Digital Art Zone

1 of 4
A rough road
Posted: 05 October 2012 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  675
Joined  2003-10-09

A rough road is a coarse course.

I realize that there are many non-native English speakers in this forum and I give them slack, but to keep them from getting confused and to keep my head from exploding I have to vent at native English speakers with bad habits.

I’ve seen the habitual misuse of “coarse” and “course” several times recently.  (*argh!!!*) 

The opening sentence above says it all.  “Coarse” means rough.  “Course” means a path of travel.

And if someone says “it’s all good” I’m going to try to jump through the wires and strangle them. 8-o

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…
But please, please, who the hell are you?  And why are you trampling my roses?

Posted: 05 October 2012 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1615
Joined  2012-01-04

Why of course it is.

Signature 

Old Post Count: Maybe 3 or 4.
O/S: Windows 7x64
D/S: 4.6.0.18

Posted: 05 October 2012 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  787
Joined  2005-09-19

Remember English speakers may still have dyslexia or similar issues, in fact there’s an increased likelihood of people with dyslexia being involved with graphics because of their enhanced ability to ‘think in 3D’.

“Course” means a path of travel.

Or to hunt: I’ll course the Course of Honour

Or a set of lessons: Of course the course is open to all

Posted: 05 October 2012 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  297
Joined  2005-09-30

I am a firm believer in commas.  It seems as when you have to learn English as a foreign language (as I did), you pay special attention to grammar and punctuations.  I am by no means perfect, but a correctly placed comma can sometimes help the reader to “get” the intended meaning of a sentence.

Posted: 05 October 2012 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2006-01-22

hmmmmm… smirk. “It’s all good”. cheese

I had to do it!!!! red face

tongue wink

Grtz Jean-Claude

Posted: 05 October 2012 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1824
Joined  2006-02-17

Of course you’ll have to forgive the students of the American public schools… they aren’t native English speakers either.  Their teachers usually can’t spell their way out of a paper sack, and most have grammar skills that leave much to be desired.  In many locales, the schools aren’t allowed to correct bad grammar/spelling as it will adversely affect the students’ self-esteem.

Kendall

PS
  Let’s not get into the iPhone’s tendency to change one’s text to what Apple thinks one is trying to say.  Then there’s the movement to allow txtspeak as a recognized form of grammar…

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 05 October 2012 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7486
Joined  2006-03-19
Kendall Sears - 05 October 2012 10:52 AM

Let’s not get into the iPhone’s tendency to change one’s text to what Apple thinks one is trying to say.  Then there’s the movement to allow txtspeak as a recognized form of grammar…

My wife is constantly cursing the phone because of this.

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Mad Chemistry Lab*****  

Posted: 05 October 2012 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15150
Joined  2003-10-09

And let’s not mention Firefox’s habit of wanting me to correct what it considers as incorrect spelling of some words, such as colour, catalogue, neighbour, etc etc.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 05 October 2012 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  224
Joined  2011-10-02

Ah, yes, Firefox loves American spelling and we Canadians (at least some of us) like to preserve our British heritage.  I relate!

Posted: 05 October 2012 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  224
Joined  2011-10-02

I do have some sympathy (if that’s the correct word)  as spelling is not drilled into kids in school the way it once was, and spell-check does not equal brain-check.  Language is a fluid thing though - compare today’s English to Chaucer’s time.  So perhaps (shudder) we’ll all be writing txtspeak in future.  Eeeww, what a horrible thought to start my day.

Posted: 05 October 2012 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  787
Joined  2005-09-19
Kendall Sears - 05 October 2012 10:52 AM

Then there’s the movement to allow txtspeak as a recognized form of grammar…

Knowst thou not languages evolve? wink

Posted: 05 October 2012 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-12-07

My pet peeve is “your” instead of “you’re”, as in “your late”. WAKE UP PEOPLE, ITS “YOU’RE NOT TALKING PROPERLY”!!!

Ugh.

Signature 

PoseMaster for DAZ Studio and PoseMaster People Pack now sold at Rendo.

Posted: 05 October 2012 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  297
Joined  2005-09-30

I hear politicians and even radio announcers using the incorrect verb tense after “have” or “had” - as in “He had broke the vase” - or after “is” as in “if it isn’t broke…”

Posted: 05 October 2012 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1824
Joined  2006-02-17
cridgit - 05 October 2012 11:33 AM

My pet peeve is “your” instead of “you’re”, as in “your late”. WAKE UP PEOPLE, ITS “YOU’RE NOT TALKING PROPERLY”!!!

Ugh.

Then again, contractions are not supposed to be used in written communications.  At least that is what used to be taught.  These days, I wonder at the excuses that are used as acceptable language.

As for the use of Middle, or Old English, I would welcome some of that.  Though I daresay many wouldst have one difficult meanest attempt at understanding the tenses used.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 05 October 2012 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13441
Joined  2003-10-09
chohole - 05 October 2012 10:57 AM

And let’s not mention Firefox’s habit of wanting me to correct what it considers as incorrect spelling of some words, such as colour, catalogue, neighbour, etc etc.

Firefox has a British dictionary, and I would think a Canadian one too.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 05 October 2012 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15150
Joined  2003-10-09

Ac ni fyddwn yn sôn am yr iaith hen iawn o Ynysoedd Prydain, sydd bellach yn ei ddefnyddio yn unig ar y cyrion.

Which translates as And we won’t mention the really old language from the British Isles, now only used on the fringes.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

1 of 4