Digital Art Zone

manual content control
Posted: 05 October 2012 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2006-05-09

I have, for example, the M4 character and all his poses, clothing, hair and texture presets all together in one folder structure so I know exactly where it’s at. Will I be able to keep such a manually created folder structure with the new version of DS?  I prefer full manual control of my content - logically organized, easy to find, and as simple as possible.

Signature 

An example is worth ten thousand words.

Posted: 05 October 2012 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  903
Joined  2009-12-07
max v nimos - 05 October 2012 04:59 PM

I have, for example, the M4 character and all his poses, clothing, hair and texture presets all together in one folder structure so I know exactly where it’s at. Will I be able to keep such a manually created folder structure with the new version of DS?  I prefer full manual control of my content - logically organized, easy to find, and as simple as possible.

Yes but you won’t be able to use product metadata and you’ll need to manually reorganize everytime you update a product (which happens more often than it should these days - I think DAZ is a bit swamped).

The recommended approach (which even some die-hard compulsive self-organizers have moved to) is to leave files & folders where they are and use categories to organize things any way you like. That allows you to benefit from the metadata, it insulates you from product updates and you can literally organize any way you like, even using multiple methods.

There are a couple of good tutorials on categorization (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/306/) and you can check the link in my sig if you ever get interested in metadata (which you might be, if you’re a compulsive organizer).

Cheers

Signature 

PoseMaster for DAZ Studio and PoseMaster People Pack now sold at Rendo.

Posted: 05 October 2012 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  949
Joined  2007-01-04

Manually organised content is how I’ve worked for several years now, and DS still caters for those of us that prefer to DIY rather than use a crappy database system, the Content Library tab show your listed DS directories as they appear on your drive as well as your listed Poser runtimes, it sadly also shows the DB system as well, but if you don’t use the CMS then you’ll never see that part smile.

Signature 

**shuffles of with a new headache** tongue wink

Posted: 05 October 2012 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3048
Joined  2004-04-14

My method of manual madness - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/2460/#32068

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 05 October 2012 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2006-05-09

I’m simply not comfortable with any piece of software auto-managing my content.  One crash or glitch could potentially screw up 10 years worth of organization.  Right now, if I install a V4 shirt, I just move it to the V4/clothing folder and everything is neat n simple.  Reminds me of auto-focus lenses:  My 35 year old manual-focus lens still works perfectly, while a bunch of newer auto-focus lenses have already failed.

Signature 

An example is worth ten thousand words.