2 of 3
Pw Plugin Problems
Posted: 11 October 2012 03:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4753
Joined  2011-10-04

Hey, thanks!

It looks like doing this solved my problems when I applied certain shaders; I had a “crash and stuck” situation now and then, but after I did this recompiling thing, they’ve been behaving nicely!

Signature 

Thanking: M F M for a gift of dragons!
My DeviantArt page.
My DAZ Studio 4 freebies.
My ramblings/blog

Posted: 11 October 2012 05:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2277
Joined  2007-12-07
Richard Haseltine - 10 October 2012 03:31 PM
mjc1016 - 10 October 2012 03:14 PM
Richard Haseltine - 10 October 2012 02:21 PM

The sahders are recompiled on the fly - without the source code that’s the only option.

No, the—recompile-sdl option will PERMANENTLY recompile the shader, not ‘on the fly’ but actually write it to disk.  Overwriting the original, if there is no other shader folder set in the 3delight.ini (which DS doesn’t use).

True, but I meant the net result is the same - though without having to wait for the recompile each time, I suppose. It isn’t, so far as I know, a substitute for getting a new version of the shaders prepared specifically for the new version of 3delight.

And that is the bit that confuses me ... I thought these shaders (the pw ones) had been updated for DS4.5.

Signature 

Some writings by a friend:
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/11.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/13.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/7.html

Posted: 11 October 2012 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7592
Joined  2009-05-14
mjc1016 - 10 October 2012 07:38 PM

OK…look in the log file for one of those shader warnings.  That’s where you’ll find the items that need to be recompiled.

Then in Windows Explorer, navigate to that folder.

Once you are in that folder, over on the Start Menu type cmd into the Search box and hit ‘Enter’.  That will bring up a window with a black background and white text.  It should be starting in the folder you are in.  Then in that window, at the blinking cursor, type in shaderdl.exe—recompile-sdl *.sdl.  That will run on all the sdl files in that folder.  Repeat for every different folder with the warning message you find.

LOL Thanks mjc even that didn’t work as I get the following
C:\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio 4\shaders>shaderdl.exe-recompile-sdl *.sdl
‘shaderdl.exe-recompile-sdl’ is not recognized as an internal or external comman
d,
operable program or batch file.

C:\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio 4\shaders>

I am assuming I need to enter the sld’s name were you put the astrix

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 11 October 2012 05:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2778
Joined  2004-04-14

Szark, just copy and paste the Shaderdl.exe to the Shader folder and run it.  I did that and it worked for me

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 11 October 2012 05:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
Mattymanx - 11 October 2012 05:46 AM

Szark, just copy and paste the Shaderdl.exe to the Shader folder and run it.  I did that and it worked for me

That was easier cheers.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Posted: 11 October 2012 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-07
Szark - 11 October 2012 05:44 AM

LOL Thanks mjc even that didn’t work as I get the following
C:\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio 4\shaders>shaderdl.exe-recompile-sdl *.sdl
‘shaderdl.exe-recompile-sdl’ is not recognized as an internal or external comman
d,
operable program or batch file.

C:\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio 4\shaders>

I am assuming I need to enter the sld’s name were you put the astrix

Ok, with those paths displayed, try this:

C:\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio 4\shaders>..\bin\shaderdl.exe -recompile-sdl *.sdl 

Note the space between the .exe and -recompile

Signature 

Posted: 11 October 2012 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

I do appreciate the help but no matter what I try I can’t get anything to recomplile. I think I will leave it until the vendors and Daz┬úD get them all undated once and for all.

The steps shown is ok if you have some understanding on what to do but for me I am now totally confused.

Again thanks for trying.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Posted: 11 October 2012 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13560
Joined  2003-10-09
SimonJM - 11 October 2012 05:41 AM

The sahders are recompiled on the fly - without the source code that’s the only option.

No, the—recompile-sdl option will PERMANENTLY recompile the shader, not ‘on the fly’ but actually write it to disk.  Overwriting the original, if there is no other shader folder set in the 3delight.ini (which DS doesn’t use).

True, but I meant the net result is the same - though without having to wait for the recompile each time, I suppose. It isn’t, so far as I know, a substitute for getting a new version of the shaders prepared specifically for the new version of 3delight.

And that is the bit that confuses me ... I thought these shaders (the pw ones) had been updated for DS4.5.

The update was so that they would recompile - before that they wouldn’t. Updating them to 3DL 10 native would have stopped them from working in the version included in DS4.0.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 11 October 2012 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

Szark…it is two separate dashes (minus sign, twice) between the shaderdl.exe and the recompile-sdl bit…

SimonJM - 11 October 2012 05:41 AM

That was to get them to work originally…in the beta there was another update to the 3Delight core…so they may need it again (and from the info message being seen so often, that’s a given).

I did run a test render on my glass shader, before the recompile with it being recompiled on the fly it was taking about 15 minutes to render a scene.  After the recompile, it dropped to 12.  But it wasn’t a completely fair test…I did include the -O3 flag on the recompile (not from source, I’ll have to do that later), so some of the speed increase could have come from the higher level of optimization. 

Adding the higher level of optimization to other shaders isn’t really recommended, because it’s hard to tell what exactly may happen and without a fallback it’s not worth the risk.

One of the other tests for timing was to render to a RIB and then recompile all the shaders in the RIB folder…it took about a minute to do that, so you can figure about a minute of the time spent rendering/waiting for the render to start was 3Delight running the ‘on the fly’ recompile of the shaders…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 11 October 2012 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
mjc1016 - 11 October 2012 09:13 AM

Szark…it is two separate dashes (minus sign, twice) between the shaderdl.exe and the recompile-sdl bit…

To be honest mjc that is not my problem. With all the different bits of info in this thread and me trying different ways to get the job down I find I need step by step instructions. So without burdening anyone for the “Recompliing for complete dummies” book, I can wait until the are done for me. smile Again thanks for your patience and trying to help.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Posted: 30 October 2012 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  2005-02-25

Oh boy. I’m not getting an error message because the shaders don’t seem to be even applying.

I am using DS pro 4.5.0.114.

My pwShaders worked, kind of (pwCatch didn’t work PROPERLY) in DS4 but no longer seem to have any effect. No shader is applying. And yes, I am selecting the object and the surface of the object, and applying shaders-other shaders work but not the pw shaders.  They render very fast but with no effect at all.

I have redownloaded the pwShaders and reinstalled the Daz 4 versions, but without any change. 

Utterly stumped, i can’t even find a folder to go compile even if I had a clue what I was doing!!
And honestly I’m with Szaark, I can’t make head or tails of these instructions. :(

I’m bummed that these were apparently updated but aren’t working for some reason…. arg.

Posted: 30 October 2012 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-07

Make sure you are using latest version of DS4.5 (4.5.1.6) and latest version (I think that is 1.2) of the pw shaders.  Those should work togther ‘out of the box’ albeit most likely with the error/informationl amessage about needing recompiling for best performance.
Once we get you with working shaders we can take the next step into getiing them recompiled.

Signature 

Posted: 14 December 2012 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2011-09-24

I’m having PW plugin problems of a different sort-

In the Content Lib. for pwSurface there are files labeled as mat along side the shaders. Many of these and some of the shaders have associated jpgs that can’t be found. ValSilver7 is one that’s missing and is used in the quicksilver.dsb shader.

Additional research showed that there were mat/texture/jpgs available for another version of pwSurface. These jpgs (also used in other products) must have been removed but their png & ds files are still in the content library.

Does anyone know where all these missing jpgs can be found? if not I guess the solution would be to delete the associated files (the ones that have have missing images & no effect on final render) so they don’t show up in the library.

Thanks. This product does some cool stuph!

Image Attachments
Screen_shot_2012-12-14_at_1.38_.22_PM_.png
 Signature 

My Store
My Gallery
A captain’s goal was simple: find a crew, find a job… keep flying.
-Firefly

Posted: 14 December 2012 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13560
Joined  2003-10-09

They are textures from other products, as examples of using images with the shaders. They aren’t meant to be included with the shaders, my recollection is that the readme did explain this though it may have been lost to an update.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 14 December 2012 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2011-09-24
Richard Haseltine - 14 December 2012 01:30 PM

They are textures from other products, as examples of using images with the shaders. They aren’t meant to be included with the shaders, my recollection is that the readme did explain this though it may have been lost to an update.

Thanks for responding quickly. I didn’t see a note about this in the readme so yeah- maybe it fell out somewhere.
I’m good to go- plenty of shaders to explore.

Signature 

My Store
My Gallery
A captain’s goal was simple: find a crew, find a job… keep flying.
-Firefly

2 of 3