Digital Art Zone

4 of 4
What are some well written Urban Fantasy novels or well done Urban fantasy movies/tv shows?
Posted: 12 October 2012 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2903
Joined  2004-10-25
jakiblue - 11 October 2012 10:08 PM
Miss B - 11 October 2012 07:47 PM
Frank__ - 09 October 2012 06:21 PM

Avoid the “Dresden Files”-TV-series: I watched it two month ago and I don’t think I had liked it even if I didn’t read the books before.

Are they actually showing that somewhere?  I saw about 3 or 4 episodes on the Sci-Fi network a couple/three years ago, and then they cancelled it.  I didn’t realize another network picked it up and continued with it.

Truth be told, I never thought the books would make a good TV series as the storylines to me are a little too much for anything less than a big screen’s R rated movie.  Sponsors would just nix too much of what’s in those books to make the series good.  Too bad as I liked the actor playing Harry.

The books, however, are great.

see, I tried to read the Dresden books….it took me MONTHS to get through #2. I don’t like them at all.

Yet I really really loved the tv series. *grin*

To each his own taste Jaki.  I won’t hold it against you.  wink

I was actually looking forward to the TV series even if they cut out alot, so I WAS disappointed when they cancelled it.

Edited to Add:  Well, lo and behold, Amazon here in the USA has the DVD.  It says there’s 12 episodes, but the Sci-Fi network here only showed 3 or 4 before it was cancelled.  Think I’m going to have to get this.  I happen to like Paul Blackthorne.  I saw him in an early season of Kiefer Sutherland’s TV series “24”.

Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts ~ John Wooden

Posted: 12 October 2012 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2006-09-01
Miss B - 12 October 2012 01:51 PM

That makes sense I guess because as I mentioned above, most of those stories just didn’t fit on the TV screen w/o having to leave out a lot of the good stuff.  On DVD they could include just about anything they wanted with an R rating.

They should have, but they didn’t. The UK version is rated “12” (= 12 years or up), that is something like PG in the USA I guess.

The best episode was “Storm Front”, the only one, who had some more elements from the Butcher books in it.

(But I don’t want to derail this thread.)

Posted: 12 October 2012 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14035
Joined  2003-10-09
Frank__ - 12 October 2012 03:20 PM
Miss B - 12 October 2012 01:51 PM

That makes sense I guess because as I mentioned above, most of those stories just didn’t fit on the TV screen w/o having to leave out a lot of the good stuff.  On DVD they could include just about anything they wanted with an R rating.

They should have, but they didn’t. The UK version is rated “12” (= 12 years or up), that is something like PG in the USA I guess.

The best episode was “Storm Front”, the only one, who had some more elements from the Butcher books in it.

(But I don’t want to derail this thread.)

No, we have PG too - children are allowed in with parental guidance. 12 is like 15 and 18, an absolute (in theory) limit.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

4 of 4