Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
What precautions are needed before upgrading 4.0 to 4.5?
Posted: 06 October 2012 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

Actually, most shaders can be recompiled, without the source, in the 10.x series of 3Delight.  Just find the sdl files and go to the command line…then run shaderdl.exe (it’s in the /Studio4/bin folder.  It will recompile the shaders against the current version of 3Delight.  It was a major feature of the 10.x series.

And Richard…those with the message that states may be a bit faster if they are recompiled. then the initial time from clicking Render until it actually starts rendering (the setup/optimizing) time, on my system decreased significantly, after I manually recompiled them.  Also remember that lights are shaders in ‘Renderman-world’, so the lights get it too…if needed.

But using the updated content pack, should eliminate the messages/need to do that for any of the included ones, including the Uber items…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 06 October 2012 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14008
Joined  2003-10-09

The DAZ shader creation tools add the needed lines for the sahder to recompile on the fly under 3DL 10.x, hence my earlier comment. And of course if you perform the recompile on the shader and save it that will give a faster start than having the recompile done on the fly - but the downloaded shaders needed to work in both DS4.0 and 4.5.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 06 October 2012 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2012-07-29
Richard Haseltine - 06 October 2012 01:17 PM

The DAZ shader creation tools add the needed lines for the sahder to recompile on the fly under 3DL 10.x, hence my earlier comment. And of course if you perform the recompile on the shader and save it that will give a faster start than having the recompile done on the fly - but the downloaded shaders needed to work in both DS4.0 and 4.5.

I have at the moment daz studio 4.5 pro 114 .with Genesis Starter Essentials 1.4 I’m also getting - It should be recompiled for better performance when using the pwSurface2 shaders

Also noticed slowness when loading materials, shaders and in render time

should I install the beta version , will this fix this problems ?

Posted: 06 October 2012 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

No, the shader would need an actual recompile to fix the issue - and then it wouldn’t work in 4.0. Though this should affect render speeds if anything, it shouldn’t have much if any impact on load times (since the thing that gets loaded is the script to populate the Surfaces pane, not the actual shader used by 3Delight).

Signature 

Posted: 06 October 2012 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2012-07-29

thank you for your answer, so could it be that the long loading time for skins got to do with the fact I moved all my items to d driver and not the regular c my documents path ?
I also removed the c path from the content directory manager

Posted: 07 October 2012 04:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I suppose that might be a factor, though if you removed the old path (and don’t have a long list of other paths above the one you are now using) that should really be an issue only if the drive itself was slower. If anything I’d expect a move to slightly speed the process as you have effectively defragmented the files.

Signature 

Posted: 28 December 2012 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2010-08-06

mjc1016, or anyone else.  Can you please elaborate on how to recompile.  I have tried drag and drop the sdl on the shaderdl, both of them, the one in daz, then the one in 3Delight.  I am still not getting them to work.  I’m trying to use the pwsurface2 shaders, or do these just plain not work in 4.5?

Posted: 28 December 2012 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
loserinc - 28 December 2012 06:04 PM

mjc1016, or anyone else.  Can you please elaborate on how to recompile.  I have tried drag and drop the sdl on the shaderdl, both of them, the one in daz, then the one in 3Delight.  I am still not getting them to work.  I’m trying to use the pwsurface2 shaders, or do these just plain not work in 4.5?

It’s a command line operation…open a command prompt and type in shaderdl.exe—recompile xxxxxx.sdl (in the folder where the sdl you want to recompile resides).

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 28 December 2012 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2010-08-06

It’s a command line operation…open a command prompt and type in shaderdl.exe—recompile xxxxxx.sdl (in the folder where the sdl you want to recompile resides).

I get an error:  shaderdl: cannot open ‘recompile’ pWsurface2.sdl <system error: No error>

Just in case I am missing something, I’m running Windows 7 64bit with Daz 4.5

Daz location is F:\Daz Studio, so the shader dl is in F:\Daz Studio\bin\shaderdl.exe

the shader sdl files are F:\Daz Studio\shaders\shadername.sdl

Posted: 29 December 2012 05:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7839
Joined  2009-05-14
loserinc - 28 December 2012 06:04 PM

I’m trying to use the pwsurface2 shaders, or do these just plain not work in 4.5?

Trust me recomling won’t make much difference besides Pwsurface works fine in DS4.5.1.6 what troubles are you having?

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 29 December 2012 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

How old is your pwSurface2 installer? The files needed updating to recompile properly so you may need to reset and reinstall.

Signature 

Posted: 30 December 2012 12:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2010-08-06

my version of the pwShaders2 is 1.2

I did get it working finally, although it cannot find the jpg files, but at least some of the basics work, and I got the uber spot and uber point to work as well.  I was just missing some parameters in the cmd line

Posted: 30 December 2012 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7839
Joined  2009-05-14

There are no jpg files included in pwSurfacet that I know of. For the texture related presets you need to own the original product

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 01 June 2013 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  151
Joined  2008-11-18

Is this something daz will fix one of these days or do we have to do it our self?
My system usually takes about 3 minutes to recompile this stuff before it starts rendering.
So when I’m setting something up and doing a dozen or so spot renders this really slows me down.
I cannot figure out how to recompile this myself.

2 of 2

[ HDRI flles      Daz 4.5 ]