16 of 18
WIP THREAD for October NEW USERS CONTEST
Posted: 22 October 2012 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 226 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22
Scott-Livingston - 22 October 2012 04:10 AM
Bartman23: I think I like the third option the best of these. The others are well-done but seem a little too busy to me.

Here's where I am so far with mine. Still lots of work to be done with angle/composition, lighting, posing, etc...but I'm pretty happy with how the characters look. Hopefully the joke comes across.
Do not forget to Shade the King in the proper colors. I get it RWK all you need is a crystal. wink
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 22 October 2012 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 227 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2012-04-02
Bartman23: I think I like the third option the best of these. The others are well-done but seem a little too busy to me.

Here's where I am so far with mine. Still lots of work to be done with angle/composition, lighting, posing, etc...but I'm pretty happy with how the characters look. Hopefully the joke comes across.

Thanks for the feedback - I love simplicity too.

Nice setup you have - regarding the joke I'm afraid I don't get it - unless the character on the right is Ronald McDonald? smile

Posted: 22 October 2012 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 228 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8320
Joined  2009-05-14
dune411412 - 17 October 2012 02:36 PM
i went in a diffrent direction why do we have to go scary
halloween is not only the night for ghost, goblins and walking skeleton, but also the night where 100 year old witchs go to renew them selfs.
i would like to know what you think
Much better, a great improvement. Are you happy with it? What do you think could be better?

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Facebook

Posted: 22 October 2012 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 229 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3802
Joined  2012-02-06
Jaderail - 22 October 2012 04:41 AM

Do not forget to Shade the King in the proper colors. I get it RWK all you need is a crystal. wink

Yeah, you got it. I had to Google it but I know what you mean about the crystal (in my part of the country, the equivalent would probably be something like this: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/fantasy-castle-2011-glimmering-tales)
 Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 22 October 2012 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 230 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  675
Joined  2012-02-06
I'm not sure is this will qualify but it does have a ghost, of sorts.

Inspired not just by the Phantom of the Opera but specifically Susan Kay's Phantom, which added depth to the triangle between Erik, Christine and Raoul. Even after he died, Erik presence still lingered (in more ways than one).

Made use of Jaderail's tut for DOF which I applied to the background. The second version has a Bleach bypass filter is applied to Christine and Raoul.

Comments, input and suggestion most welcome cheese

Image Attachments
Unhappily-Ever-After-2.pngUnhappily-Ever-After-1.png
 Signature 

LuxCompagno at deviantart

Posted: 22 October 2012 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 231 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06
Very cool, banditcameraman! I love that story and this is a nice take on it. I do prefer the unbleached version, I think because the other reduces the visual contrast between the (presumably?) living characters and the Phantom.
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 22 October 2012 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 232 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-06
Thank you so much, Scott cheese Call me Jaime LOL

And you're right about differentiating between the living Christine and Raoul and Erik's memory/shade/spirit. Great call LOL

Have you read Susan Kay's Phantom? It was out of print for a long time and reissued for the movie version of Phantom of the Opera. This is actually the first of a 2 part "series"; the next will be Les Mis. Can't wait for the movie cheese
 Signature 

Posted: 22 October 2012 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 233 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2012-03-27
banditcameraman - 22 October 2012 09:01 AM
I'm not sure is this will qualify but it does have a ghost, of sorts.

Inspired not just by the Phantom of the Opera but specifically Susan Kay's Phantom, which added depth to the triangle between Erik, Christine and Raoul. Even after he died, Erik presence still lingered (in more ways than one).

Made use of Jaderail's tut for DOF which I applied to the background. The second version has a Bleach bypass filter is applied to Christine and Raoul.

Comments, input and suggestion most welcome cheese

The urge to sing the musical lol

Good work on the phantom's ghost but for some reason he reminds me of character from a game; can't remember which one. Poses are good, DOF works as well, but as does the light. It's good but maybe you could try to make it as if its night and see it that works.
 Signature 

In case you have some free time come see what’s displayed My deviantart gallerysmile
AD
“)

http://www.daz3d.com/media/3d/badges/images/badges/badge_10.png

Posted: 22 October 2012 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 234 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-06
Thanks for the suggestion, Ilena cheese

I looked Scott and you up and y'all do great work cool smile Thanks for taking the time out to comment grin

Made it a night scene and while I'll obviously need to work on it some more; I'll do it when the sun's up because it's 3.00am on this side of the world tongue wink Did a low-key and a high-key version.

Thoughts?
Image Attachments
Unhappily-Ever-After-high-key.pngUnhappily-Ever-After-low-key.png
 Signature 

Posted: 22 October 2012 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 235 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2012-03-27
banditcameraman - 22 October 2012 01:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Ilena cheese

I looked Scott and you up and y'all do great work cool smile Thanks for taking the time out to comment grin

Made it a night scene and while I'll obviously need to work on it some more; I'll do it when the sun's up because it's 3.00am on this side of the world tongue wink Did a low-key and a high-key version.

Thoughts?

No problem at all. Now that's good. I'd say the first version low-key looks better.:smile:. There is balance there that there isn't it the high key. There Christine and Erik are in focus whereas Raul is left in the dark. And that's one good looking model.
 Signature 

In case you have some free time come see what’s displayed My deviantart gallerysmile
AD
“)

http://www.daz3d.com/media/3d/badges/images/badges/badge_10.png

Posted: 22 October 2012 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 236 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-12-15
looking to enhance this piece, any suggestions? I was going to what's for dinner, possibly either this or the camera man holding some brain matter to the zombie?

It's M4 in zombie texture, and environment is from the Park West series, cleaver is from hollywood FX

built the animated in Poser taken into Cinema 4D for lighting and rendering, photoshop touch up and After Effects for stylizing and environmental smoke effects.

Image Attachments
whats4dinner.jpg

Posted: 23 October 2012 12:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 237 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-06
Ilena52 - 22 October 2012 04:56 PM
No problem at all. Now that's good. I'd say the first version low-key looks better.:smile:. There is balance there that there isn't it the high key. There Christine and Erik are in focus whereas Raul is left in the dark. And that's one good looking model.

Thank you so much, Ilena cheese

I fixed Raoul's arm, which caused a bump in the fur trim of the pelisse. Also addressed the bits of his hair which were a carryover from the png layering but noticed when I removed it in other parts the image started to look flatter. In a bit of serendipity the very thin outline acts as a "kicker" for Christine and Raoul and I'm not complaining LOL

Posting the render in competition regulation size to see if it will pass muster under those requirements.

Observation: the "kicker" looks aliased shut eye

On another note the shape and skin of Raoul come from a Phantom/Christine set I bought on another site; that's what an unscarred Erik looks like as opposed to the Lon Chaney inspired Phantom I'm using for Erik's shade (Not sure if it's okay to mention that here red face)

Addendum: Brought up Erik's transparency to 20%

[ Edited: 23 October 2012 12:41 AM by banditcameraman ]
Image Attachments
Unhappily-Ever-After-final-corrected-Erik-20%_small.pngUnhappily-Ever-After-final-corrected.png
 Signature 

Posted: 23 October 2012 03:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 238 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-06

I love this LOL

"Do you want fright with that?" tongue wink LOL
 Signature 

Posted: 23 October 2012 07:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 239 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06
Thanks! Can I steal that line? I was trying to think of a good pun to use as a title, and that's perfect!

I think your latest render is my favorite version so far...it's coming along really well!
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 23 October 2012 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 240 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-06
You're very welcome and thank you too, Scott cheese

Of course you can; that's why I posted it LOL Can't wait to see how your entry turns out grin

My subscription to this thread seems to be acting up or I would have responded sooner shut eye
 Signature 

16 of 18