Digital Art Zone

7 of 20
DAZ Studio 4.5.1.6 is now available
Posted: 21 October 2012 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  305
Joined  2003-10-09
Richard Haseltine - 21 October 2012 08:02 AM

Shouldn’t - go to help>About installed plugins and make sure the serial took.

It shows up with a Green Plug as installed.

I’m working from the PDF Guide which seems to be written for one of the old versions that had a Tabs menu. So I guessed that it should show up under Window-Tabs now. Except that it doesn’t show.

It does show up as an action in the Customize dialog and there is a menu defined there for the Decimator Pane. So I’ve used that to place it in the Tabs menu by hand.

It should show up there automatically if installed and registered. Is it a minor bug?

Signature 

Freebies

Posted: 21 October 2012 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  366
Joined  2004-03-03
Baglet - 21 October 2012 08:30 AM
Richard Haseltine - 21 October 2012 08:02 AM

Shouldn’t - go to help>About installed plugins and make sure the serial took.

It shows up with a Green Plug as installed.

I’m working from the PDF Guide which seems to be written for one of the old versions that had a Tabs menu. So I guessed that it should show up under Window-Tabs now. Except that it doesn’t show.

It does show up as an action in the Customize dialog and there is a menu defined there for the Decimator Pane. So I’ve used that to place it in the Tabs menu by hand.

It should show up there automatically if installed and registered. Is it a minor bug?

Not usually a bug, as such. More an unfortunate consequence of the system design.

Presuming you are a previous user, DS will have recorded the layout, menus etc as used by you. Installing some plugins etc adds actions to the action list, and default menus etc, but DS still looks at its custom menu list from your prior use, not the (new) defaults. So after things like upgrades, and adding certain products/functions, you don’t see new and/or changed menu entries. The plus side is that you don’t lose customisations you may have made to menus, toolbars etc. The minus side is you don’t get updated menus with new, rennamed or moved menu entries and new toolbar buttons.

There was quite an argument about this back during the DS1 and 2 versions, with the consequence being that DAZ took it that they could keep the larger number of voluble users happy by preserving the prior user customizations rather than the priority of getting the new/chenged toolbars and menus to show at the price of previous customizations.

Throughout the DS 4 and 4.5 versions I’ve been noticing mentions of changes to menus and toolbars in the changelogs, which weren’t, of course, showing up for me after the version changes due to this issue. So after each version change, I’ve been going to Window->Workspace>Customize and using the Import button down the bottom to import the new default menus and toolbars so that the latest chages and new tools and menu entries show up ... and then redone my customisations after. It’s a bit of a pain, but that’s hoiw its been for a long time.

Posted: 21 October 2012 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  305
Joined  2003-10-09

Thanks DavidGB, it makes sense now.

Signature 

Freebies

Posted: 21 October 2012 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11459
Joined  2007-11-06

...egads, if you have to rename your texture folders that’s not good.

I think I’ll wait until this one gets sorted out.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 21 October 2012 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14719
Joined  2003-10-09
Kyoto Kid - 21 October 2012 01:23 PM

...egads, if you have to rename your texture folders that’s not good.

I think I’ll wait until this one gets sorted out.

What are you referring to?

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 21 October 2012 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...this.

fixmypcmike - 18 October 2012 09:22 PM
barbult - 18 October 2012 09:19 PM

I updated to DS 4.5.1.6 from a previously installed 4.5 version. I installed 14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.6_trx.exe. Now whenever I open a previously saved DUF scene that used content from the Genesis Starter Essentials, it cannot find the texture files. The textures are there in the same folder, but they have new names! I had the problem with Aldora hair, SallyMae hair, Journey Scout and Kids 4 Basic Wear.

I submitted a bug report. https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=48199
Can anyone confirm this problem?

It looks like they’ve changed the folder names rather than the file names—are you seeing the same folder but different file names?

ETA:  I see, in some cases they renamed the files as well.

Signature 

Posted: 21 October 2012 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Ah, that refers to some of the files in the default content - not to a general change that affects everything, and certainly not a change to the base folder name.

Signature 

Posted: 21 October 2012 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...so is there a “no content” version like in the past?

Signature 

Posted: 21 October 2012 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Kyoto Kid - 21 October 2012 03:31 PM

Do you use any of the supplied content - or more to the point the supplied textures? If not this won’t affect you. But only a to a point - the bulk of the content is in a separate installer, but it has been updated (hence the changed paths) so if you don’t use the latest version you may miss out on some fixes (if nothing else, I think you need the 1.6 version for the DSON Importer for Poser if you use that).

Signature 

Posted: 21 October 2012 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1866
Joined  2006-02-17
Richard Haseltine - 21 October 2012 03:55 PM
Kyoto Kid - 21 October 2012 03:31 PM

Do you use any of the supplied content - or more to the point the supplied textures? If not this won’t affect you. But only a to a point - the bulk of the content is in a separate installer, but it has been updated (hence the changed paths) so if you don’t use the latest version you may miss out on some fixes (if nothing else, I think you need the 1.6 version for the DSON Importer for Poser if you use that).

Also, KK, since you are new to DS4 it’s unlikely that you’ve used much, if any, of the affected content.  Therefore, you should be good to go with no problems at all.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 21 October 2012 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...so everything from the Genesis Essentials DL should be fine then?

...still using .114 as it seems to be working OK on my ancient system (unless I do something silly like load up the entire Big City set by Stonemason as I did last night).

Render time is a vast improvement over 3Advanced.

Signature 

Posted: 21 October 2012 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2421
Joined  2012-02-04

The problem with the Genesis Essentials textures comes when you reload a scene that was saved with a previous version. If you create a new scene, there is no problem finding the textures for the new content.

For example, I had saved a scene a month ago that used the Aldora hair. When I reloaded that scene with DS 4.5.1.6 (which uses new Genesis Essentials 1.6), DS couldn’t find the texture for Aldora hair. It gave me about a dozen error pop up messages. The workaround is to tell DS to stop looking for those textures and then go to the Smart Content (or Content Library) materials and reselect the texture after the scene loads.

Posted: 21 October 2012 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 103 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8979
Joined  2007-11-06

It looks to me like what happened was that the original default content in DS 4.0 used reduced res versions of the textures for the content that was converted to Genesis (hair and clothing), but now it uses the full res versions.  The reduced res versions were uninstalled when the new ones were installed, but of course if you used the old versions the textures are no longer there.

An annoyance, but it’s just a matter of going to the content and reapplying the mats.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 21 October 2012 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 104 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1866
Joined  2006-02-17

Yup.  Just tested… Works fine for a new scene, save, load.  4.5.1.6 + GE1.6

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 22 October 2012 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 105 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2004-06-28

I gave up with 4.5 on my Win7 64 bit machine.  I upgraded and lost my Daz3 content folder etc…Np with Win XP 32 bit…But this is the 2nd time I uninstalled and tried to reinstall…. Not worth the frustration.  I had to reinstall all my Daz3 purchases. Good thing I saved all to external HD….

7 of 20