Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
displacement not working in material editor.
Posted: 04 October 2012 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2005-01-29

I’m getting back into Bryce after several years. I downloaded 7.1.0.109 and find that the displacement function doesn’t work. What am I doing wrong?  Thanks in advance.

Posted: 05 October 2012 02:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2536
Joined  2004-07-06
davidb45 - 04 October 2012 10:17 PM

I’m getting back into Bryce after several years. I downloaded 7.1.0.109 and find that the displacement function doesn’t work. What am I doing wrong?  Thanks in advance.

I’m sorry to report that the displacement feature is buggy to the point of almost entirely unusable.  That being said, clever folks here on the forums have coaxed it into life, but… if you are getting back into Bryce, I would recommend not experimenting with displacement at this moment unless you are blessed with both patience and a very fast computer indeed.  Instead, you could consider some of the Bryce 7 specific tutorials to be found here http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials.html that Horo and I have provided.  My own latest batch here http://www.youtube.com/user/davidbrinnen/videos?flow=grid&view=0 (Also including contributions from Horo recently) and cater to a wide range of capabilities.  And or otherwise, if video tutorials do not suit you there are still plenty of written examples for older versions of Bryce to be found in the list http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials.html

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 05 October 2012 05:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3370
Joined  2004-10-01
davidb45 - 04 October 2012 10:17 PM

You started with just the thing that is tricky to make work. Forumites here have reported that you have to set the resolution of the wireframe low to be able to use displacement without crashing Bryce.

The other thing that might give you headache is instancing - though it can be made to work quite nicely. All the rest should give you mostly fun. Bryce is still a 32 bit application and as such has a 2 GB limit. Bryce does everything in memory and if that is used up, Bryce crashes. But if your computer sports at least 4 GB of memory, you can make Bryce large address aware with a free tool and then Bryce can use up to around 3.2 to 3.4 GB.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 05 October 2012 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  169
Joined  2009-05-04

From my own experiences with displacement I can only confirm what my previous speakers said, but… the only bryce object I never get troubled with displacement is the cube. I suggest you start with it.
I am afraid, I have to correct myself. Displacement seems to work better, when you are using a cube, but Bryce can crash as well.

Posted: 05 October 2012 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2005-01-29

“Forumites here have reported that you have to set the resolution of the wireframe low to be able to use displacement without crashing Bryce.”

Where do I reset the object wireframe resolution?
Thanks.

Posted: 05 October 2012 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  134
Joined  2003-10-09

Rubbish advice removed. See David’s post below for the correct info.

I do seem to be a bit out of touch with this modern Bryce you young people have created, LOL.

Posted: 06 October 2012 01:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2536
Joined  2004-07-06

True… but… OK, I reckon it was the other mesh it refers to, the micropolygon mesh not the wireframe mesh that displacement relates to.  This is adjusted here, but displacement has to be set in the material first before a value appears.  Then you have to get to the attributes and set the mesh size down before Bryce notices and crashes.  Then - just then - you might get it to work.

Image Attachments
Image1.jpg
 Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 06 October 2012 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2005-01-29

Thanks for the insight on this problem. I’m learning something.

I can’t get the Displacement button in the Material editor to do anything. I hoped to texture a rock and use displacement so the objects edge looks more realistic. Micropolygon mesh isn’t adjustable either for me.

Is the Displacement issue scheduled to be fixed?

Thanks.

Posted: 06 October 2012 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01
davidb45 - 06 October 2012 09:28 AM

Is the Displacement issue scheduled to be fixed?

Thanks.

Hopefully with the next development cycle.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 06 October 2012 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1379
Joined  2011-09-25

After reading these posts I became curious and decided to see if displacement would work on my computer without any adverse affects.  AKA, crashing Bryce.

The left sphere is a random texture with Displacement driven by Channel B.  The Micropolygon came up as .01.  The right sphere is the same texture, same Channel, but with Displacement set to 64.4 and Micropolygon set to .05.  I’d never done this before so was unsure of the results.  The left sphere has uses elsewhere.  The right sphere is rather interesting.

Image Attachments
Displacement_Test_1.png
 Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 07 October 2012 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2005-01-29

GussNemo,

Interesting. What version of Bryce are you using? None of the functions you mentioned work in mine.
Thanks.

Posted: 07 October 2012 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-25

@davidb:  I’m using Bryce 7.1 Pro, version 7.1.0.109.  The texture on both of those spheres was an Bryce texture with Displacement already set.  Even though a bead was holed for channel B the plunger could still be adjusted.

Can you explain in more detail what you mean by Displacement button?  Are you referring to the blue bead to the right of the word Displacement?  Or the object to the left of the word that looks like a press down button?  Just to the left of the word is a small window displaying numbers.  Are you able to left click on that window and highlight it?  If you can highlight that window you can make changes that way.

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.

Posted: 07 October 2012 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2005-01-29

GussNemo,

“Are you referring to the blue bead to the right of the word Displacement?”  I can’t move the blue bead to Texture A, for example.

“Or the object to the left of the word that looks like a press down button?”  The slider on the left side will not move.

“Just to the left of the word is a small window displaying numbers.  Are you able to left click on that window and highlight it?” Yes, and I can enter a numeric value but it resets to 0.

Very frustrating.

Posted: 08 October 2012 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-25

@davidb:  Look at the word Displacement.  Do the letters in that word have the same appearance as the letters in the rest of the words?  I ask because it sounds like Displacement has been disabled some how. I case you didn’t know, a disabled button looks flat, doesn’t have bold lettering or color like those buttons that are active.  It’s why I asked about comparing the word Displacement with the other words in the Material Lab.  If it has been disabled, then I’ve just reached the limit of what little information I have about this.

Signature 

Posted: 08 October 2012 02:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  926
Joined  2003-10-09
GussNemo - 06 October 2012 11:43 PM

The right sphere is rather interesting.

It would make a reasonably decent looking sea urchin if noting else. smile

Image Attachments
sea_urchin.png

Posted: 08 October 2012 02:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01
LordHardDriven - 08 October 2012 02:03 AM
GussNemo - 06 October 2012 11:43 PM

The right sphere is rather interesting.

It would make a reasonably decent looking sea urchin if noting else. smile

Looks quite nice!

Signature 

1 of 2