Digital Art Zone

DSON Loader for Poser (without companion files)
Posted: 12 October 2012 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2004-02-15

The Poser companion files for the DSON Importer for Poser are mainly needed to access DUF files from the Poser library. But the DSON importer may load other DSON files as well. So I made a small Poser Python script that allows to import DSON files into Poser by selecting them directly from the file system.

The script can be downloaded for free here: DSON Loader. (Please read the included ReadMe or Poser might crash because of an oddity in the DSON importer.)

In particular, this script can be used to apply DUF shaping presets generated by my DS plugin “Genesis Generation X” to Genesis when it has been imported to Poser.

It would be possible to write a library browser that accesses the DS library directly from Poser without requiring Poser companion files at all. If there’s interest in this, I might do it.

Posted: 12 October 2012 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2798
Joined  2006-07-31

Lovely, thank you, Dimention3D smile

Signature 

Original Genesis shape and Genesis morphs transfer to G2F/G2M, G2F/G2M clones for Genesis
a way to transfer morphs to Genesis without Gen-X

Posted: 12 October 2012 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  219
Joined  2005-10-18
Dimension3D - 12 October 2012 06:51 AM

The Poser companion files for the DSON Importer for Poser are mainly needed to access DUF files from the Poser library. But the DSON importer may load other DSON files as well. So I made a small Poser Python script that allows to import DSON files into Poser by selecting them directly from the file system.

The script can be downloaded for free here: DSON Loader. (Please read the included ReadMe or Poser might crash because of an oddity in the DSON importer.)

In particular, this script can be used to apply DUF shaping presets generated by my DS plugin “Genesis Generation X” to Genesis when it has been imported to Poser.

It would be possible to write a library browser that accesses the DS library directly from Poser without requiring Poser companion files at all. If there’s interest in this, I might do it.

If I understand what you are saying correctly I would be VERY interested in a script that would enable me to access my genesis runtime from poser without the having to go through the current situation of having to potentially reinstall all my genesis content into my poser runtime Library.

S.K.

Posted: 12 October 2012 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-02-15

The problem is that most DS / Genesis content is in DS 4.0 format (DSF), which is not supported by DSON Importer. So you will have to reinstall most Genesis content anyway if you want to have it for Poser. Also, you can use a new external Poser runtime folder if you want to have the DS content in a separate folder.

My point is that the companion files are rather useless, because all they are doing is mapping the DS library structure into a Poser library structure.

Posted: 12 October 2012 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2006-04-16

Hey Dimension3D, any plans on making GenX compatible with Poser? smile

Signature 

Genesis is head & shoulders above “Genesis 2” (or better known as BF2/BM2) and is the FAR superior figure. Why? It doesn’t suffer from the UN-necessary gender split

My DeviantArt Page.

ULTIMATE SUPER-HERO FREEBIES!

The Supersuit product comes with a Basic Supersuit. DAZ has finally fixed it’s UV’s. Re-Download now to receive the update. Thanks DAZ! smile

Posted: 12 October 2012 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-02-15

GenX is already compatible with Poser. The morphs transferred by GenX are loaded automatically with Genesis when using the DSON importer. And the DSON Loader script allows to load shaping presets in DSON format that were generated by GenX for morph dial settings. Of course, you need DS to run GenX, because it is a plugin. But I don’t think I will revert it to a stand-alone application again like Gen4 was.

BTW, I uploaded a new version of the DSON Loader script. It now also works for files with the extension DSF, provided that the DSON importer can handle them correctly. (Because of differences in DS 4.0 and DS 4.5 file format, some DSF files may not work or work only partly.)

Posted: 15 October 2012 02:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6560
Joined  2006-02-20
Dimension3D - 12 October 2012 06:51 AM

Yes! Please?
Simply because of harddrive clutter ...

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki: https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org

Posted: 26 October 2012 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-02-15

I updated my Poser library solutions XL and PX to work with DSON files as well. You still need DSON Importer (of course), but you don’t need the Poser companion files. You can browse for DUF and DSF files just like for Poser content.

Posted: 26 October 2012 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  613
Joined  2004-12-14
Dimension3D - 12 October 2012 01:15 PM

GenX is already compatible with Poser. The morphs transferred by GenX are loaded automatically with Genesis when using the DSON importer. And the DSON Loader script allows to load shaping presets in DSON format that were generated by GenX for morph dial settings. Of course, you need DS to run GenX, because it is a plugin. But I don’t think I will revert it to a stand-alone application again like Gen4 was.

BTW, I uploaded a new version of the DSON Loader script. It now also works for files with the extension DSF, provided that the DSON importer can handle them correctly. (Because of differences in DS 4.0 and DS 4.5 file format, some DSF files may not work or work only partly.)

I am sorry to here that GenX won’t ever be a Poser Plugin - that was the only reason I was interested in the DSON importer.

Signature 

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” - Aldous Huxley

Posted: 28 October 2012 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-02-15
ssgbryan - 26 October 2012 09:50 AM

I am sorry to here that GenX won’t ever be a Poser Plugin - that was the only reason I was interested in the DSON importer.

Even when GenX as a plugin requires DAZ Studio, this is no restriction for using GenX with Poser. DS is free and you can use GenX inside of DS without knowing anything about DS. The morphs and presets created by GenX can be used with Genesis in Poser by DSON Importer like any other morphs and presets for Genesis.

Posted: 29 October 2012 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  119
Joined  2003-11-28
Dimension3D - 12 October 2012 01:15 PM

Thank you Ralph, for your fine work. Gen X is an immensely useful tool. And thank you also for DSON Loader. It loads dsf as easily as DSON files. Are there any plans for enabling it to load dsa files too? They seem to be old-style DStudio mat files. That would be very nice. Thank you anyway.

Posted: 29 October 2012 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  613
Joined  2004-12-14
Dimension3D - 28 October 2012 10:34 AM
ssgbryan - 26 October 2012 09:50 AM

Even when GenX as a plugin requires DAZ Studio, this is no restriction for using GenX with Poser. DS is free and you can use GenX inside of DS without knowing anything about DS. The morphs and presets created by GenX can be used with Genesis in Poser by DSON Importer like any other morphs and presets for Genesis.

DS4 being free doesn’t make up for all of the problems that DS4 brings to my MacPro.

The problem is that I don’t grok the DS 4 interface - and since there is no documentation and none forthcoming on the horizon (spare me the “Documentation is coming” - we have been hearing that for 15 months now - longer if you are a Cararra user), I am very reluctant to invest effort in it. 

Then there is the effort it takes to delete DS4 once I am done with GenX (the last time I deleted DS 4.5, it took me several hours rooting through my hard drives to nuke all of the files that the uninstallers left behind.)

Signature 

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” - Aldous Huxley

Posted: 29 October 2012 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  541
Joined  2010-09-02
ssgbryan - 29 October 2012 01:25 PM

The problem is that I don’t grok the DS 4 interface - and since there is no documentation

This should be enough Studio documentation for most of your GenXing… GenX Plug-in Tutorial

Signature 

Windows:          DAZ History Manager         Daz Wishlist Manager         3D Content Downloader

Firefox Fixes for the Old Forum:      Bookmarks       Images

Fun With Bundles Thread 2

Posted: 30 October 2012 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-02-15

pantene: Old style DS material files are actually scripts (i.e. program code, no data). That’s why it would be rather difficult to write an importer for them. It would be simpler to write an export plugin for DS to create a Poser material from a material in a DS scene. (I don’t know if anyone already did this.)

ssgbryan: I understand your point, but rewriting GenX as a stand-alone tool would be a major effort. Using GenX inside of DS requires essentially to enter the registration number (in the Help > About installed plugins menu) and to open the GenX tab (from the Window > Tabs menu). Once you have the GenX tab open in DS, you can use GenX independently from DS. (You also may need to add the Poser runtime folders to the DS library to ensure GenX finds all file references.)

Posted: 30 October 2012 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  119
Joined  2003-11-28
Dimension3D - 30 October 2012 06:58 AM

pantene: Old style DS material files are actually scripts (i.e. program code, no data). That’s why it would be rather difficult to write an importer for them. It would be simpler to write an export plugin for DS to create a Poser material from a material in a DS scene. (I don’t know if anyone already did this.)

ssgbryan: I understand your point, but rewriting GenX as a stand-alone tool would be a major effort. Using GenX inside of DS requires essentially to enter the registration number (in the Help > About installed plugins menu) and to open the GenX tab (from the Window > Tabs menu). Once you have the GenX tab open in DS, you can use GenX independently from DS. (You also may need to add the Poser runtime folders to the DS library to ensure GenX finds all file references.)

Thank you. I will look into that.