Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Another reason I hate painted on brows…
Posted: 30 May 2012 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2942
Joined  2011-12-10

Has anyone noticed that when you’re using Subsurface Scattering that your eyebrows lose their definition so much that they’re barely there and look like they’re a smudge?  UHG!  It’s just another reason I despise the practice of painting eyebrows onto the main texture!  I always hated it, because it always killed the ability of render artists to change the brows out, but this is just another reason why I think it’s a horrible idea.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 30 May 2012 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12415
Joined  2003-10-09

Have you tried using the skin textures as a SSS strength map? If the brows are darker than the est of the skin that might help a bit.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 30 May 2012 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

That’s what I do 100% of the time.  The results are better, but still unsatisfactory.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 30 May 2012 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2007-04-10

I’m with ya 100% I also cannot stand burned-in highlights on the skin/cornea/iris either, but I do see the artistic merit for them to be there, as they’re excellent for stylistic renders, plus they’re already included in the photo ref sites for the most part. That’s why I like Daz’s textures as they don’t have the highlights, nor breasts/glutes burned into the texture either…I forgot to mention those black nostrils, because they look completely unnatural if you’re trying to go for realism over the stylistic approach…

However, the nostrils/eyebrows are easy enough to fix, simply edit them out with the stamp/healing brush. wink

Image Attachments
!_TZOKHEGIN2.jpg
 Signature 

^                      ^
This is my avatar…

Posted: 30 May 2012 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  722
Joined  2006-06-12

Wancow, are you a Daz Studio user? I could whip you up some fibermesh brows pretty quickly if that’s the case, and they’d naturally follow Genesis’ morphs. 

Facial fibermesh for Daz figures in poser is a bit more of a hassle.  With a figure like Apollo, I could just morphing clothes all of the morphs in and make the facial hair superconforming, since there’s a one to one relationship between the dials and the morphs they affect.  V4 and M4 are much less direct in that many of their facial morphs are actually control dials which affect multiple morphs at once.  You try to transfer that using morphing clothes and the results are pretty ugly.

But yeah, I could make Genesis brows in both masculine and feminine varieties in less than a couple hours, I’m sure.

Signature 

My Daz Store
ShareCG Freebies

Posted: 30 May 2012 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  209
Joined  2003-10-09
Joequick - 30 May 2012 04:03 PM

Wancow, are you a Daz Studio user? I could whip you up some fibermesh brows pretty quickly if that’s the case, and they’d naturally follow Genesis’ morphs. 

Facial fibermesh for Daz figures in poser is a bit more of a hassle.  With a figure like Apollo, I could just morphing clothes all of the morphs in and make the facial hair superconforming, since there’s a one to one relationship between the dials and the morphs they affect.  V4 and M4 are much less direct in that many of their facial morphs are actually control dials which affect multiple morphs at once.  You try to transfer that using morphing clothes and the results are pretty ugly.

But yeah, I could make Genesis brows in both masculine and feminine varieties in less than a couple hours, I’m sure.

If that were a product, I’d buy it. I do have the Genesis Eyebrows, and they work fairly well, but they don’t conform completely to all morphs (eg. Chibi-Boy). I haven’t tested it extensively but I think the farther you go off “norm” the more problems.

A set of eyebrows that worked with any (or even most) morphs with both a male and female style would certainly be worth purchasing to me.

—Walt Sterdan

Posted: 31 May 2012 01:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-06-12

Here are some eyebrows.  They’re texture-less, so read the description for some pointers on how to set up your shaders (basically, save the shader setup from your favorite hair prop as a shader preset, strip out the textures, and then apply it to the brows).

They’re 10,000 poly, so I wouldn’t fill a room with them.  At their base resolution they’re composed of three sided strands of polys three polygons in length. 

http://www.sharecg.com/v/62327/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Free-Genesis-Fibermesh-Eyebrows

Image Attachments
browgirl.jpg
 Signature 

My Daz Store
ShareCG Freebies

Posted: 31 May 2012 04:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2004-10-19

Thank you so much! grin

Posted: 31 May 2012 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10
wsterdan - 30 May 2012 04:49 PM

If that were a product, I’d buy it. I do have the Genesis Eyebrows, and they work fairly well, but they don’t conform completely to all morphs (eg. Chibi-Boy). I haven’t tested it extensively but I think the farther you go off “norm” the more problems.

A set of eyebrows that worked with any (or even most) morphs with both a male and female style would certainly be worth purchasing to me.

—Walt Sterdan

DITTO DITTO DITTO!  Yes, am a D|S4 User (and huge Genesis Sycophant)

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 31 May 2012 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10
Joequick - 31 May 2012 01:29 AM

Here are some eyebrows.  They’re texture-less, so read the description for some pointers on how to set up your shaders (basically, save the shader setup from your favorite hair prop as a shader preset, strip out the textures, and then apply it to the brows).

Amazing!  Thank you so VERY MUCH!

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 31 May 2012 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

this is a simple test with the Die Trying Eyebrow Arc Morph!  THEY WORK YYEEEEHAW!

Image Attachments
eyebrowtest.jpg
 Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 31 May 2012 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

Joequick, I’m looking at the UVS in UVMapper and it shows that some of the geometries are outside of the zone, which means they’ll tile… would you like me to correct them, and extend them over the entire UVS area (they currently only occupy half) and send it to you?

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 31 May 2012 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

Actually… here’s something else I could do, is create a UVS file, assuming I could figure out how it works, to apply to the new eyebrows.

Here’s something that might work since we could make them thinner with transparency:

That said: IF you decide to make say, six different brows and put them up for sale: I WILL BE YOUR FIRST CUSTOMER!

Edited to remove over-sized images http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewannounce/510_98/

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 31 May 2012 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

More Die Trying morphs, this time with the Bree No Brow texture.

One thing I did notice, I tried the Pose morphs, and those don’t seem to get along with the new brows.  Not a huge problem, as we happen to have this neat thing called “deformers” but in a product it’ll be nice if they had those too.

Can anyone clue me in as to how to apply a UVS file to a mesh in D|S4?

Image Attachments
eyebrowtest-bree.jpg
 Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 31 May 2012 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2007-04-10

Thanks a lot for the free eyebrows, not everything should be up for sale, as there are those of us who can’t dispose of any of their income! smile

Image Attachments
!_TZOKHEGIN3.jpg
 Signature 

^                      ^
This is my avatar…

Posted: 31 May 2012 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-06-12
takezo_3001 - 31 May 2012 01:49 PM

Thanks a lot for the free eyebrows, not everything should be up for sale, as there are those of us who can’t dispose of any of their income! smile

Don’t go thinking I’m particularly saintly.  I’m all about making money on product. I just don’t feel comfortable selling things where I know the software has done more of the work than I have.  I’ve seen a fair deal of people use a lot of hyperbole, when really genesis fibermesh hair is very simple to make.  The only real hurdle is the cost of entry, purchasing zBrush.

Signature 

My Daz Store
ShareCG Freebies

1 of 3