Digital Art Zone

10 of 100
Why Is My Pie Crust Still Frozen Complaint Thread
Posted: 08 October 2012 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 136 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12542
Joined  2007-11-06

..so close but the thread slowed to crawl, it was getting late, and I was seriously nodding off at the keyboard

...too late and too tired to Kvetchup tonight so heading off to crawl under my Sandy Bridge for a good night’s sleep.

At least had a decent Monday for a change.

...the Missed the Bus With a Bunch of Clowns on Board That Didn’t Show Up After It Ran Over My Homework Before it Was Deemed a Lie And Then Thrown Under The Bus Complaint Thread

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 09 October 2012 01:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 137 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4946
Joined  2009-02-26
ps1borg - 08 October 2012 09:28 PM
Spyro - 08 October 2012 06:11 PM

I have a problem.

The 2nd spear (The Right), the bent one, which I UV mapped successfully has a issue in DAZ with its smoothing. Its gone all spastic on me and I not sure how to fix it. (NOTE. There is NO smoothing applied to the original model in 3ds Max, this is ALL Daz error)

Are the ridges geometry or displacement of some kind?  Better to use bump/normal/displacement maps for detail you can get finer control for less effort. (looks like a slight self-shadow artifact on that which may indicate coplanar polys, hard to tell without a few more angles on the object)  wink

No it’s all the actual model. There are no forms of textures, no displacements, no bumps. Here is the crappy daz (grey bkg) and the perfectly fine and what it’s supposed to be on 3ds Max. (black bkg)

I have no lighting set up, nothing to cause shadows. My problem is the Daz smoothing is just spastic. 3ds Max knows better and refers to it as smoothing groups (this type of smoothing doesn’t affect the mesh at all, just how light affects the model… Similar to Daz in the surface tab “smooth On/Off” Except Max allows you to modify that feature, Daz does not. :(

Image Attachments
SGError.jpgMax_Smooth.jpg
 Signature 

- SpyroRue’s Deviant Art -

Posted: 09 October 2012 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 138 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

This is the mesh.

Image Attachments
WIP3_P1.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 09 October 2012 01:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 139 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2158
Joined  2008-01-02

BIG and EVEN BIGGER.  o_O

Image Attachments
water_colossus_by_farkwhad-d3itl81.jpgearth_colossus_by_chase_sc2-d3jdoxw.jpg
 Signature 

Former owner of 9,600+ posts.
404 Raptor not Found. Additionally, an error has occured while trying to display this error message. Please contact your dromaeosaur provider and reboot your raptor.
My gallery~  http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/5858

Posted: 09 October 2012 01:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 140 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22
Rezca - 09 October 2012 01:28 AM

BIG and EVEN BIGGER.  o_O

Loving me some Even Bigger, nice.

CRAP!! I got caught up late. Time to climb in bed or I might get beat (not really)!!

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 09 October 2012 02:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 141 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8520
Joined  2009-06-11
Spyro - 09 October 2012 01:20 AM

This is the mesh.

uh huh. What happens if you delete the polys sitting underneath the ridged group?

Posted: 09 October 2012 02:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 142 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-11
Kyoto Kid - 08 October 2012 11:41 PM

..so close but the thread slowed to crawl, it was getting late, and I was seriously nodding off at the keyboard

...too late and too tired to Kvetchup tonight so heading off to crawl under my Sandy Bridge for a good night’s sleep.

At least had a decent Monday for a change.

...the Missed the Bus With a Bunch of Clowns on Board That Didn’t Show Up After It Ran Over My Homework Before it Was Deemed a Lie And Then Thrown Under The Bus Complaint Thread

Tuesday is good for me, Monday dragged on for ever smile

Posted: 09 October 2012 02:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 143 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

A test render of Spear1B with it’s default textures. I’m pretty proud!

@Ps1Borg…. I couldnt get the exported smoothing groups to work, soooo I took steps. I played around with everything I could find in daz… turned out by lowering the smoothing angel on the separate material zones each with appropiate values, the smoothing distortions were rid of. I guess Daz confused me with it’s basic approach to surface smoothing! Basic, but I will say effective.

Image Attachments
Test_Render_Spear1B_SPY.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 09 October 2012 03:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 144 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6523
Joined  2003-10-09
Spyro - 09 October 2012 02:59 AM

@Ps1Borg…. I couldnt get the exported smoothing groups to work, soooo I took steps. I played around with everything I could find in daz… turned out by lowering the smoothing angel on the separate material zones each with appropiate values, the smoothing distortions were rid of. I guess Daz confused me with it’s basic approach to surface smoothing! Basic, but I will say effective.

That is one sharp spear! Both literal and figurative meanings of “sharp” apply. You gots skillz! wink

Signature 

My Renderosity Gallery - My DAZ Gallery - My ShareCG Freebies
We’ve all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Posted: 09 October 2012 03:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 145 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-11
Spyro - 09 October 2012 02:59 AM

If you use geometry for detail crease angles become fundamental, rather than basic. Just the way things are. Studio’s micropoly handling is good, imho, gives good bump smile

Posted: 09 October 2012 03:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 146 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6523
Joined  2003-10-09

Complaint: Head cold in next phase, Cough cough. Achy all over. Good morning, 2 aspirin, good morning to you. Followed by diabetes, high blood pressure, and depression meds. Preparing to carry on.
Big plus: I’m retired so no job to scurry off to.
Hey you kids! Get off my lawn! (mumble grumble)
mad

Signature 

My Renderosity Gallery - My DAZ Gallery - My ShareCG Freebies
We’ve all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Posted: 09 October 2012 04:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 147 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
tjohn - 09 October 2012 03:49 AM

That is one sharp spear! Both literal and figurative meanings of “sharp” apply. You gots skillz! wink

Thank you, and yes, it is sharp enough to do some serious damage. cool grin

Signature 

Posted: 09 October 2012 04:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 148 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-11
tjohn - 09 October 2012 03:59 AM

Complaint: Head cold in next phase, Cough cough. Achy all over. Good morning, 2 aspirin, good morning to you. Followed by diabetes, high blood pressure, and depression meds. Preparing to carry on.
Big plus: I’m retired so no job to scurry off to.
Hey you kids! Get off my lawn! (mumble grumble)
mad

That sucks. Head cold I mean. Being retired sounds attractive right now, pleasant fantasy is like a holiday that never ends I guess wink

Posted: 09 October 2012 04:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 149 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-11

Matrix Revolution is on TV. Conflicted ‘cos cat girl is on in Batman Returns as well smile

Posted: 09 October 2012 04:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 150 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-11
Spyro - 09 October 2012 04:13 AM
tjohn - 09 October 2012 03:49 AM

Thank you, and yes, it is sharp enough to do some serious damage. cool grin

*likes the banner promo*  smile

10 of 100