Digital Art Zone

7 of 12
Can we PLEASE get an updated Powerpose for Genesis (and 2) now? *PROBABLY SOLVED*
Posted: 18 December 2012 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  747
Joined  2012-07-21

Hi folks, i did another powerpose template. This one’s for Anime Girl Kristin, a figure created by Chris Schell. You can download her for free on his site http://www.schells.ca/. The powerpose template is on my ShareCG : http://www.sharecg.com/v/66374/gallery/9/Plug-in/PowerPose-Template-for-Anime-Girl-Kristin

And since i was at it, i decided to do a tutorial on powerpose templates as well. I’ll try to post fast enough, so that the parts don’t get scattered throughout the thread.

Edit : some of the xml-tags got messed up cuz they matched forum formatting. Look in the files for correct syntax, don’t copy-paste from my forum post…

Signature 

my freebies at ShareCG
me at DeviantArt

Posted: 18 December 2012 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-07-21

First, let’s take a look at the PowerPose directory and the files in it.
In the Daz Studio installation directory is a folder called plugins, and in that folder you’ll find the PowerPose directory. Now, what do we have in here, and what are we going to do with it ?

The PowerPose-plugin itself : dzpowerpose.dll
Obviously the most important file, but we’re not gonna mess around with that one.

The dynamics files : bipedDynamics.dsx and dragonDynamics.dsx
Not sure how these work, if you do, please share the knowledge wink I guess they describe the dynamics of the bones, as in stifness/sensitivity of the motion ? I do assign them to each new template, but i don’t mess around in them either.

The templates file : templates.dsx
This file tells PowerPose wich templates are available, and what figures to use them on. We’ll add our homebrew templates to this file.

And the actual templates : eg. genBody.dsx, genBody.png, genHead.dsx, genHead.png, ...
They’re what you actually see in Studio when using PowerPose, the images with the dots that select and control the bones. We’ll create these from scratch.

All the *.dsx files are XML-files, wich basically means they hold structured and organized data in a plain text file. You can create/edit them in any plain text editor, but i prefer to use an xml-editor. You can find these for free on the internet. I use foxe (First Object XML Editor), it’s free and it’s easy to use.

Image Attachments
plugin_folder.png
 Signature 

my freebies at ShareCG
me at DeviantArt

Posted: 18 December 2012 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2945
Joined  2011-12-10

You should change your name to PowerPoseFeather smile

looking forward to doing your tutorial!

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 18 December 2012 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-07-21

PowerPose automatically selects different templates when you select different figures in Daz Studio. That happens because of the templates.dsx file.

The basic structure of the templates file :
* template_suite
* title
* default_set
* default_label
* tplset
* tplset
* tplset
* tplset
* tplset

PowerPose will look in the tplsets for the name of the selected geometry (the obj file), then loads the right tplset. If it doesn’t find the geometry name, it will load the tplset defined in default_set (e.g. Generic). Each template set (tplset) can have multiple tabs. The value in default_label decides wich tab to show when a tplset is loaded (e.g. Body).

The structure of a tplset :
* tplset
* name
* dynamics_file
* geometry
* template
  * label
  * file
* template
  * label
  * file
* template
  * label
  * file

The different templates in here will be the tabs of your powerpose-template, with label being the name of the tab, and file a *.dsx file containing all info for that tab (background image, position of the dots and how they affect wich bones).
We’ll add our tplset at the end of the templates.dsx file, just above the line </template_suite>.
For our anime girl Kristin the tplset is build up like this :

<tplset>
      <name>agKristin</name>
<dynamics_file>bipedDynamics.dsx</dynamics_file>
      <geometry>
        <name>kristin</name>
      </geometry>
      <template>
        <label>Body</label>
        <file>agkBody.dsx</file>
      </template>
      <template>
        <label>Hands</label>
        <file>agkHands.dsx</file>
      </template>
      <template>
        <label>Head</label>
        <file>agkHead.dsx</file>
</template>
</tplset>

Edit : When you reinstall/update DS, the templates.dsx will be overwritten with the original file. Make sure you have a backup of the modified file, or you’ll have to edit the templates file manually again.

Image Attachments
templates_dsx.png
 Signature 

my freebies at ShareCG
me at DeviantArt

Posted: 18 December 2012 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-07-21

And now the fun part : making pictures for the template grin
The old powerpose templates were 200x300, but i decided to make my templates 300x450 considering modern screen resolutions. So, fire up Daz Studio and make some nice renders for the template. Usually you’ll make three : body, hands and head. I don’t use a background, and save as png with transparancy, then the templates will integrate nicely in the user interface.

Ok, so let’s open up one of our dsx files (e.g. agkBody.dsx) and look at the structure :

* template_file
* version
* bg_file
* bone_data
  * xpos
  * ypos
  * bone_name
  * jump_tab
  * prim_map
  * prim_map_dir
  * scnd_map
  * scnd_map_dir
  * tert_map
  * tert_map_dir
* bone_data
* bone_data

The entry bg_file refers to the image to be displayed for that tab, and there’s a whole bunch of bone_data entries : as the name implies there is one for each bone that you want to control, but they’re also used for jumping to other tabs (body, head, hands).
Each bone_data will be represented by a dot on the powerpose-template, with xpos and ypos being the position of the dot on the background image.

Here’s how you use them to switch tabs :

<bone_data>
<xpos>58</xpos>     
<ypos>75</ypos>
<bone_name>Head Template</bone_name>
<jump_tab>Head</jump_tab>
      < prim_map>
      < prim_map_dir>
      <scnd_map>
      <scnd_map_dir>
      <tert_map>
      <tert_map_dir>
</bone_data>

The ‘map’ and ‘map_dir’ are not needed here, the tags are empty. Maybe < prim_map>—None—</prim_map> would be a
better tag in this case, or maybe you can leave them completely out, don’t be afraid to experiment. The worst i’ve had happen was DS crashed when i clicked a dot.
The text in bone_name will be displayed as tooltip-text when the mouse hovers the control-dot.
The jump_tab says wich tab we want to go to. Remember, we defined this earlier in the templates.dsx file.

Image Attachments
agkBody.pngagkHands.pngagkHead.png
 Signature 

my freebies at ShareCG
me at DeviantArt

Posted: 18 December 2012 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-07-21

For controlling bones, we need the three maps and directions :

<bone_data>
      <xpos>150</xpos>
      <ypos>38</ypos>
      <bone_name>Head</bone_name>
      <jump_tab>—None—</jump_tab>
      < prim_map>yrot</prim_map>
      < prim_map_dir>pos</prim_map_dir>
      <scnd_map>xrot</scnd_map>
      <scnd_map_dir>pos</scnd_map_dir>
      <tert_map>zrot</tert_map>
      <tert_map_dir>neg</tert_map_dir>
</bone_data>

As said before, xpos and ypos are the position of the control-dot.
In the tag bone_name we write, well, the name of the bone we want to control, you can see the correct name in the scene tab. In prim_map, scnd_map and tert_map we write the parameter of the bone we want to change. This will most likely be yrot, xrot and zrot for the three rotations.
Feel free to experiment, find other cool stuff to do with this and let me know what you found wink
The parameter in < prim_map> will be affected by left-clicking the dot, and moving the mouse left-right.
The parameter in <scnd_map> will be affected by left- or right-clicking the dot, and moving the mouse up-down.
The parameter in <tert_map> will be affected by right-clicking the dot, and moving the mouse left-right.
By setting the corresponding map_dir to ‘pos’ or ‘neg’ you can change the direction of the rotation.
When setting these parameters, i try to make it ‘feel right’. It won’t feel right if you move the head sideways by moving the mouse up and down, or vice versa.

Image Attachments
AGKristinPowerPose.png
 Signature 

my freebies at ShareCG
me at DeviantArt

Posted: 18 December 2012 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

On with the tut…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 18 December 2012 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-07-21

Congratz if you’ve made it this far, i can imagine it got a little boring at certain points, but now you can make your own PowerPose templates too ! Well, almost. There are a few things that can go wrong, some bumps in the road ahead. Here are some errors to look out for.

If there is a bone wich name is the name of another bone with something added to it, you must define that bone in the dsx-file before the other bone. For example, genesis has a bone named ‘Abdomen 2’ and a bone named ‘Abdomen’, you must assign ‘Abdomen 2’to a control-dot before you assign ‘Abdomen’ to a dot. If ‘Abdomen’ comes first in the *.dsx file, it will be assigned to the ‘Abdomen 2’ bone.

Two dots on different tabs of the same template should not have the same x and y position, powerpose will get confused. It’s best that they don’t even overlap eachother.

And sometimes it just goes wrong, no logic involved, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. With that said, i’ll conclude my tutorial. Have fun, experiment, share your results, and if you have any questions, just ask.

Happy PowerPosing :-D

Signature 

my freebies at ShareCG
me at DeviantArt

Posted: 18 December 2012 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2302
Joined  2010-12-18
BlackFeather1973 - 18 December 2012 02:06 PM

Congratz if you’ve made it this far,

Happy PowerPosing :-D

Thanks for sharing the steps. You happened to get it up with limited commercial breaks. Congratz.

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 18 December 2012 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-07-21

And now go back in and edit all the weird formatting issues…  LOL

Signature 

my freebies at ShareCG
me at DeviantArt

Posted: 18 December 2012 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13
BlackFeather1973 - 18 December 2012 02:13 PM

And now go back in and edit all the weird formatting issues…  LOL

Dang….and I posted my ‘why can’t we…’ right in the middle of all this.  Sorry about that…

And here’s the ‘interruption’...moved to the end.

I’ve been installing/uninstalling DS a bit lately (namely trying the last couple of beta releases…), and one thing I’ve noticed and this should probably be high-lighted somewhere…

When you install a new version of DS/reinstall you need to re-do the ‘fix’.  The Templates.dsx file WILL be over-written with the ‘default’ version and you will be left without the Genesis specific additions, again.

Alternately, you can make a backup copy of the altered file and then just overwrite the default, once you’ve installed/updated DS.

The unistaller/installer will leave the additional files alone, it just removes/overwrites the Templates file with default version.

Now, on to a couple of other things…

There used to be several other add-ons/figures for PP.  Most of them are no longer available (Scare Bear is one that still is).

I was wondering if we could start a community effort to make some more figures available (I kind of remember one for the MilHorse…but maybe I was dreaming).

Something else…

I’ve always thought that part of the DAZ philosophy was to provide basic (or slightly more) functionality with an extensible interface, a robust SDK and let the community develop/spread add-ons/plugins/new functions. 

When did we, as a community, decide that everything should now be DAZ?  (yeah, lack of plugin updates for the DS4/4.5 cycle has some influence on this…)

Yeah, we do have a few third-party items around and lots of good scripts by mcj, but what about other things?  Like this?  Why can’t we take this and expand it?  Make it a really useful tool…instead of something that is ‘just there’, collecting dust?  I know that one of the reasons I seldom used it, is because the lack of figures…there’s a bazillion ready made poses for the base figures but really how many sets are there for the dog?  cow?  other figures?

Even a couple more ‘generic’ items would help.

I guess this part isn’t really needed, now, thanks to BlackFeather…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 18 December 2012 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13

Oh and here’s a list of what used to be available from Dreamful…

http://www.dreamful.it/3d_forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=16

Here’s the one for the Scare Bear 2.0

http://netherworks-studios.com/shoppe/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=86

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 18 December 2012 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 103 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-07-21

I hope i got all the mistakes out, can’t tell for sure. I prepared the whole thing in one sitting and now i’m too exhausted to re-read it properly.

mjc1016 - 18 December 2012 02:46 PM

Oh and here’s a list of what used to be available from Dreamful…

http://www.dreamful.it/3d_forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=16

Here’s the one for the Scare Bear 2.0

http://netherworks-studios.com/shoppe/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=86

Too bad they’re all gone. I set my templates on ‘unrestricted use’ at ShareCG, that way they’ll always be available as long as anyone has them.
Downloading the scare bear template now, even though i don’t have the bear.

Signature 

my freebies at ShareCG
me at DeviantArt

Posted: 31 January 2013 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 104 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2945
Joined  2011-12-10

nebbermind… forgot the edits I need to do, mystoopid raspberry

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 01 February 2013 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 105 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  239
Joined  2012-05-25
BlackFeather1973 - 18 December 2012 02:02 PM

First, let’s take a look at the PowerPose directory and the files in it.
In the Daz Studio installation directory is a folder called plugins, and in that folder you’ll find the PowerPose directory. Now, what do we have in here, and what are we going to do with it ?

The PowerPose-plugin itself : dzpowerpose.dll

can you create this tutorial in a pdf file please?
really don’t like reading tutorials spread in trheads on a forum.

thx

Signature 

Very Happy that i save $$$ for products that have no manual and invest this in the great lux modo :p

7 of 12