Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
First render completed, need comments and advice (no brickbats, please, I’m a noob! :D)
Posted: 14 October 2012 03:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  480
Joined  2010-06-18

Hi…

The Portia hair is a “prop” hair, so what you need to do is to “Parent” it to V4’s head.

With V4 in the default pose, Right-Click on the Portia hair in the scene tab and select ‘Change Parent’ in the context menu. Then in the dialog window that opens find and click on the ‘Head’ then press Accept. The hair will now be parented to V4’s head and move with it.

Another way is to drag-and-drop the hair to the head of V4 in the scene tab.

The preset “Portia !V4” that you clicked on is to adjust the shape to fit V4’s head. Select the Portia hair and then double-click the preset to adjust the fit.

Normally when loading hair or clothing in Daz Studio, make sure that you have your figure selected in the scene first. That way clothing and hair will automatically parent or conform to the figure for you.

Hope this helps… smile

Posted: 14 October 2012 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  252
Joined  2012-10-05

It certainly did! Took a bit of trial and error, but I followed these steps:

1) Placed the hair on the figure;
2) Went to the Scene menu and did “Change Parent” as you instructed;
3) Ran the Portia V4 preset to fit the hair to the figure.

The attached files are the result. Now to save this (after adjusting the hair color and some details) as the base figure and move on to clothing. smile

Image Attachments
base_figure_with_portia_hair_properly_in_place.jpgbase_figure_with_portia_hair_properly_in_place_side_view.jpgbase_figure_with_portia_hair_properly_in_place_top_view.jpg

Posted: 14 October 2012 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-05

Now the next question: when I put boots (or other footwear) on the figure, I get a popup message telling me that the preset has values outside the limits for the currently selected item, and asking whether I want to “leave the limits on” or “leave limits on”. What does that mean? Also, the default foot position when the footwear goes on doesn’t look right, as seen in the image below - you can see that the feet are bent up so that the heels are pointing diagonally. I want to get it set up so that the soles are set on the floor and so are the heels.

Image Attachments
default_position_of_booted_feet.jpg

Posted: 14 October 2012 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22
joea64 - 14 October 2012 06:29 AM

Now the next question: when I put boots (or other footwear) on the figure, I get a popup message telling me that the preset has values outside the limits for the currently selected item, and asking whether I want to “leave the limits on” or “leave limits on”. What does that mean? Also, the default foot position when the footwear goes on doesn’t look right, as seen in the image below - you can see that the feet are bent up so that the heels are pointing diagonally. I want to get it set up so that the soles are set on the floor and so are the heels.

It means the Out of Limit’s would be beyond what the model was designed to do but can be done. It would have moved the feet to the position you wanted at start. You can still go in and POSE the feet yourself. Self Posing is a very important step in 3D art.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 14 October 2012 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-05

My latest render, using a pose and expression from the Firearms Action Pack with the .308 rifle from the Firearms Pack and the V4 Leather Teddy. Several issues:

1) Skin is showing through the gloves in a couple of patches as you can see from the closeup picture.
2) The left hand didn’t pose properly when I loaded the figure pose, so I had to manipulate it to get it into the right (more or less) position.
3) As I noted, I still need to learn how to pose feet properly because the default foot position when boots or shoes are loaded onto the figure looks strange.

More generally,  I’m having a problem with clothes looking “ragged”, appearing torn-up with large patches of skin showing through, when I put them on the figure, even when I use the “fit to” menu option. The Leather Teddy is actually the only third-party clothing item I’ve been able to successfully fit on the figure so far. Advice?

Image Attachments
determined_josephine_with_her_rifle_1_2000_x_1000.jpgdetermined_josephine_with_her_rifle_2_2000_x_1000.jpgdetermined_josephine_with_her_rifle_3_2000_x_1000.jpghands_of_josephine_with_skin_showing_through_gloves_2000_x_1000.jpg

Posted: 14 October 2012 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

That is known as Poke Thru the fast fix if it works for the image is this.

Your hand problem: Open your Secene Tab, Expand the V4 and go to the Hands of the V4 use the Eye icon to turn the hand invisible. The poke thru will not show. For places that that can not be done you will need to learn some new stuff. Deformers would be the place to start. That is not to hard but will take time to learn.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 14 October 2012 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

For poke through quick fixes you can also select the item of clothing and on the ‘parameters’ tab go to scale and size up slightly.

When scaling up, you might need to ‘translate’ it in the x, y, or z axis just a touch also.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 14 October 2012 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-05

OK, thanks. I’ll select another outfit - one of the ones that’s been giving me trouble with “poke through” - and give it a try.

Posted: 14 October 2012 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-05

I believe I’ve found a solution to at least posing feet more or less properly in boots. In the V4 Leather Corset set, there’s a pose called “! Boots Feet”. It works not only with the boots in that set but with boots in other sets by the same author, and it works with at least one other boot set. See images below for “before” and “after”. You’ll see that the default position of the booted feet is far more natural now, though the exact alignment will still need some tweaking for an actual pose.

Image Attachments
Feet_in_boots_before_applying_Boots_Feet.jpgFeet_in_boots_after_applying_Boots_Feet.jpg

Posted: 14 October 2012 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-05

Here’s my latest complete render with my model wearing the Sexy Leather outfit by Pretty3D, accessorized with long gloves from another outfit, pointing a 9mm automatic with a “make my day” expression on her face! I had some trouble with “poke through” on the right hand, but solved it by following the suggestion jaderail gave, which was to hide each finger in turn until the “poke through” went away. Also used the !Boots Feet pose mentioned above, which gave the feet a more natural look especially when the legs were positioned. (Also of note; this is the first time I’ve created an expression on the figure’s face using the Parameters tab/menu.)

Image Attachments
Josephine_make_my_day_pointing_9mm_automatic_2000_x_1000_view_1.jpgJosephine_make_my_day_pointing_9mm_automatic_2000_x_1000_view_2.jpgJosephine_make_my_day_pointing_9mm_automatic_2000_x_1000_view_3.jpgJosephine_make_my_day_pointing_9mm_automatic_2000_x_1000_view_4.jpg

Posted: 14 October 2012 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-05

And here’s my latest render of my beautiful blonde action girl. I think I’m beginning to get a grasp of the basics now, including putting expressions on the figure’s face and moving the limbs around. I may soon be ready to start experimenting with sets and lights, then with multiple figures.

Image Attachments
Josephine_the_voluptuous_blonde_gungirl_06_2000_x_1000.jpg

Posted: 15 October 2012 05:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-05

And here’s my action girl again. Continuing to make progress in tweaking expressions and poses; IMHO I’ve produced a pretty fair pinup here, what do you think?

Image Attachments
Marisande_00_Pinup_Clothed_2000_x_1000.jpg

Posted: 15 October 2012 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4727
Joined  2004-07-01
joea64 - 15 October 2012 05:30 AM

And here’s my action girl again. Continuing to make progress in tweaking expressions and poses; IMHO I’ve produced a pretty fair pinup here, what do you think?

I like the other one better .

Posted: 15 October 2012 05:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4727
Joined  2004-07-01

and may I add - change your background color - its not a good color for what you want to do

Posted: 15 October 2012 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-05

First attempt at a multi-figure render. Taking into account the point about backgrounds, I created a primitive floor and used the walls from the Alchemy Chasm set. I need to start looking for more backgrounds and sets, and to find out how to change the base background color..

Image Attachments
Josephine_and_Daniela_take_1_2000_x_1000.jpg

2 of 3