Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
EliteHumanSurfaceShader included with reby Sky bundle
Posted: 15 October 2012 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4202
Joined  2011-11-25

I bought the Reby sky for Victoria 4, bundle, and it came with an elite human surface shader. Unfortunately, there are no instructions on how to use this product. The file Includes a REadme, just lists the filenames installed, but not where it is located, or anything useful to figuring out how to use it.

This is the store link to the item: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/elite-human-surface-shader/

Can anyone tell me how to use this item?

Posted: 15 October 2012 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2302
Joined  2010-12-18

You should find it under Daz Content>Shaders or maybe Daz Content>Shader Presets

You need to have the surfaces tab open and have all your skin surfaces selected. Then apply the preset. I haven’t used it yet but my guess is that is how it works, just like ubersurface or human surface except it will have more settings you can tweak.

Of course I could be wrong since I’m not at my pc right now. Will see in about 15 mins though.

I think you have to hold control so it doesn’t override your current textures, but again I’m not at my work machine. If you just apply the shader the character may come out white.

yet another edit. under shaders or shader presets it may be listed under omnifreaker so you may want to look there too.

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 15 October 2012 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2214
Joined  2005-09-14

I found a tutorial on how to use the EHSS: How to use the Elite Human Surface Shaders in Daz Studio 2 and 3 by Kraig Hausmann November 07, 2011.  Daz Studio 4.x comes with the elite human surface shader..  The instructions for Daz Studio 4 are similar.  You will find the shader under the content library tab.  Go to: Daz Studio formats -> My Library -> Shader Presets -> Omnifreaker -> Human surface.  You’ll see the !HumanSurface shader .

For some odd reason, I have two HumanSurface shaders in my Omnifreaker folder in Daz Studio 3.  I double click the second one while holding down the control key while the proper surfaces are selected.

Posted: 15 October 2012 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18
starionwolf - 15 October 2012 09:22 AM

I found a tutorial on how to use the EHSS: How to use the Elite Human Surface Shaders in Daz Studio 2 and 3 by Kraig Hausmann November 07, 2011.  Daz Studio 4.x comes with the elite human surface shader..  The instructions for Daz Studio 4 are similar.  You will find the shader under the content library tab.  Go to: Daz Studio formats -> My Library -> Shader Presets -> Omnifreaker -> Human surface.  You’ll see the !HumanSurface shader .

For some odd reason, I have two HumanSurface shaders in my Omnifreaker folder in Daz Studio 3.  I double click the second one while holding down the control key while the proper surfaces are selected.

Oh so human surface is the same as Elite human surface shader. sadness

Signature 

Posted: 15 October 2012 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4202
Joined  2011-11-25
larsmidnatt - 15 October 2012 09:54 AM
starionwolf - 15 October 2012 09:22 AM

Oh so human surface is the same as Elite human surface shader. sadness

Thanks for this. I’m going to test this out when I get home!

Posted: 15 October 2012 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  533
Joined  0

I believe you are overthinking this whole thing.

When you look at the MAT files, you will see a small “S” symbol in the upper left corner. This means that the MAT is optimized for DS. Just click the MAT you want to apply and the shader will automatically load the Human Surface Shader presets.

You can verify this by looking in the surface tab and seeing that the shader for any of the surfaces has been changed to omHumanSurface from DAZ Studio Default.

Posted: 15 October 2012 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18
Gone - 15 October 2012 01:58 PM

When you look at the MAT files, you will see a small “S” symbol in the upper left corner. This means that the MAT is optimized for DS. Just click the MAT you want to apply and the shader will automatically load the Human Surface Shader presets.

You can verify this by looking in the surface tab and seeing that the shader for any of the surfaces has been changed to omHumanSurface from DAZ Studio Default.

Good point I wasn’t even thinking about the Reby Sky preset, just the core shader.

Signature 

Posted: 15 October 2012 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  533
Joined  0
larsmidnatt - 15 October 2012 02:01 PM

Good point I wasn’t even thinking about the Reby Sky preset, just the core shader.

Yeah, I thought that might be what you were thinking.

The neat thing about that method is that it lets you turn any shader into an ubersurface - provided you’re willing to do the necessary tweaking to take advantage of it.

Posted: 15 October 2012 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18
Gone - 15 October 2012 02:18 PM
larsmidnatt - 15 October 2012 02:01 PM

Yeah, I thought that might be what you were thinking.

The neat thing about that method is that it lets you turn any shader into an ubersurface - provided you’re willing to do the necessary tweaking to take advantage of it.

yep yep I do that sometimes when you have a sorta weak skin that could use a bit of help. Also helps when you do have a preset that looks good normally and it doesnt work out for you in a certain scene. Like if you use some excessive lighting in your scene its good to know how to turn down the specular level etc etc.

Signature 

Posted: 05 November 2012 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  238
Joined  2012-08-08

I got as far as ctrl/double click on HSS, and the texture does apply, but the eyes show white, and render like that. I reapplied the original eye texture, and still there was a white area along the upper edge of the lower eyelid, to the tear duct.

I couldn’t find any way to “select” those surfaces, to apply HSS to them as well, and don’t know why they weren’t automatically selected along with the rest of the figure.

Dead-in-the-water on HSS, so far.

Posted: 05 November 2012 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

Just a bit of info, HSS and EHSS are both outdated and have been replaced with the Uber Surface Shader which has more options and will read all the HSS and EHSS files and apply them. Old Texture sets still come with HSS or EHSS because in the past we did not get Uber Surface free with the DS software. I suggest using Uber Surface Shader only for this one reason. It has been updated with DS and now works better with the new version of the 3Delight render engine which was not even built at the time HSS or EHSS was released.

I hope this info is useful.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 05 November 2012 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-08-08

Confusing.

I was told, and find, that HSS comes standard with Studio 4 & 4.5. It’s not an included-with-content software, like EHSS is.

When I look at the shader menu in 4.5, it shows HSS as one of four options, built in.

So, I don’t understand how it is superceded by the, also on the list, Uber shader.

Posted: 05 November 2012 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18

Yep, definitely confusing.

Signature 

Posted: 05 November 2012 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

Omnifreaker is the one who said Uber Surface Shader was the more advanced and preferred version. It was discussed at length on the old forums. Human Surface and Simple Surface are part of the install for people who feel that they do all that is needed in their images. To get better results with Uber Surface you do need to learn how to tweak the settings that have been added. USS does read all the settings for the other shaders, talks to 3Delight better and provides more settings to get your surfaces to look even better.

I has just suggesting this, why bother with HSS (EHSS but not Elite any longer) when the newer USS does the same job and more. If I’m going to take the time to learn something I’m going to learn the newest and best if I have access to it. I did not mean to confuse anyone.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 05 November 2012 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14000
Joined  2003-10-09
nowefg - 05 November 2012 09:41 AM

I got as far as ctrl/double click on HSS, and the texture does apply, but the eyes show white, and render like that. I reapplied the original eye texture, and still there was a white area along the upper edge of the lower eyelid, to the tear duct.

The problem is that the eye surface and tear materials are set to be transparent but to catch specular highlights. When you apply HSS the opacity reverts to 100%. Ideally you would exclude those materials, since they are already doing their job and don’t need the SSS or other features that HSS brings. If you go to the Surfaces pane and expand the list of surfaces unbder the figure you can ctrl-click (cmd-click for a Mac0 to deselect the eye surface and tear areas.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 05 November 2012 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-08-08

The history is interesting, especially the part about none of that information being intuitable.

Along the lines of SereneNight’s originating question; the products are offered for sale now. We buy them. That they contain dated, or at least contigent functionality is a simple and understandable reality.

That said, it’s not unreasonable to expect a heads-up from the seller. I went through it with Elite Marie. A couple of months later, I’m starting to understand, but still can’t get a proper shader render. It misses the eyes.

Worked on it extensively this weekend, and lost fours hours of setup, careful lighting tweaks, and a lot of renders, because, in 114, the program will go through the motions to save the image, but if the destination folder doesn’t exist, it will send your image to limbo. Acts like it saves, but there’s no save.

That was a lot work to lose. I had renamed my last-used destination folder, and in the intensity of the process, forgot to change it in the image save window.

Just kept hitting that save button, and never got an error msg saying there was no such destination folder. Didn’t think to check till I was done, about 15 images… down some data-toilet; no idea where they went. The “why” is intuitable in that case.

That was confusing, too.

1 of 2