As a Web Developer I feel your pain. These things are not easy. Here’s a little constructive criticism:
1) Communicate. Get a short list of key fixes, set dates you’re going to have it fixed and stick to it. Explain why you can’t if you miss your fix date.
2) Get some hot fixes out to let people know you’re working on it. E.G. previously purchased items. This should be a no-brainer – a little PHP or a little SQL. I’m not buying anything until this is fixed because I’ve bought a lot here. And there’s a fix for it on Magento’s site: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/238458/#t340479
3) Did I mention communicate? When you went live the forum and store was down for a week! With no communication. What was that?
4) When Netflix F-ed up big time their CEO sent out an apology. You might want to think about that.
5) How difficult is to display my name and not someone else’s when I log in? This is programming 101. Because I just love going to a store or bar I frequent all the time and having them call me by the wrong name. This is a huge red flag to me as a software developer that something is majorly wrong.
I’m normally not a hater, but I’m really hating the forums. I used to duck in a couple of times a day and I’m to the point now to where I don’t bother. Too hard to find what’s new, what’s fresh. I enjoyed seeing fellow users grow in the contests, get their work out there. Share. Have fun. Joke. I loved the audacious renders. Not seeing any of that any more because I can’t make heads or tails out of the sort order for forums.
DAZ has an incredible user and fan base. Don’t disenfranchise them.
I wish you luck.
p.s. Just noticed Magento has a “Latest Posts” option in their forums (assuming they’re using their framework) http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/
in their forums. Get on the phone. Find out how they do it.