Digital Art Zone

3 of 18
WIP THREAD for October NEW USERS CONTEST
Posted: 06 October 2012 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7972
Joined  2006-03-19
I agree you really need some shadowing. He does look like he's walking on air, but your doing a really good job. You just have a few detail that need worked out.
 Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Ravenwood Cemetery*****  

Posted: 06 October 2012 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  998
Joined  2007-04-08
bluemoon - 05 October 2012 02:36 PM
BlumBlumShub - 04 October 2012 06:35 AM
I think Mr Demon is looking in disgust at his birthday present. Oh no, another pink dagger from grandma.

I would say if you want the dagger to be a focal point then set up a separate light for it and assuming the blade is silver, make the light fairly bright with a short focal length and a cone that just covers the blade. The rest of the lighting looks great. Dark and brooding.

Thanks for the feedback. At the moment I am not sure what I want the focal point of the render to be, I was just seeing if I could create a nice lighting effect using only one light in the scene.

Lighting is one of the things I'm trying to get to grips with because I used to fail massively with it. What I've learned is that sometimes you can create more atmosphere by using less lights, so yes, you've achieved a great deal with that pic.

I'm hoping it was obvious that my first comment about grandma's dagger was in good humour, but I realised after I posted it that a comment made in good humour could actually be quite painful, and that posting a WIP in here is a little like baring your soul.
 Signature 

You’re never too old for metaballs!  ~Michael Frank

Posted: 06 October 2012 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Well, I finally decided to get something done! My original idea was overwritten though while I was listening to the Queen II album! I was in my car singing along to March of the Black Queen very loudly and thinking I love that title, and the song, and that I'd like to base my image on that.

So far I've just done the main parts of the environment. I know there's no sky, but I can solve that.

Lighting is achieved so far using three very soft blue-grey distance lights and one brighter light to simulate the moon. Still needs work but I wanted to post something so that I'm then committed to finishing!

Next step is to populate the scene, and I'm REALLY looking forward to that, I've got some ideas.

Image Attachments
Oct2012nc1.png
 Signature 

Posted: 06 October 2012 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22
Good stuff folks, I'm on pins and needles waiting to see more of these.
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 06 October 2012 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-19
Night lighting is one of those that is hard to accomplish properly. I see a future contest idea stirring.
 Signature 

Posted: 06 October 2012 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  666
Joined  2010-02-25
I want to show this one.
Image Attachments
wolf1_bew.jpg
 Signature 

My renders on deviantART http://rendersas.deviantart.com/

Posted: 06 October 2012 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-19
Very nice sasje. I really like that
 Signature 

Posted: 06 October 2012 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  368
Joined  2012-09-27
Ooh, very nice stuff so far. smile

Posted: 06 October 2012 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Frank0314 - 06 October 2012 11:01 AM
Night lighting is one of those that is hard to accomplish properly. I see a future contest idea stirring.

Yeah, because of the lighting I've switched to full raytracing now and high shadow softness apart from the moon which has a lower softness. I have plans to make the lights make more sense to the viewer but I don;t want to go into detail in case I cock it up and end up giving someone ideas that will ultimately fail. Am enjoying this though.

{edit} - Killed the render with the new lighting before it finished. It was clear that the scene had transformed itself from a dusk setting to a middle of the afternoon setting, so once again I've played with my lighting, both position and strength, and am re-rendering. Was hoping to put a new WIP up here but it's midnight, my computer will turn into a pumpkin any second and I'm about to lose one of my slippers again. Hate when that happens.

G'night guys, I'm loving what I'm seeing here and glad to finally be a part of it.

And Sasje, that image is beautiful.
[ Edited: 06 October 2012 05:00 PM by BlumBlumShub ]
 Signature 

Posted: 07 October 2012 02:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2012-04-02
Sasje - 06 October 2012 03:08 PM
I want to show this one.

Looks good Sasje! Funny stuff

Posted: 07 October 2012 02:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2012-04-02
Changed my mind and brought the kid inside
Image Attachments
west_park.jpg

Posted: 07 October 2012 03:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
I like that one Bartman.

Ok, so, I put my Black Queen into my pic, still unhappy with the night-time lights but I do have ideas for solving that. Here's my latest addition to the entry, but still a long, long way to go.

Incidentally, this is without a doubt the longest I've spent on one picture. Normally I have to get everything done at once or I lose interest, and I've lost count of how many times that's happened, so I'm very pleased about that.

Image Attachments
Oct2012Newbie2.png
 Signature 

Posted: 07 October 2012 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8322
Joined  2009-05-14
BlumBlumShub - 03 October 2012 02:06 PM
For once, I've started a proper render already for this, rather than just saying it looks exciting and not bothering.

Hallowe'en is very much in my bag because I love doing Pagan styled images
Is it true I have found a fellow pagan..please tell me it's true. smile
 Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Facebook

Posted: 07 October 2012 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17049
Joined  2003-10-09
if it is make that 2. And not one of these so called "Neo-Pagans" either.

Back on topic, We are getting some really good starts here, fun to watch them progress. cool smirk
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 07 October 2012 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  175
Joined  2012-08-07
Have a lot to do with this one, not happy with those really dark shadows and would like to make the background darker.

It has just gone midnight here and I think I should get some sleep and have another look tomorrow. I want to post the first one in a different thread (when I finish it) so I started this one for this thread.

Also I would like to make the vampires body to glow a bit, tried it with the ambient channel but it didn't look convincing.
Image Attachments
H02.jpg

3 of 18