Digital Art Zone

3 of 9
Scott Livingston’s Render Thread
Posted: 23 December 2012 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3758
Joined  2012-02-06

I made this for the Michael Initiative thread. Challenged myself to use a female skin (Naoki), some female head morphs (Naoki and Feminine Touch), female clothes and accessories (Alruna, Centurion, Magus, Andromedas Legend, Pharaohs of the Sun for Genesis Female, and Genesis Bikini), female hair (Pure Hair Wild), and a female pose (V5 Fantasy Poses)...to create a really macho render.

Image Attachments
mikeinit1a.jpg
 Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 03 January 2013 11:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06

My December New User Contest entries. “Season’s Greetings” came in second in the contest. smile

A few notes:
* I’m rather proud of the Lucy (Australopithecus) character. The formula is mine; the major elements in it were the chimp head from Creature Creator, Mec4D’s Neanderthal, and some Feminine Touch. Her skin is Homo Erectus V4, as it’s probably the closest thing available. If I owned the Genesis Gorilla I would have worked that in somehow.
* Everyone is Genesis except for the dude in the plaid coat: he’s Michael 4 (the Homo Erectus M4 character).
* The two fairies are both Tamesis. The one on the left is the TamesisHuman shape and the other is the OWTamesis shape. The skin is the Tamesis Sylvan Elf skin for both, with different makeup options.
* The outfits are Mada’s Seasons for Genesis…and the snowflakes come from that set, too. It’s a flower prop, and I created over 100 instances of it and moved them to various locations to create a fanciful snow flurry.
* I rendered the background of “Season’s Greetings” in Bryce, but can’t claim to have created the scene. It’s this one: http://www.daz3d.com/winter-in-the-lake I’m just starting to learn Bryce, and plan to share some original Bryce landscapes here in the coming months…

Image Attachments
hominids1h-pw4.jpgseasons2d.jpg
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 15 January 2013 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06

My 3D New Year’s Resolutions (in order of importance)

1. Focus on creating and rendering my own fantasy characters
2. Learn lighting
3. Learn Bryce
4. Enter a few interesting contests, especially when my entry will allow me to further one of the three goals above.

This is probably one of the only renders you’ll see from me this year that doesn’t help me do any of the above. I was experimenting with mixing Young Teen Julie with Candace for S5, and she turned out so well that I decided to make a couple of friends for her, too. All three use Julie at half-strength.

Left: Julie and Candace for S5, Candace skin, Paul Hair, Kenzi Outfit
Center: Julie, V5, Keira, Benjiman, and Ethnicity; Chablis skin, Wild Dreads hair, Mall Girl
Right: Julie V5, Addison, and Ethnicity; Elite Marie skin; Pure Hair Bubblegum; Summer Dress

They’re supposed to be high school -aged girls, maybe 16-18.

The Wild Dreads hair is one of those products whose Poser mats don’t load perfectly in DS. I had to apply the bump and displacement maps manually, and set appropriate levels for them. I think it turned out rather well. Paul Hair took forever to render, but I think the results are stunning. This render uses a lighting preset from Zahir’s Palace (that’s the set, also), and it’s basic, non-Uber lights only. I rendered it using UE2 also, but I actually think I prefer this one. No postwork.

Image Attachments
haircomp2h.jpg
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 15 January 2013 02:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4966
Joined  2009-02-26

Ooops, I should have checked artzone first, I just commented in teens thread…

“Well done Scott, they look great! Love the different styles and personalities of them. Cool smile

I said that lol tongue laugh Well done man!

Signature 

- SpyroRue’s Deviant Art -

Posted: 20 January 2013 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06

Bryce! I can already tell I’m going to have a lot of fun with it (and it gives me something to do when DS is tied up in a lengthy render).

Image Attachments
terrain1d.jpg
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 03 February 2013 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06

One of the great things about Bryce is that you can post your render in the Bryce Forum and, within hours, get some feedback from one or more experts, including tips on how to improve, links to relevant tutorials, etc.

I followed this David Brinnen tutorial in creating the image below. If you’re interested in learning Bryce, the February New User Contest is focused on Bryce landscapes (and using that same tutorial I linked to), so I highly recommend checking it out! smile I’ll definitely be playing along.

Image Attachments
terrain2a.jpg
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 15 February 2013 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06

Well, as you might have noticed from my sig line, I’ve accepted a position as a Community Volunteer. I’m excited about this role, as I enjoy helping other users (and often learn a lot myself, in the process). I’ve always been impressed with the CV team here, and I’ll do my best to make a meaningful contribution to the DAZ 3D community.

(So much for “taking a step back” as I had said I was doing back in December…)

Here’s a render I worked on for the New User Contest in January. It’s a revision of one of my early renders (on the first page of this thread). I didn’t end up entering it in the contest, because around that time I got the CV invitation. It would have been my final New User Contest render anyway…not feeling quite so “new” anymore (though I recognize I still have tons to learn).

For this image, I experimented with UberVolume, UberArea lighting, and fantom occlusion. I also created the lighting from scratch, rather than using presets (with or without modifications) like I’ve always done.

Image Attachments
ultimatevictoria3h.jpg
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 22 February 2013 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2010-12-22

Scott, great renders. The lighting and composition of the latest one is great - probably my favorite of yours.

I also wanted to say that your hair tutorial is easily one of the best I have seen. I really like that it is current and focused on Genesis and DS 4.5, and that it includes product recommendations and examples. So many tutorials that are commonly referenced are fairly out of date or assume a great deal of seperate knowledge.

I would love to see some more tutorials from you. Thanks so much for your efforts.

Posted: 26 February 2013 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06

Thank you, MadisonXF! smile I’m actually working on an entry-level tutorial now…no guarantees about when it’ll be done, though.  I do plan on doing some more advanced tutorials also…just need to learn the subject matter first! LOL

Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 23 March 2013 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06

My Stonemason contest entry, “The Hunt.” Used Stonemason’s Return to the Enchanted Forest, Mec4D’s Huntsman (and the eyebrows of her Neanderthal), and a few creature morphs. Postworked in GIMP.

I had another one in progress, but I decided that rather than trying to wrap it up quickly before the contest deadline, I’d take the time to really do what I want with it…so that’s something to look forward to. wink

Haven’t done very much rendering recently…busy with Real Life and trying to learn Bryce, Windows 8, Sickle Rigging and Morphing System, Look At My Hair, and Luxus. So I kind of have my hands full. smile

Image Attachments
huntsman2k-pw5.jpg
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 19 April 2013 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06

Trying out the beautiful new Amalie texture by surreality. This is Genesis; the morph is a mix of Addison and Tamesis. Also used Return to the Enchanted Forest, Gregoria Hair, and Andromedas Legend for Genesis (pose, props, and outfit). Lighting is a modified version of one of the Lantios Lights 2 presets. Postwork in GIMP.

I now have some stuff up at DeviantArt: http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com/ including three images not seen here.

Image Attachments
amalie2b-pw2.jpg
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 19 April 2013 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

Note to self: Add Scott to my Artist are so good I hate them list.
Looks at list. Darn. He’s on it already.
Note to self: Figure out how to hate Artist more…

Great stuff my friend. More please. *clicks Post* Wait, was Dragon on before I hi….

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 19 April 2013 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7872
Joined  2012-09-10

Love the lighting on her face and you caught the desperation and sadness so perfectly.  And you’r e on Jaderail’s list, so what more can you ask for?  Absolutely stunning work smile
Cathie

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
The Art Studio: Thread #5   Product Discussions
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 24 April 2013 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06

Thank you Jaderail and Novica. I’m on the Jaderail Hate List? Wow…I’m speechless!

Here are a couple of newish ones…

The Madness of King Jack (with apologies to JT)
Features Parkside Point Interior, Royal Court Props, and Doyle for M5.

First one is a DS4.5/3Delight render with no postwork
Second one is a DS4.5/Luxus/Luxrender render with postwork in GIMP

Image Attachments
kingjack1d.jpgkingjack1lux1-pw1a.jpg
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 19 July 2013 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06

I think it’s about time I updated this thread…

Here’s an improved version of my Genesis toddler (see bottom of page 1 of this thread).

Also, “Man of Her Dreams” featuring Stephanie 4 and my own David 4 for Genesis character. (There was no David 4, let alone a Genesis version of him, so I dialed up my own, based on D3, M4, D5, and a few other things)

And “Like Nobody’s Watching,” an experiment in rendering the same scene in 3Delight and Luxrender, and blending the two together. The character is a blend of the V4 shape, V5, S5, and ethnicity morphs.

These were all created for my Custom Character Contest which has recently ended. You can find full formulas for all of these characters in that thread.

Image Attachments
intfem-natasha-pw.jpgtoddler4a.jpgd4pw.jpg
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

3 of 9