Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Z1 Workstation. Yes or No?
Posted: 30 May 2012 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-04-16

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-ENVY/LY336AV?HP-ENVY-17t-3000-3D-Edition-Notebook-PC
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Desktops/HP-Omni-All-in-One/B2B85UT?HP-Z1-Workstation-ENERGY-STAR
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Desktops/HP-Omni-All-in-One/B2B86UT?HP-Z1-Workstation-ENERGY-STAR

Since I’m buying a computer just for Daz3D, Carrara, Poser and similar software I don’t want to get the wrong one. Can you guys advise me? Other brand and model suggestions are OK. Thank you.

Posted: 30 May 2012 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2004-07-01
Daz3DUser2012 - 30 May 2012 05:07 PM

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-ENVY/LY336AV?HP-ENVY-17t-3000-3D-Edition-Notebook-PC
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Desktops/HP-Omni-All-in-One/B2B85UT?HP-Z1-Workstation-ENERGY-STAR
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Desktops/HP-Omni-All-in-One/B2B86UT?HP-Z1-Workstation-ENERGY-STAR

Since I’m buying a computer just for Daz3D, Carrara, Poser and similar software I don’t want to get the wrong one. Can you guys advise me? Other brand and model suggestions are OK. Thank you.

you can get what you need for a lot less then what you are looking at -
laptops - about $600 - $900
desktop - about $700 - $1200

Posted: 30 May 2012 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2012-04-16

That’s great news but these are within my budget. So which of these would be best? I’ve never had an interest in computer hardware before so I don’t know much about it and I don’t want to get the wrong one. Please advise.

Posted: 30 May 2012 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4408
Joined  2004-08-11

Go with the 3rd one.  It’s got an NVIDIA graphics card in it.  DS LOVES NVIDIA rest of the specs look good!  Although looking at the RAM… 4 gigs is kinda low.  You really should find out if the RAM is upgradable to at least 8 gigs to really have the speed without hiccups that you need to run 3D and Windows at the same time.

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 30 May 2012 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2012-04-16

Thanks, Ramwolff.

Posted: 30 May 2012 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16419
Joined  2009-01-22

I just checked the link to that third system you are thinking of. I notice it is $2900 and in your budget. I also noticed it is a HP.

Just a heads up you might wish to consider. I bought my PC from HP themselfs, I custom built the system I wanted. My PC is

Win 7 Home Premuim 64 bit
Intel i7 quad core with multi threading 3.4 Mhrz
1 Tb HD with bay for second HD
CD/DVD/Blue Ray player Burner, yes it burns Blue Ray
8 gb ram expainable to 12
nVidia GeForce GTX 550 TI
With a 29” HD monitor

I only paid $1600 for the full kit. You could BUILD a much better system and pay less if you went straight to HP.
The only item I had to buy off site was a better power supply.

Just my two cents.

EDIT: It was in my home and up and running in just TWO days. That was with normal shipping no extra cost.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 30 May 2012 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1573
Joined  2005-02-25

Also you could watch lenovo’s website .... they have weekly amazing sales (sometimes up to 60% off so worth watching!) when I was going to buy my laptop a few years ago, I waited until the series I wanted was on a mega sale, and bought it then.  Saved myself bout $500 bucks.  smile

Actually, I may be able to buy a new laptop soon…. my husband *MIGHT* be getting a much better job…. and we may actually afford a new computer….GASP I know right??? Okay well its up in the air and dreaming…

but far as I know, laptops only go up to 8 GB memory.  Would like more but don’t think any laptops hve more than that.  What would Bigh consider good Daz friendly laptop? And I agree to get something with nVidia, it plays the nicest with Daz, others may have errors and weirdness :(  (my first laptop).

Do you guys think it would be worth a tablet laptop? I mean, if I understand it correctly, after you render you could open the pic in a graphics prog, and use the tablet pen to draw right on the screen (wel you know what i mean…. like a wacom, except directly over the picture).  Right?

And Jaderail not everyone can set up a computer.  i made a mistake the first time I got my desktop…. I got it in pieces from NewEgg, and even with all the manuals i couldn’t figure out how to put it together… in the end I had to call someone to come over and assemble it and had to pay for it.  Not worth the stress unless you’re able to do it yourself!!! 

Posted: 31 May 2012 12:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Beloved the Build part is just picking the parts you prefer, HP builds the system. My Frankenbox days are well behind me.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 31 May 2012 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1573
Joined  2005-02-25
Jaderail - 31 May 2012 12:15 AM

Beloved the Build part is just picking the parts you prefer, HP builds the system. My Frankenbox days are well behind me.

oooooohhhhh well that is doable then!!!  I have no hardware skillz at all…. @_@  couldn’t build a comp to save my life!!

my current machine is 4GB memory which was the max possible when I bought it (remember those days? lol) and i can say for sure that it runs Daz Studio 4 veeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy sloooooooooooooooooooooooooowly!

Posted: 31 May 2012 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2010-12-13

There are multiple sites that will build to order for a lot less than the HP’s. The Z1’s are attractive, but you will be paying more for that all-in-one form factor. I used this one last year for my daughter’s workhorse:

http://www.ibuypower.com/

Signature 

Daz Gallery
DA Gallery
Old post count 1725 (seems lame compared to some)

Posted: 31 May 2012 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2012-04-16

Building my own workstation without having to assemble it will be great. I’ve never done that before so it will be a milestone for me. According to NVIDIA I need a Quadro card because some programs (like Autodesk) won’t function without it. Is a touchscreen monitor useful in this line of work? Maybe a touchscreen all in one would be ideal for not getting carpel tunnel or general hand-pain when spending hours at a time on a project?

Posted: 31 May 2012 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

I’m not sure you would want an all-in-one for a render station, lots of CPU usage at render time. Cooling is very important when your chips are working overtime for hours at a time. I’ve done renders that took 24+ hours with all cores maxed.

Never looked at touch screens so I can’t say much on that subject. I’m disabled from Arthritis so when my hand gets bad on me I switch to a trackball mouse. Much easier on the hand.

Signature 

Posted: 01 June 2012 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2012-04-16

OK, I’ll buy a custom machine and a trackball mouse. Thanks to everyone.

Posted: 01 June 2012 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  190
Joined  2010-09-21

Hello, I just wanted to suggest a really cool method for relieving pain from using normal mice. It’s to add what are called mouse blisters. They work super great for me. Much more comfortable now than even a trackball. grin

For custom builds, you can check out Micro One Computers wink

Signature 

My DAZ Store
My Freebies

New Reality Tutorial - Ultra-realistic displacement in Reality

Posted: 01 June 2012 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2012-04-16

Thanks for the suggestions, Tako. It’ll be great to work as long as I want without getting hand and wrist pain.

Posted: 01 June 2012 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  190
Joined  2010-09-21

No problem. smile

Signature 

My DAZ Store
My Freebies

New Reality Tutorial - Ultra-realistic displacement in Reality

1 of 2