Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
What precautions are needed before upgrading 4.0 to 4.5?
Posted: 03 October 2012 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2009-10-17

I’ve tried looking around the forums here, but haven’t found a topic thread specificly covering this.  I’ve downloaded and saved D\S 4.5 to my harddrive and am looking to upgrade.  However, I want to find out what I will need to do in preparation for the upgrade.

I have the 64-bit file stored seperately in a download sub-folder on my D drive.  I also have ALL my dounloaded figures/meshes/clothing/props/etc. in a series of download sub-folders, also on my D drive.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Posted: 03 October 2012 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8649
Joined  2007-11-06

1) Make sure you have the Genesis Starter Essentials downloaded as well—the default content is no longer included in the application installer.
2) Uninstall DAZ CMS before installing 4.5—it doesn’t get uninstalled automatically, and some things don’t work right if you have an older version of the CMS.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 03 October 2012 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7912
Joined  2009-05-14

I have learned as my cost to uninstall everything first now, Daz Studio, CMS amd plug-ins. I never had to do that with DS3 but now I find that to be the best approach.

Most of my issues have gone since I did that.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 04 October 2012 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-17
fixmypcmike - 03 October 2012 04:24 PM

1) Make sure you have the Genesis Starter Essentials downloaded as well—the default content is no longer included in the application installer.
2) Uninstall DAZ CMS before installing 4.5—it doesn’t get uninstalled automatically, and some things don’t work right if you have an older version of the CMS.

1) Yes, I just checked the folder and ‘14812_GenisisStartersEssentials_1.3_trx.exe’ is there.  I also read the PDF file, which says to load up D|S 4.5 then GSE.

2) Sounds like a good idea, but wouldn’t Szark’s plan of uninstalling D|S 4.0 completely be better?  (The only reason I’m NOT inclined to do that is that I have a few saved v4.2 ‘templates’ - although I could probably redo them very quickly.)

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions and help.  I’ve been lax the last little while in getting in and learning the system.  Been trying to save up enough to get a few needed items that I can’t get as freebies - or substitute by using freebie stuff.

(Which reminds me, know where I can find decent dirt road mats for a fronteir town setting?)

Posted: 04 October 2012 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2012-07-29
Szark - 03 October 2012 06:17 PM

I have learned as my cost to uninstall everything first now, Daz Studio, CMS amd plug-ins. I never had to do that with DS3 but now I find that to be the best approach.

Most of my issues have gone since I did that.

when you say everything what do you mean , do I need also to uninstall all the stuff from the store?

I noticed that when I don’t uninstall all the stuff from the store first and than re install them I keep getting this duplicate ID message every time I wanted to updated to the latest version and the plugin script on the forums that is offering to fix it didn’t solved my problem

so only going and uninstalling everything one by one and than re installing them again solved my problem…

is there any other way to do this ? like a plugin that can uninstall all the stuff at once and than re install them again all at once?

Posted: 04 October 2012 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

I never touch my content at all but I have updated all my Genesis content Updated Genesis Products List & Thing To Be Aware Of and so far I haven’t had the duplicate id issues.

Since using DS2 I have never had to worry about content uninstalling unless it is the Default Content..but now that is a separate install so the default content will get uninstalled with DS4 but as I said we have the default content in a separate install file to replace the uninstalled ones.

But any content you have bought, freebies etc should all remain intact.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 05 October 2012 06:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2012-07-29

thank you for your comment , will know it now for future updated versions .

Posted: 05 October 2012 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  366
Joined  2004-04-07
Ferrio67 - 04 October 2012 12:02 PM

1) Yes, I just checked the folder and ‘14812_GenisisStartersEssentials_1.3_trx.exe’ is there.  I also read the PDF file, which says to load up D|S 4.5 then GSE….

With Studio 4.5.0.137, I got GenisisStartersEssentials_1.4

Signature 

regards
prixat

Posted: 05 October 2012 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-17

When did you download your copy?  Did they update the zip file after 5 PM EDT Wednesday?  (Yes, I just checked, and that’s when I downloaded it from the site.)

Posted: 05 October 2012 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  366
Joined  2004-04-07

Whats the version number on your DS?

Instead of resetting a previous DS from my account history, I ordered a new ‘DS Pro Beta’ from the store, back on the 17th September.

(Its labeled BETA but it actually has some important fixes in it and has been completely stable on my win7 64bit 8GB machine.)

...and I took absolutely no special precautions, I let it detect and uninstall what it wanted and install where it wanted…

I think of it as extreme sport: base jumping, swimming with sharks, installing DS… cool smile

Signature 

regards
prixat

Posted: 05 October 2012 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2006-05-09

What’s all this about now? Do we need to delete all out Genesis stuff and re-download update Genesis stuff?

Signature 

An example is worth ten thousand words.

Posted: 05 October 2012 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14232
Joined  2003-10-09

No, though if you get Duplicate IDs when loading a piece of content you should try getting an update, or run my fix script and update at leisure. If you use the Shaping pane you will also want to update some of the older morphs as they won’t show on the shaping pane in 4.5 - but they will still be available through Parameters.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 05 October 2012 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

Also, all the included shaders, hopefully have been recompiled, because the update includes a 3Delight version update (from 10.5something to 10.62)...I know I was getting a bunch of recompile messages (this shader should be recompiled…) on shaders I’ve personally made.  Even ones I recompiled for 114.  Not having recompiled shaders could be one reason for some slowdowns seen with 137.  (I know that has been part of some of my slowness in 137…)

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 06 October 2012 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

Yeah noticing the recompling note a lot with Uber Products even the lights and pwSurface etc.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 06 October 2012 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14232
Joined  2003-10-09

There are two messages - one saying that the shader must be recompiled, one that it should be recompiled. The current commercial shaders should all give the latter at worst - they will work, though it’s possible that a recompiled version might be a bit faster. Shaders that weren’t created with the DS4 tools, and shaders (such as ahEnvironment) that haven’t been updated for DS4.x at all, will give the former and will, if you have the source, need recompiling.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 06 October 2012 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

Thanks Richard for the info.

Signature 

Pete