genesis
Posted: 20 October 2012 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

HI RCDeschene
welcome smile

I haven’t even gotten the software yet, but already I’m a bit put off by the supposed lack of smoothing tools and what-not mentioned here

That’s understandable,... we sometimes get lost discussing stuff that hasn’t happened yet, and the possibilities of what if…

it’s worth bearing in mind that Carrara 8.5 is still in Beta,.. and there’s still work to be done on it.

There’s a free 30 day demo version of Carrara 8 at the Carraracafe.com, or at (C-Net) Downloads.com
Carrara 8 works with poser and Daz3D figures,... but not with genesis.

Hexagon and Bryce are both still being fully supported (as far as I know). and are useful applications, but Carrara has three modellers and can generate terrains, plants, clouds, particles,etc….so, it already has many of the same abilities as hexagon and Bryce.
but carrara also works with daz /poser figures, and can animate and render.

you should try-out the demo of Carrara pro.

Hope it helps smile

Posted: 20 October 2012 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1549
Joined  2010-02-14
3DAGE - 20 October 2012 06:13 PM

HI RCDeschene
welcome smile

I haven’t even gotten the software yet, but already I’m a bit put off by the supposed lack of smoothing tools and what-not mentioned here

That’s understandable,... we sometimes get lost discussing stuff that hasn’t happened yet, and the possibilities of what if…

it’s worth bearing in mind that Carrara 8.5 is still in Beta,.. and there’s still work to be done on it.

There’s a free 30 day demo version of Carrara 8 at the Carraracafe.com, or at (C-Net) Downloads.com
Carrara 8 works with poser and Daz3D figures,... but not with genesis.

Hexagon and Bryce are both still being fully supported (as far as I know). and are useful applications, but Carrara has three modellers and can generate terrains, plants, clouds, particles,etc….so, it already has many of the same abilities as hexagon and Bryce.
but carrara also works with daz /poser figures, and can animate and render.

you should try-out the demo of Carrara pro.

Hope it helps smile

Oh no, I know that. What I meant was, Hexagon and Bryce are no longer receiving software development. DAZ’s focuses are just Studio and Cararra now.

Everything you mentioned is why I’m very much interested in trying it. I’m in dire need of good environments/settings and effects.

Signature 

“I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of how awesome I am!” ~ Brextor Ultimus

FORUM MEMBER POST RANKS
New Member = 0
Member = 25
Active Member = 250
Power Member = 1000
Addict = 2500

My Art Studio

Posted: 20 October 2012 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1373
Joined  2008-01-01

I go to validate the morph - “An error occurred executing switch” - then “An error occurred executing save” - then “An error occurred executing exit”.

that’s probably because you’re editing multiple morph areas at the same time,. (switching) morph targets or areas without Validating.

Not at all - that was the first morph area - still three more to go after that.smile

I agree with 3dage - there haven’t been any changes to the UI to make it more Studio-like - thank goodness!

No-one should be put off buying Carrara by the comments here - this is Beta testing to find ways of improving Carrara.  We could point out even more flaws in Studiio.  Carrara is a great application and is about a lot more than dressing up e-dolls:)

Heaven forbid Daz trying to incorporate Bryce and Hexagon into Carrara - that would be a real mess.

Certainly, improve Carrara by bringing in some of the functions, but not try to roll them all into one!

Posted: 21 October 2012 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

I’ll argue with you there Roygee there have been changes to make carrara’s interface function more like studio’s, The one I have pointed out is my main gripe though; moving the 0 pose 0 morph to a submenu in animation.  Burying often used tools in a sub menu is very studio like. I also think it was a mistake to put it in animation, I’m not animating I’m 0 the figure. First time I went to 0 a figure I couldn’t find it, I thought DAZ had taken it out. I wasn’t animating so I didn’t think to look for it in animation.

More over us discussing carrara issues with passion shouldn’t deter any one from buying it. It just proves Carrara has a devoted following of people, genuinely concerned about it future.

Now I don’t think carrara needs to have Bryce or Hex injected in to it. It does need better atmospherics, and the modeler and I don’t get along. But I have hex for modeling, and good old terragen for making HDRIs.

But personally I’d rather DAZ have spent this time polishing features and fixing bugs then shoehorning genesis in to carrara. I simply can’t afford another money pit figure.

Posted: 21 October 2012 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

HI smile

I’m with you,.. it’s just the way that it reads is as if Daz have decided to abandon or drop Hexagon and Bryce,..
when you say…

Hexagon and Bryce are no longer receiving software development. DAZ’s focuses are just Studio and Cararra now.

The reality is that both Hexagon and Bryce were in development cycles, (and open Beta testing) ..then the current development cycle for those products was completed. and the final products were released for sale.

The next development cycle will see both of those products back in the workshop being improved. 
they’re just not in active development right now.

smile

Posted: 21 October 2012 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07
3DAGE - 21 October 2012 07:26 AM

HI smile
The next development cycle will see both of those products back in the workshop being improved. 
they’re just not in active development right now.

smile

Oh you are such an optimist lol

2 of 2