8 of 20
DAZ Studio 4.5.1.6 is now available
Posted: 22 October 2012 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8774
Joined  2007-11-06
vitachick - 22 October 2012 07:26 AM

I gave up with 4.5 on my Win7 64 bit machine.  I upgraded and lost my Daz3 content folder etc…Np with Win XP 32 bit…But this is the 2nd time I uninstalled and tried to reinstall…. Not worth the frustration.  I had to reinstall all my Daz3 purchases. Good thing I saved all to external HD….

Where was your DS3 content folder?  Win7 doesn’t allow user files in the Program Files hierarchy.  DS4 doesn’t do anything to your old content folder—are you sure it was deleted, and not that you didn’t import your content folders from DS3 to DS4?

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 22 October 2012 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11246
Joined  2007-11-06

...as I recall, all versions of Daz studio prior to 4 installed everything to the Programme Files/Daz folder as a default (in XP).  So if Win7 does not allow this, where should the S2/S3Advanced content files be directed during install?

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 22 October 2012 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
Kyoto Kid - 22 October 2012 09:28 PM

...as I recall, all versions of Daz studio prior to 4 installed everything to the Programme Files/Daz folder as a default (in XP).  So if Win7 does not allow this, where should the S2/S3Advanced content files be directed during install?

DS2 defaulted to Program Files, DS3 defaulted to My Documents.  The DS3+ defaulting to My Documents is just a default, you can place and name your content folder anywhere you like, so long as it isn’t in a protected folder and you make sure to always install the that folder, regardless of what a particular installer defaults to.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 22 October 2012 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 109 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...on my new setup, I plan to have 2.3.3, 3.1.2.32,and 4.5 all installed, (the earlier versions for using older content and plugins that are not compatible with later updates of the app).

So can Studio 2.3 have the content in a different folder structure or will that break things?  Basically the “root” runtime for all my non-4.5 proprietary content will need to be in this folder so that both of the older versions of Studio as well as PoserPro, Carrara, and Bryce can access it.

Signature 

Posted: 22 October 2012 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 110 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
Kyoto Kid - 22 October 2012 09:51 PM

...on my new setup, I plan to have 2.3.3, 3.1.2.32,and 4.5 all installed, (the earlier versions for using older content and plugins that are not compatible with later updates of the app).

So can Studio 2.3 have the content in a different folder structure or will that break things?  Basically the “root” runtime for all my non-4.5 proprietary content will need to be in this folder so that both of the older versions of Studio as well as PoserPro, Carrara, and Bryce can access it.

In that case I would install DS2 outside of Program Files (x86), with the content folder beneath it.  Some things need to be in the internal runtime for DS2, but DS3 and DS4 are fine with external runtimes.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 23 October 2012 04:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 111 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  372
Joined  2004-04-07

The way windows 7 (and Vista) cope with old, badly behaved programs is to redirect any calls to /Program Files\DAZ3D\... to somewhere like \appdata\virtual\DAZ3D\...

It tries to do this automagically, behind the scenes but its obviously not always successful. In theory if you locate the virtual folders you could add those runtimes to DS directly and that should also work.

Signature 

regards
prixat

Posted: 23 October 2012 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 112 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...what about installing 2.3.3 and it’s runtimes to the C:\root?

Signature 

Posted: 23 October 2012 11:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 113 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
Kyoto Kid - 23 October 2012 10:55 PM

...what about installing 2.3.3 and it’s runtimes to the C:\root?

That’ll work.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 26 October 2012 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 114 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  78
Joined  2003-10-09
DavidGB - 11 October 2012 05:31 PM

Windows 7. The first crashed uninstall did manage somehow to wipe out the .dat file for the uninstaller, so on any subsequent attempts to install the uninstall failed again, this time erroring on the lack of the .dat file. And every time the uninstall fails for any reason, the installer itself crashes the moment control is returned to it by my acknowledging the failure of the uninstall.

<Sigh>

This whole DAZ install/uninstall method is so unrobust I could cry. It is just so pathetic.

There should be an option to install without uninstalling, to deal with cases when the uninstall fails.

And the installer should not crash immediately following the failure of an uninstall.

This really isn’t rocket science. Just basic, for heaven’s sake. Build in some flipping robustness. Don’t just assume every step will succeed so when one step fails the whole thing goes tits up.

This happened, and I reported it, virtually every DS 4 beta before the first DS4 public release. And since the public release and my demotion to the ranks of the plebs, it’s kept on happening every public version and public beta of DS 4 and DS4.5 too.

Hello? Anyone listening? Well, I was never listened to as a tester, all my open bug reports were closed awhile ago even though I kept adding notes the bugs were still there (and no, I am NOT going to type them all out again in a new bug tracker - typing hurts, and you could have damn well migrated the open bugs, or checked them yourselves instead of just closing them), so I don’t suppose I’ll be listened to as a mere customer.

Yes, I’ve got it to install by going into my Program Files and manually deleting the broken uninstaller .exe. A user SHOULD NOT NEED TO DO THAT.

Then the installer ran to completion - but threw up an error message about a problem installing the CMS.

AGAIN.

JUST LIKE LAST BETA INSTALL AND THE ONE BEFORE.

Good thing i don’t use the CMS - though ti would be nice to have it just in case I ever want it.

It would be REALLY NICE if DAZ actually spent some time fixing things, instead of just releasing new things (some broken) while leaving all the broken stuff unfixed. It would be ESPECIALLY NICE if, for the first time ever in all the beta and public versions of DS 4 and DS 4.5 JUST ONE would actually install without crashes of installers and uninstallers and error messages about parts of the install process and me needing to go rooting through the Program Files folders to find and delete things just to get the bloody thing to install.

I’ve had a similar experience as a Beta Tester, although attention was paid to most issues, but some important ones they never dealt with.
It’s sad that with the incredibly clever, creative, innovative improvements (like Genesis), they made the overall interface harder to learn and less easy to use (except for metadata and smart content). It’s especially frustrating when things like install and uninstall, basic stuff as you rightly say, continue to break down. There is no good excuse for this.

I’m afraid but as far as am concerned, especially with the incredible BOTCHED Store Software, DAZ3D has really gone downhill. There are constant screw-ups on the web pages. I just don’t even use DAZ Studio as much as I used to.  It’s very sad.

Dan

Posted: 27 October 2012 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 115 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2010-12-25

Really nice update guys.

I like the additions to the scene tab edit menu. Also splitting the menus up was a good thing. Also the addition of more things into the keybinds is always a good thing. If you already did this in a previous update then my bad, but its a good addition nevertheless smile

If you could implement a way to set a key for pin/unpin with the active pose tool that would be very nice too. Right now I can pin by using ctrl click on the powerpose avatar window but it would be nice if I could pin and unpin within the viewport aswell to speed things up.

And since I am at looking at the PowerPose window, could you also perhaps split the movements inside the PowerPose window so you dont move two axis at the same time but make it so that you rather just affect ONE axis at a time using the mouse dragging over the green joint spots? So for example LMB drag would be bend up or down, RMB drag would be sideways left or right and MMB would be twist left right.

Posted: 27 October 2012 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 116 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5967
Joined  2006-02-20

Anybody else with problems with the Bryce and the Hexagon Bridge?

Bryce_7.1.0.109
Hexagon 2.5.1.79
DazStudio 4.5.1.6

Whenever I try to send something to Bryce, DazStudio tells me:
the Bryce Bridge requires Bryce 7.1.0.73.

Trying the other way round, opening DS from Bryce:
I get a window to choose my version of DazStudio to run and there is nothing in the dropdown menu. It doesn’t react at all.

The Bridge to Hexagon doesn’t work either ... it tells me I need Hexagon 2.5.1.52 or higher ...

I am using the 64bit version of DazStudio ... do I really have to install the 32bit for the bridge to work?

?????????????????????
Help?

I even tried installing DS and Bryce again ... nothing doing ...

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki: https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org

Posted: 27 October 2012 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 117 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  709
Joined  2010-03-13

Sending to Hexagon works here. Bryce I cannot test as Bryce won’t run on my Mac.

My versions running on Mac OS X Lion: Daz Studio 4.5.1.6, Hexagon 2.5.1.79, and Hexagon Bridge 1.2.1.6

Are the installed versions of the bridges fitting to the application versions?

Posted: 27 October 2012 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 118 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16097
Joined  2003-10-09
Kerya - 27 October 2012 08:36 AM

Anybody else with problems with the Bryce and the Hexagon Bridge?

Bryce_7.1.0.109
Hexagon 2.5.1.79
DazStudio 4.5.1.6

Whenever I try to send something to Bryce, DazStudio tells me:
the Bryce Bridge requires Bryce 7.1.0.73.

Trying the other way round, opening DS from Bryce:
I get a window to choose my version of DazStudio to run and there is nothing in the dropdown menu. It doesn’t react at all.

The Bridge to Hexagon doesn’t work either ... it tells me I need Hexagon 2.5.1.52 or higher ...

I am using the 64bit version of DazStudio ... do I really have to install the 32bit for the bridge to work?

?????????????????????
Help?

I even tried installing DS and Bryce again ... nothing doing ...

Have a look at this video   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3T1uIjNkX4

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 27 October 2012 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 119 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2004-06-23

Just wanted to mention that I had zero issues with all this. Windows 7 64. I did a clean install of the last version which seems to have made this one painless. I’d say if you did the same there is no need to do anything other than run the installer.

Posted: 28 October 2012 03:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 120 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5967
Joined  2006-02-20

OK, I did get the Bryce bridge working, the Hexagon one still is eluding me.

It included editing the registry (scary!).
See more here:
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/10508/

Now I am left with the nonworking Hexagon bridge ... does somebody know where to tell DazStudio that the correct version of Hexagon IS installed?

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki: https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org

8 of 20