,
sift through the endless files to install the correct versions of files and so forth to try and avoid the dreaded duplicate id whatyoumightcall it.
Then after doing all that… I will likely have to fix any saved scenes that may not work correctly because of models being updated over and over. Oyyy…

No error messages because the versions that give Duplicate ID errors are the pre-DSON versions, which won’t import into Poser via DSON.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 30 December 2012 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2310
Joined  2007-12-13

So,

I’m considering getting DS in the next few weeks, so, in theory, anything I install/download will be post DSON, perhaps more so if I install the latest beta right afterwards. Are there any potential issues I should be aware of!?

CHEERS!

Posted: 14 February 2013 01:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-01-22

I’m having the same issue that Krew was having with the Young Teens.  However, the solution that fixed your problem doesn’t appear to be working for me.  I have repeatedly deleted the files that appear in auto_adapted/content_files (only had one Genesis.cr2 in the first place, but decided to remove the created Teen cr2s in case they were corrupted as well) and cleared the DSON cache folder… yet every time I try to load Julie or Justin (or even Genesis to use the teen morphs) I still just end up with a slightly smaller version of the Genesis base form.

I also have V5 and M5 which both work fine.  (In fact, DSON seems to work fine for me in every instance except for the teens.)

... confused

Posted: 15 February 2013 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2003-10-09

Well, I never thought it would be a perfect match, but I am pleasantly surprised. Making custom morphs in DS seems to be pretty simple and using them in Poser is no drama.

I have noticed a couple of things though.
IK in Poser doesn’t seem to work with Genesis, which makes some aspects of posing a little more laborious.
If you want to add a new morph to a character, you need to reload the character from the figures library after installing the additional morphs, which is OK except for when you want to update existing scenes - it means setting up the character from scratch again, I’m prolly doing it wrong.
Clothes, well, I still have to practise converting clothes but that’s just me.
When making poses for Genesis in Poser, I have to manually edit the PZ2 ‘target figure’ setting to reference Gen4 characters instead of the automatically named geometry figure, otherwise weird things happen when reapplying the morph. Just another step but a bit of a nuisance.

Reusing old textures, tick
Improved bends, tick
Mesh smoothing, tick
Multi UVs, tick

Overall, pretty good, 7.5/10, Smiley Sticker

Posted: 15 February 2013 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5754
Joined  2006-02-20

IK:
http://www.sharecg.com/v/67133/view/11/Poser/Inverse-Kinematics-for-DAZ-Genesis-in-Poser

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 16 February 2013 12:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2003-10-09
Kerya - 15 February 2013 01:27 AM

IK:
http://www.sharecg.com/v/67133/view/11/Poser/Inverse-Kinematics-for-DAZ-Genesis-in-Poser

Awesome!! Thanks for the link. I should have guessed it’d be something straightforward.

Posted: 03 April 2013 03:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2006-09-02
fixmypcmike - 30 December 2012 04:17 PM
mardook - 30 December 2012 10:17 AM

Duplicate IDs,

then reinstall.
re-register serials,

No error messages because the versions that give Duplicate ID errors are the pre-DSON versions, which won’t import into Poser via DSON.

Sorry to bump this thread back again but I am now reinstalling everything again from zero in a new hard drive and having a fresh start and I will be the first time using the DSON with Poser 2012 Pro.

So from this information, is supossed that with the new DAZ Studio 4.5 (latest version) and using the new DAZ Install Manager, there would not be any problems using this DSON be Poser, or there is something I am missing?

Thanks

Posted: 03 April 2013 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2662
Joined  2004-04-25

Installing the latest DS 4.5 and DSON via the DIM is no guarantee the importer will work without a problem.

Issues with Poser and DSON and various versions of Poser have ranged from none to library lock ups to the various problems that have already been discussed.

Before you let the DIM install your content, read the Wiki.  If you are mainly a Poser user, you may not want your content installed to the default location.

Signature 

“...not world enough nor time…” 

6 of 6