Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
program crashing when rendering
Posted: 06 October 2012 12:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-09-03

Hi all,

last night I succeeded in making a cute little figure with brick background. Rendering went fine, i was happy.

Then this morning I want to play with the program again, but every time I reach the point of rendering, the program closes down.

I’m using the 32bit version.

Any suggestions to what may be wrong, since it worked fine last night?

sincerely,
karina brandt

Posted: 06 October 2012 12:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1497
Joined  2012-08-31

You may be using more lights than your system is capable of handling. What all is in your scene? Does it render when you just do a preview render? What are the stats of you system?

Posted: 06 October 2012 01:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2011-09-03

I’m afraid I don’t understand your question about stats of my system, sorry.

but what’s in my scene is purely the little girl Sadie, no backgrounds, no lights. its this little because i’m still only practising and playing around. then when i’m ready to render and save, the program crashes. and like i said - it worked last night, with backgrounds and lights as well. but now i can only play, not render and save. so I really don’t understand why it was able to last night and not today..

- karina

Posted: 06 October 2012 03:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17049
Joined  2003-10-09

What was meant by the stats of your system is this

Are you using a PC or a Mac
What operating system are you using
What are the specs of your computer, ie CPU, amount of ram and what graphics card

these can help us troubleshoot your problem.

Also are you using DS4, DS4.5, Poser or another program ?  The Minimum system specs that you need for DS are listed here

http://www.daz3d.com/products/daz-studio/daz-studio-tech-specs

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 06 October 2012 04:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2011-09-03

Oh, thanks for explaining.

I’m on an ACER X1930 with AMD E-300 1.3 GHz Dual Core Processor, 4GB of Memory and 1000GB Storage on Windows 7 Home , 32 bit but with s secondary path for 64 bit, which to me is a bit confusing. the seller specifically saw to that the graphic card was one of the best and that the ram was maxed out for my needs.

I specified for the computer seller what I needed it for, and this is the one.

I’m using DS4.5 pro and genesis. and compared to all that exists of products for this amazing program, I don’t even have 10% of all that installed.

I checked the minimum requirements for these programs and my computer is suited for a lot more than that.

and like I said, it worked fine last night, but today it crashes.

I think my next step will be to do a system restore to yesterday where it all worked, and see if that helps anything.

thanks for listening.

- Karina

Posted: 06 October 2012 05:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2010-04-17

OK All

I am having the same problems, so here is a screenprint of the error I get. What do I need to do next???

Image Attachments
DAZ3D_crashing1.jpg

Posted: 06 October 2012 05:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2011-09-03

I don’t even get an error message, it just closes down.

Posted: 06 October 2012 05:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7079
Joined  2005-08-15
Angel1359 - 06 October 2012 05:06 AM

OK All

I am having the same problems, so here is a screenprint of the error I get. What do I need to do next???

I cannot read the full error message, the image is too large, but it looks like a memory error.

We need to know what version of DS 4.5 you are using (Help > About DAZ Studio), 32 bit or 64 bit, and what are your system specs?

How much RAM do you have for example?  What is in the Scene, how many lights, and what type, hair, Shaders etc?

What does the log file say about the error, Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File ?

You could also keep an eye on the Task Manager to see how much memory the scene is using when you start to render.

Posted: 06 October 2012 05:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17049
Joined  2003-10-09
GravitonasCoven - 06 October 2012 04:16 AM

Oh, thanks for explaining.

I’m on an ACER X1930 with AMD E-300 1.3 GHz Dual Core Processor, 4GB of Memory and 1000GB Storage on Windows 7 Home , 32 bit but with s secondary path for 64 bit, which to me is a bit confusing. the seller specifically saw to that the graphic card was one of the best and that the ram was maxed out for my needs.

I specified for the computer seller what I needed it for, and this is the one.

I’m using DS4.5 pro and genesis. and compared to all that exists of products for this amazing program, I don’t even have 10% of all that installed.

I checked the minimum requirements for these programs and my computer is suited for a lot more than that.

and like I said, it worked fine last night, but today it crashes.

I think my next step will be to do a system restore to yesterday where it all worked, and see if that helps anything.

thanks for listening.

- Karina

Hmm, your CPU is not quite up to spec

AMD E-300 1.3 GHz Dual Core Processor,

That is a slow processor really.

And are you using onboard graphics, or did you have a graphics card added as an extra.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 06 October 2012 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2010-12-10

I have the same problems with 4.5 32 bit. Sometimes the render crashed just at the end. With 4 it was never a problem!

Posted: 06 October 2012 06:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8323
Joined  2009-05-14

I watching this one intently as I am also getting TOO many Memory crashes and crashes without a warning. Nothing appears in the Log about the crashes at all. I cannot save or report the crash as the whole system freezes opting for Alt+Ctrl+Delete to end the task.

What I did was to build a couple of new scenes in DS4.5.0.137 and use old scenes, some made in DS3 and some in DS4. Most crashed out straight away when rendering..

Then I rolled back to DCS4.5.0.49 RC2 and every scene rendered without a hitch or crash at all…not once.

I used different lights in these test scenes and some had plain surfaces and some scenes with shaders applied, some had GEN4 and some Genesis.

Fresh OS install
Vista 32 Bit SR2 All updated
EDIT: Dual core 6600 @ 2.40 GHz
Graphics ATI (AMD) 5450 with the lastest Drivers
3.25 GB of Ram
Daz Studio installed outside Program Files
All C++ Redistributables up to date

The only thing I have not done yet in monitor the resources when rendering. That is my next step.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Facebook

Posted: 06 October 2012 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1825
Joined  2004-08-24

In any 32 bit system,.. the maximum amount of memory that can be accessed is 3 GB (gigabytes)

NOTE: Some of that memory will be used by your operating system, and any other additional applications you have running in the background , such as Anti-virus or systems checking software.

If you have a 32 bit operating system, with more than 3 GB of ram,...then some of that memory isn’t being used.

your AMD E-300 1.3 GHz Dual Core Processor is a 64 bit processor,.. but it’s intended for use in “notebooks” so,. (personally speaking), I would look at replacing that with a more powerful “desktop” processor.

you can upgrade your OS to a 64bit Operating System, which will be able to use all available RAM

If your motherboard is “maxed out” at 4GB,...that’s not a good sign, depending on the motherboard, you should have four memory slots, and each memory slot may currently only have a 1GB chip (cheapest solution for the retailer),.. they should be able to take 2GB or 4GB chips, depending on the motherboard.

If you have a program which uses a lot of RAM you can easily get to a situation where things will slow down, or halt because of memory issues.

64 bit hardware,.. 64 bit OS,.. and 64 bit software, will sort it

Sorry its not much help smile

Posted: 06 October 2012 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-04-17
JimmyC_2009 - 06 October 2012 05:25 AM
Angel1359 - 06 October 2012 05:06 AM

OK All

I cannot read the full error message, the image is too large, but it looks like a memory error.

We need to know what version of DS 4.5 you are using (Help > About DAZ Studio), 32 bit or 64 bit, and what are your system specs?

How much RAM do you have for example?  What is in the Scene, how many lights, and what type, hair, Shaders etc?

What does the log file say about the error, Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File ?

You could also keep an eye on the Task Manager to see how much memory the scene is using when you start to render.

OK JimmyC

I hope these visual examples will explain what is happening and I think I have provided all the info that you asked for…...
I recently upgraded to: version 4.5.0.114 Pro Edition using a 32 bit PC.

and here are the specs for my PC:

Image Attachments
DAZ3D_crashing3.jpg

Posted: 06 October 2012 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-04-17

JimmyC

here is the info you couldn’t see on the first image I posted, forgive the bad grammar on the screen print:

Image Attachments
DAZ3D_crashing1a.jpg

Posted: 06 October 2012 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-04-17

JimmyC

Here is what is happening when I try a render:

Image Attachments
DAZ3D_crashing1c.jpg

Posted: 06 October 2012 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7079
Joined  2005-08-15

I am no expert on this, but it looks like you are running out of memory.

What you could try is removing some of the lights from the scene, and see if it can render then (just as a test)?  There are a lot of lights in your scene.

DS 4.5 is a bit less accomodating than earlier versions were, and there are a lot of people having problems on 32 bit systems with renders.  I don;t know if it is the new version of 3Delight that it uses, or if DS 4.5 just needs more memory to work properly.

I don;t think that there is any easy fix, but hang on for a little while, some of our members here know a great deal about this and can help a lot more than I can.

1 of 2