Digital Art Zone

1 of 8
Questions/ Observations about the new Site
Posted: 23 May 2012 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2006-05-26

So glad the forums are up and running. A few questions.

Questions:

1. How will the new Galleries work and when does Daz expect to have the Galleries online?

2. When I purchase a new item I can see both Mac and PC version for download. In the past I was able to filter them for PC only. Is this no longer possible?

3. Where does one find the read only topics from the old site?

4. I notice there is a character counter for posts. The more letters I type the lower the number gets so I assume that when it hits 0 then the post must end? Cool.

Observations:

1. During the past week the site navigation seemed slow, but it seems to be up to speed now. Yaya.

2. I tried to upload an Avatar a few moments ago but to no avail. This feature is still not activated?

3. So far I like the new site and the new store. The checkout process is much neater. Overall I like this new site.

Well Done Daz, keep it up!!!

Signature 

Please view my Daz3d User Gallery
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/465/

Posted: 23 May 2012 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8422
Joined  2007-11-06

I think they are showing both Mac and PC downloads because when they switch to Zip files it will be the same file for both platforms.  I haven’t heard anything official about that, just my suspicion.

The old site is at forumarchive.daz3d.com

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 23 May 2012 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-26

Ah. Thanks so much Mike!

Signature 

Posted: 23 May 2012 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-26

Also forgot to add, I did not receive an email yet that you responded to this thread. Perhaps notifications are not yet active?

Signature 

Posted: 23 May 2012 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15260
Joined  2003-10-09

Some notifications are a bit iffy, and we can’t yet work out why. THere doesn’t seem to be a common denominator.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 23 May 2012 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  506
Joined  2004-06-12

What are we supposed to do to get back to the Bryce Forum Index whenever we’re in a thread?
It’s bloody awful if we’re expected to click on those tiny “breadcrumbs” at the top of the page.

We need a Back to Forum Index button for each thread to take us to the index of that forum, and on the Index page of each forum we need a Back to Main Index button to take us to the main Forum index.

Looks nice and clean, but the absence of those buttons is pretty bad to say the least.

Other than that, my only other complaint so far is that the smileys are crap (the old ones were more legible even though they were smaller), and on a website designed for “feedback” there are still no thumbs-up and thumbs-down smileys.

I really hope these features will be fixed over the transition period (especially the lack of navigation buttons).

Posted: 23 May 2012 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15260
Joined  2003-10-09

Well I find that if I go to the “Community ” at the top of the page and hover my mouse over it, I see the word “Forums”. If I click that word it takes me to an index. However if I hover my mouse poiter over forum, it show me some of the forums, including the Bryce forum, which is, after all, the only one that mattters

cool smirk

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 23 May 2012 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

It’s the forum that matters most on here to me, too, but I think you might be misunderstanding a bit.

For example, right now you’re reading this, and that means you’re inside a thread that is inside the Bryce forum.  The problem is when you’ve finished reading a post in a thread and want to go back to the Bryce Forum index.  At the the moment it sort of feels as if you’re locked into a thread unless you happen to spot the tiny breadcrumb link right at the top.

That’s majorly bad.

After you’ve read a post you need to return to the main Bryce index to choose another thread to read, but it feels odd the way it is (it feels very disjointed having a tiny link right at the very top).  There really needs to be an obvious button shown on the top and bottom of each thread that would take you back to the Bryce forum index.

PS: Line feeds aren’t working properly in the posts, at least using Chrome, not sure about other browsers.

Posted: 23 May 2012 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

PS: Funny enough, Renderosity made the same mistake when they first made their new website live.
I complained there as well, and thankfully they agreed and fixed it.  I really hope DAZ will too because it’s far too irritating the way it is.

Posted: 23 May 2012 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2007-09-11

Just in time, I was starting to wonder if it was ‘coming soon…’

Are there to be no “official updates, news, and other announcements” in the Bryce forum ?

Posted: 23 May 2012 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2003-10-09

Hi all;
Interesting, going to take a little getting used to (or I’m just getting old!).

Also going to try to attach a small image here which I presume is done with the Attachments button, but is the Max size the only restriction or is there still dimension restrictions?

TIA;
Dan

Image Attachments
exile_pre.jpg

Posted: 23 May 2012 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8422
Joined  2007-11-06
dan whiteside - 23 May 2012 06:31 PM

Hi all;
Interesting, going to take a little getting used to (or I’m just getting old!).

Also going to try to attach a small image here which I presume is done with the Attachments button, but is the Max size the only restriction or is there still dimension restrictions?

TIA;
Dan

Maximum dimensions 800x800 for now, as we don’t have automatic resizing yet.  I believe the filesize limit is 999KB.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 23 May 2012 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  0

I am hoping there will be auto resizing. I found the old setup a bit outdated. Are you guys on a new server? Or is attachment space still a premium? (I mean lack of, not the cost) I am looking forward to see more post from the DAZ crew. In the past it was a bit sparse.

Posted: 23 May 2012 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  0

Oh BTW for the avatar, I received an error. Could not assign. The image was 90x90 and about 7K

Posted: 24 May 2012 12:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3370
Joined  2004-10-01

As I’ve gathered, resizing doesn’t work yet - neither do avatars.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 24 May 2012 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

A couple more bugs:

1 - Clicking on Dan’s image doesn’t do anything.
2 - DAZ’s HTTPS has a warning through it on login.

Chrome Browser.

1 of 8