Digital Art Zone

4 of 10
Carrara 9…DAZ, I’m begging you.
Posted: 23 October 2012 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0

I held out on C8 for about 8 or 9 months, until 8.1 came out… But there was several bugs that prevented animating… The Beta has fixed most of those issues (and yes, created new issues along the way). C7.2 is very stable, but C8.5 is faster and 64bit so even with some awkward flaws C8.5 is “better” than C7.2. I have so many art deadlines right now I am already feeling anxiety because the beta will expire again Nov 1…

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 23 October 2012 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  0
Muphasa - 13 October 2012 04:17 PM

I am glad someone posted about this. I am frustrated with Carrara and it’s slow development cycle and bugs. I think the bugs are my most pet peeves atm because I am always finding them. I have given up on the bug tracker and such. I just dont see Daz that interested in making Carrara the best it could be. Introduce a new feature and break something else and the time it takes to fix that feature takes forever or not at all.

So I downloaded some demos of of 3d packages and Cinema 4d has impressed me a lot for its easy of use. It reminds me of Carrara in many ways. Yes it is $3600.00 but I can get it for edu discount if I want. That is $280 I have saved up to make this purchased. Money that would go to Daz if they would just kill the bug, but I have lost all faith that Daz will do more with Carrara than the bare minimum after release.

For me thought I probably will not wait for 8.5 to make up my mind, I really like C4D and it is a lot like Carrara in many respects and it is rock solid. When I get on to my computer to make whatever I have decided to learn that day I dont want to sit and fight the software. I just want it to work without the hassle. The biggest drawback is content. It would be nice to be able to use all the content I have inside C4D. I have heard of Interposer, I will see how that goes.

Oh that is good news, the maker of Interposer seems to be making a plugin for Genesis. Way cool.

These two programs are not in the same league. Also, bugs don’t get fixed as fast when your product sells for a1/10th of the price of your product comparison.

Posted: 23 October 2012 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  934
Joined  2006-06-12
holly wetcircuit - 23 October 2012 09:03 AM

I held out on C8 for about 8 or 9 months, until 8.1 came out… But there was several bugs that prevented animating… The Beta has fixed most of those issues (and yes, created new issues along the way). C7.2 is very stable, but C8.5 is faster and 64bit so even with some awkward flaws C8.5 is “better” than C7.2. I have so many art deadlines right now I am already feeling anxiety because the beta will expire again Nov 1…

Holly

Do you use the aniBlock importer?
How about Mimic for Carrara?

I’m just asking. I use them and before I do any updating, those two items are extremely important to my workflow.
I’m only 32 bit for now.
Just curious.

I have a load of deadlines too, so no switchover for awhile.

Good luck with YOUR deadlines!

Signature 

There is a serious tendency toward capitalism among the well-to-do peasants.
Mao Tse-Tung

Posted: 06 May 2013 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2012-01-13
ingvarai - 18 October 2012 06:10 AM

[
Cinema 4D on the other hand, was like entering a totally new world. The user interface is outstanding, it can’t get better than that. You can do a lot in C4D, if you want flying logos, exploding text, animated spheres, cubes etc etc - it has it all. Adjusting movement paths is a joy, compared to the Carrara hassles and “specialties”. Most important - it is easy to jump back and forth between keypoints, even in complex animations. In Carrara, this becomes a nightmare if you have animation clips involved.

But - there is a BIG SHORTCOMING in Cinema 4D. Animated characters. If you want to do that, you probably need another software, like Carrara :D. Interposer might help you, I have tested it, and don’t like it.  Cinema 4D + Interposer?? Well, Carrara is better. In general, for hobbyists and makers of non-profit multimedia like me, Carrara would be the perfect choice. What made me cough up all that money for Cinema 4D was my frustration regarding the super-awkward user interface in Carrara. I could spend hours tweaking and adjusting even the smallest parts of an animation, because “strange” things happened, and I had to go through a 17-step tedious process of clicking, clicking and clicking again, just to get hold of the same property I had tweaked 30 seconds ago. In Cinema 4D, I can open all kinds of property windows (panels) and tuck them away on another screen, and have them there, at hand, whenever I need them. And my customized workplace can of course be stored.

So what do I have now? I have Carrara for character animations and shudder every time I must use it because of the user interface. And I have Cinema 4D which is a joy to use, for everything 3D except character animation. And I have modo 601 collecting dust in the corner..
Maya is perhaps what I need - but I’ll have to wait to win in LOTTO..
There is yet another option - Carrara with an overhauled user interface.. I also have daz Studio, but the user interface is horrible to say the least, only behind the worst possible user interfaces there is - Reallusion iClone and CrazyTalk.

-Ingvar

Hi Ingvar,

I just started a new Cinema 4d post,

thanks!

Posted: 08 May 2013 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  631
Joined  2010-09-22

for the love of GAWD! USE HEXAGONS modeler in place of Carraras Vertex Modeler!

Posted: 08 May 2013 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07
RichardChaos - 08 May 2013 03:30 AM

Agree. I may have had to force myself to use Hex after I got it; it’s interface and tool names were quite different then what I was used to. But for me and the way I learned to model; simple box modeler lol, Hex works far better then carrara’s modeling room. I could get over the interface and tools, but not the one mesh at a time thing.

I’m not saying there is anything wrong with the carrara modeling room, it just does not work the way I do and I find that quite frustrating. Anyway, why limit myself to tea when I have coffee wink

Posted: 08 May 2013 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5951
Joined  2007-12-04
ManStan - 08 May 2013 06:30 AM

Agree. I may have had to force myself to use Hex after I got it; it’s interface and tool names were quite different then what I was used to. But for me and the way I learned to model; simple box modeler lol, Hex works far better then carrara’s modeling room. I could get over the interface and tools, but not the one mesh at a time thing.

I’m not saying there is anything wrong with the carrara modeling room, it just does not work the way I do and I find that quite frustrating. Anyway, why limit myself to tea when I have coffee wink

Anyway, why limit myself to tea when I have coffee wink

Love that part!
Say, just curious - since I have barely touched Hex, as most of the things I do work great right inside Carrara, where I live anyways. But I am interested in working in Hex, so I went into the Hex forums and they were talking about saving, then deleting poly’s, then build some more, delete some more… in order to build a whole model - so Hex doesn’t crash. Then pray when you bring all of the polys together. Is Hex really that sensitive? What’s with that? I’m hoping that it was just a special case, or something. Neither of you two really do low-res models, do you? If it handles what you do… it must not be too unstable, right?

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 08 May 2013 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5951
Joined  2007-12-04

I still don’t get the whole “Update our render engine” thing. Please don’t change the thing. Update? Fine. But please don’t go and replace it. Good render engines are hard to find. Great ones even harder. Carrara’s is stupendously kick asmosis? Yeah… Kick asmosis!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 08 May 2013 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  745
Joined  2003-10-09
Dartanbeck - 08 May 2013 10:51 AM

I still don’t get the whole “Update our render engine” thing. Please don’t change the thing. Update? Fine. But please don’t go and replace it. Good render engines are hard to find. Great ones even harder. Carrara’s is stupendously kick asmosis? Yeah… Kick asmosis!

I agree.  It ain’t broke IMHO.  So don’t fix it.

Posted: 16 May 2013 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2005-08-26

Completely agree with the original poster here. DAZ is cheap when it comes to quality releases of Carrara, or so it would seem. The part that is not cheap: the price itself….

Signature 

My Renders: My DeviantArt Gallery
Revenger is always looking to meet 3d artists of all levels. FB me if you want to share, or just hangout in the background: http://www.facebook.com/revenger681

Posted: 16 May 2013 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2005-08-26

I hate hex… I’ve never been able to get the hang of it…. I still find myself going back to C6 pro and using it’s modeling room, lol.. Am I the only one who feels that way?

Signature 

My Renders: My DeviantArt Gallery
Revenger is always looking to meet 3d artists of all levels. FB me if you want to share, or just hangout in the background: http://www.facebook.com/revenger681

Posted: 16 May 2013 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4917
Joined  2006-08-27
revenger681 - 16 May 2013 12:49 PM

I hate hex… I’ve never been able to get the hang of it…. I still find myself going back to C6 pro and using it’s modeling room, lol.. Am I the only one who feels that way?

No. 3dage and others use it quite a bit.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 16 May 2013 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1818
Joined  2004-08-24

I prefer the Carrara modeller to Hex,.

I really dislike the “validate”, validate, validate, every time you do something, ...it’s counter intuitive,

I did this in Carrara’s modeller, about a week ago.

Image Attachments
bug_ship_1.jpgbug_ship_2.jpg

Posted: 16 May 2013 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2008-02-01
Dartanbeck - 08 May 2013 10:48 AM

Love that part!
Say, just curious - since I have barely touched Hex, as most of the things I do work great right inside Carrara, where I live anyways. But I am interested in working in Hex, so I went into the Hex forums and they were talking about saving, then deleting poly’s, then build some more, delete some more… in order to build a whole model - so Hex doesn’t crash. Then pray when you bring all of the polys together. Is Hex really that sensitive? What’s with that? I’m hoping that it was just a special case, or something. Neither of you two really do low-res models, do you? If it handles what you do… it must not be too unstable, right?

I think if you started with Carrara’s modeling room, stick with it. You know it and your comfortable in it. To deleting polys, I’ll do it if I want to bridge something but mostly I start off using fast extrude. As for stability, I had no trouble with Hex until the most recent version. A problem with symmetry where it would crash while I was doing something, translation, extrude. The problem was with models done in previous versions of hex and then later with the new version. Fortunately, I bought Hex 2 on CD so I was able to ramp back to 2.1 where I don’t have any problems with it. A lot of people can’t get version 2 these days

Some use 1.21 which, as I understand is even more stable. but those versions don’t work well on the newer Macs. A pity.

I have a combination of software I’m trying to learn and all of them compliment each other. I look forward to the next version of Carrara and I do want to be able to model just as well in it as do in Hex.

Signature 

DaRkWyNdE/Tigrestripe
—————————————————————————————————————————————
There is no reality. Everything is just a render of your imaginiation.

Posted: 16 May 2013 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2008-02-01
3DAGE - 16 May 2013 03:13 PM

I prefer the Carrara modeller to Hex,.

I really dislike the “validate”, validate, validate, every time you do something, ...it’s counter intuitive,

I did this in Carrara’s modeller, about a week ago.

That is excellent! I’d pay real money for a full tutorial of how you modeled it in C and UV’ed. Eitherway, it’s
a beaut!

Signature 

DaRkWyNdE/Tigrestripe
—————————————————————————————————————————————
There is no reality. Everything is just a render of your imaginiation.

4 of 10