2 of 2
Uberenvironment2 noise
Posted: 13 January 2013 05:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22
bengerman1 - 13 January 2013 04:29 AM

Actually Freelancer604, what you see in the images and what I continue to get is noise even with your advice. I’m not sure how your settings were different, but my copy of Daz studio can with that setting preset.  So unfortunatly that doesn’t solve the problem for me.  Could you perhaps show me a render (doesn’t have to be big) or this perfect noiseless settting?

I think I might be able to help you with this. The one thing that really helps get good renders with a high UE2 setiing is the Render settings. Your Render settings as posted are not close to what I would call HIGH or even Average for a UE2 render. Pixel Samples and Shadow Samples both come into play when using UE2 just like they do when using the DOF funtion on a camera. I see some settings that should help improve your renders once changed.

One that jumps out is Max RayTrace Depth it should never be above 1 or 2 unless rendering Reflections in glass or a mirror.
Pixel Samples (X),(Y) set to 8 are good but 12 or 16 samples per bit will clean up your renders even more. Just as it does in DOF.
Then your Shadow samples are very low at 8, at 12 Pixel Samples try a setting of 32 for Shadow Samples.

All this will Ramp render times way up but your finished renders will be much clearer.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 15 January 2013 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2011-03-22

I think I might have an idea of what’s going wrong.  I’m treating the lights and uberenvironment like it’s luxrender, which it clearly is not.  I can’t simply place a light in a scene and expect it to act like a light in real life right?  And if that is the case, what’s your opinion of the Reality2 plug in?  Because from what I’ve seen it almost looks worth the 60 dollars…

Can I get the same results using the 3Dlight renderer?  And if I can what are some good tricks for getting those results?  My end goal is to get my renders to look life like, the kind you look at and think “holy shit!”.

Posted: 15 January 2013 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4524
Joined  2007-09-13
bengerman1 - 15 January 2013 12:42 AM

Can I get the same results using the 3Dlight renderer?  And if I can what are some good tricks for getting those results?  My end goal is to get my renders to look life like, the kind you look at and think “holy shit!”.

Yes, it’s very possible to get those results…but it’s not as easy as using Lux.

Here’s a dirty little secret about UE2….the presets…the images used are not real high resolution/quality…so it’s quite possible that some of the problems are coming from low grade ‘light sources’...kind of like trying to set up a scene with dusty, grimy bulbs in all your lights.  I’ve tried some self made presets, from higher quality source images and have less noise on lower settings that using the ones that come with UE2.  The ‘base’ UE2 and it’s presets are a good starting point, not the finish line.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 15 January 2013 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1308
Joined  2006-03-14

They’re not “final quality” when used as the primary source of shadows/occlusion.  When you’re using helper lights, they 4X high preset is often overkill.

Signature 

My Tutorials and Freebies Index

2 of 2