DAZ Studio 4.5.1.6 is now available
Posted: 28 October 2012 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-12-24
artistb3 - 11 October 2012 10:40 PM
Kendall Sears - 11 October 2012 09:50 PM
artistb3 - 11 October 2012 09:43 PM
DavidGB - 11 October 2012 05:31 PM

Windows 7. The first crashed uninstall did manage somehow to wipe out the .dat file for the uninstaller, so on any subsequent attempts to install the uninstall failed again, this time erroring on the lack of the .dat file. And every time the uninstall fails for any reason, the installer itself crashes the moment control is returned to it by my acknowledging the failure of the uninstall.

<Sigh>

This whole DAZ install/uninstall method is so unrobust I could cry. It is just so pathetic.

There should be an option to install without uninstalling, to deal with cases when the uninstall fails.

And the installer should not crash immediately following the failure of an uninstall.

This really isn’t rocket science. Just basic, for heaven’s sake. Build in some flipping robustness. Don’t just assume every step will succeed so when one step fails the whole thing goes tits up.

This happened, and I reported it, virtually every DS 4 beta before the first DS4 public release. And since the public release and my demotion to the ranks of the plebs, it’s kept on happening every public version and public beta of DS 4 and DS4.5 too.

Hello? Anyone listening? Well, I was never listened to as a tester, all my open bug reports were closed awhile ago even though I kept adding notes the bugs were still there (and no, I am NOT going to type them all out again in a new bug tracker - typing hurts, and you could have damn well migrated the open bugs, or checked them yourselves instead of just closing them), so I don’t suppose I’ll be listened to as a mere customer.

Yes, I’ve got it to install by going into my Program Files and manually deleting the broken uninstaller .exe. A user SHOULD NOT NEED TO DO THAT.

Then the installer ran to completion - but threw up an error message about a problem installing the CMS.

AGAIN.

JUST LIKE LAST BETA INSTALL AND THE ONE BEFORE.

Good thing i don’t use the CMS - though ti would be nice to have it just in case I ever want it.

It would be REALLY NICE if DAZ actually spent some time fixing things, instead of just releasing new things (some broken) while leaving all the broken stuff unfixed. It would be ESPECIALLY NICE if, for the first time ever in all the beta and public versions of DS 4 and DS 4.5 JUST ONE would actually install without crashes of installers and uninstallers and error messages about parts of the install process and me needing to go rooting through the Program Files folders to find and delete things just to get the bloody thing to install.

Crazed.  I got the same problem.  It appears to be an issue with the Remove-DAZStudio4_Win64.exe that was installed with the 4.5.0 release.  Windows reports “...is not a valid Win32 application” when trying to run it directly. 

After attempting to run the 4.5.1.6 installer, DAZ studio no longer even appears in the Control Panel list of installed programs (registry now screwed up?).  Not possible to uninstall using any standard method that I can see.  This is so pathetic and also so typical of DAZ.  Before trying anything else, would be useful to find out what others have successfully done to get this to work.

I’ve installed 4.5.1.6 on numerous machines: XP/32, XP/64, Vista/32, Vista/64, Win7/32,Win7/64,MacOS and Linux/Wine.  No problems.  Start the investigation on a Windows problem on your machine.  It is likely that you have something interfering with the process.

Kendall

I have installed hundreds of applications on various machines over the years.  Very rarely had any issue with an installer.  However, in every case, it came down to an issue with the installer and not with the system. 

I have installed all of the DS4 updates over the past year without issue until now.  At this point, I am quite confident This is a DAZ problem and not a Windows problem.

In over 30 years of developing software, one of the things that I know from experience is that just because it works on system A and not on system B, does not automatically mean that root cause lies with system B.  It means that the software process better be robust enough to determine exactly what the root cause is when reported.  Too often, wishful thinking combined with “...well, it works on my machine so the problem must be with yours…” will result in defects getting overlooked.

I too have installed hundreds of applications on various machines over the years.  Very rarely had any issue with an installer.  However, in every case, it came down to an issue with the installer and not with the system. 

I have installed all of the DS4 updates over the past year without issue until now.  At this point, I am quite confident This is a DAZ problem and not a Windows problem.  Programs like REVo Uninstaller help in situations like this. I’m still smarting from the Dup. ID problems that screw DS4 up. I’ll just have to wait for DS5 or maybe DS6.

Posted: 30 October 2012 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1426
Joined  2009-09-11

I had to send my notebook for what I thought were heating issues. In addition to replacing the thermal unit they also replaced the HD. Hence my system was re formatted. I now just have 4.5 without any previous 3 installed since I had saved my DAZ 3D folder to en external drive. I did not need to re install the added content.  It now loads much faster & without a genesis figure and less duplicate error messages…

Signature 

http://bobvan.deviantart.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37909888@N05/sets/

Posted: 30 October 2012 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2004-06-28

Win7 64 bit machine…Just tried reinstalled Daz 4.5 for the 3rd time…Now its on a partitioned drive…Guess what.. My
Michael4 had textures mising using Daz3.. I had to reinstall..When I opened got window saying it didn’t see any
metadata files….  Just said ok….Now it’s showing up… 4.5 is simply scary..

Posted: 31 October 2012 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  811
Joined  2007-01-08
heinz0r - 27 October 2012 04:59 AM

If you could implement a way to set a key for pin/unpin with the active pose tool that would be very nice too. Right now I can pin by using ctrl click on the powerpose avatar window but it would be nice if I could pin and unpin within the viewport aswell to speed things up.

Pressing spacebar should do the pinning/unpinning in ActivePose.

@Kerya: can’t remember for sure, and it looks like I don’t have Hexagon on this computer, but it’s either in the dzInstall.ini file (Documents\<username>\Application Data\DAZ 3D) or in the registry.

Posted: 01 November 2012 03:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6597
Joined  2006-02-20
ReDave - 31 October 2012 03:36 PM

@Kerya: can’t remember for sure, and it looks like I don’t have Hexagon on this computer, but it’s either in the dzInstall.ini file (Documents\<username>\Application Data\DAZ 3D) or in the registry.

Thank you!!!!!!
It’s the dzInstall.ini in appdata - I had one as admin, but not as user.
I just copied it over - and voilà! Working Bridge!

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki: https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org

Posted: 02 November 2012 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1618
Joined  2005-02-25

ug for some reason it seems daz is not saving properly.  I save, close, open again… morphs are not the same, position is not the same, smoothing is off….

the heck?? why on EARTH is the scene NOT THE SAME as when I saved it a MINUTE AGO???

Posted: 02 November 2012 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 127 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  811
Joined  2007-01-08

Glad it’s working Kerya!!! ^_^

@belovedalia: hmm, what did you use and/or do, exactly? If it’s easy to reproduce you should file a bug report at bugs.daz3d.com (needs a new account and password).

Posted: 02 November 2012 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 128 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1618
Joined  2005-02-25

it’s not easy to reproduce tho it keeps happening… its just that I save it, and then sometimes right after I reload it again, somethings are off.  For example i saved a scene, so i could start a second instance of daz, and load the same scene… save, open another daz, load scene… the two scenes didn’t match :( so weird.

Posted: 03 November 2012 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 129 ]
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2003-10-09

I’m gettiing loads of crashes since this update. On mac 10.7.5. Tried trashing prefs etc, which helped a bit, but now
every time I try to pose a character (any) using the universal tool the whole app crashes.

Luckilly I have Time Machine so I’m reverting to the previous version for now. Really don’t recommend anyone try this one.
Its by far the most buggy and crash prone Studio yet.

Update: Deleted EVERYTHING except content, so all prefs, libraries, studio folders etc. Uninstalled genesis essentials. Then re-installed everything and so far, touch wood, Studio is working again…

Posted: 07 November 2012 03:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 130 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2003-10-09

Anyone having trouble with DazStudio 4.5 and Windows 8 Pro? I got an error installing it and cant run it (0xc000007b) error…

Signature 

Shaders and Freebies for Carrara
http://www.euqfiz.com.br

Posted: 07 November 2012 04:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 131 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  556
Joined  2011-04-14

So…..should I use Daz4, Daz4.5 or just stick to Daz3?

And no, I am not using genesis items, if anyone was going to ask.

Posted: 07 November 2012 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 132 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6597
Joined  2006-02-20

DS4.5 is rendering faster than DS3 - for me anyway.
You can install DS4.5 additionally to DS3, if you feel like it.
Personally I wouldn’t install DS4 anymore.

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki: https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org

Posted: 07 November 2012 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 133 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2059
Joined  2011-07-31
GKDantas - 07 November 2012 03:49 AM

Anyone having trouble with DazStudio 4.5 and Windows 8 Pro? I got an error installing it and cant run it (0xc000007b) error…

Have you checked the Windows 8 thread?  Maybe someone there can help you.

Signature 

AtticAnne in Austin TX

Posted: 07 November 2012 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 134 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4524
Joined  2007-09-13
GKDantas - 07 November 2012 03:49 AM

I saw three common causes for that error, when I looked it up…hard drive issues, OS corruption and Windows built in ‘nannyware’...

How, exactly did you get to Win8?  If it was an ‘in place upgrade’, then OS corruption or ‘nanny’ behavior are your most likely candidates.  It should have done a drive scan during the install.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 11 November 2012 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 135 ]
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-09-03

I’ve installed Pro 4.5 and I keep getting crashes when I attempt to move the figure in Pose & Animate. It happens continually. Maybe I’m missing something with this Pro 4.5 update?

I get this error: DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module “C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\DzCore.dll” at 0033:00000000E35C1050, DzNode::getPresentation()

Whats the deal O.o?

9 of 20