Digital Art Zone

8 of 18
WIP THREAD for October NEW USERS CONTEST
Posted: 09 October 2012 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2012-08-07
bartman23 - 09 October 2012 11:43 AM
I'm very proud to present you my wip. I had never in my life thought that I would come up with something like this.

Yes I'm more than happy with the outcome, and in the end that is what counts.

Will play around later on with pwGhost from sale - but I think I'm done cause my beloved imac with only 2GB is already working very very hard.

Daz 4.5 - No postwork done.

Cheers!

That's really awesome bartman23

Posted: 09 October 2012 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22
Okay first let me say this, Some great work going on here. Very good stuff so far. I'm really Impressed.

Now let me say this as well, I never said postwork was a bad thing. Some things can only be done with postwork and I do postwork some of my images just for that very reason. What I was trying to get across was that many things can be done with just DS and I think it would benefit all users to learn as much about the program as possible. If a person never tries to do something in the render and always does it in postwork they are missing out on the usefulness of the program. They might never bother to learn what can be done, that was what I was trying to say.

Now just for fun one of my Creepy images.
Title: Something Wicked....
Image Attachments
!Horror.png
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 09 October 2012 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  425
Joined  2012-08-14
Jaderail - 09 October 2012 01:36 PM
Okay first let me say this, Some great work going on here. Very good stuff so far. I'm really Impressed.

Now let me say this as well, I never said postwork was a bad thing. Some things can only be done with postwork and I do postwork some of my images just for that very reason. What I was trying to get across was that many things can be done with just DS and I think it would benefit all users to learn as much about the program as possible. If a person never tries to do something in the render and always does it in postwork they are missing out on the usefulness of the program. They might never bother to learn what can be done, that was what I was trying to say.

Now just for fun one of my Creepy images.
Title: Something Wicked....

Nice...or should I respond with -- "By the pricky of my thumbs...."
And I agree Jaderail. There is so much to learn on this program. I tend to get frustrated when I can't figure it out easily but then, I consider myself a newbie with the program (two months is not a long time in my book).

BTW -- here is the latest tweaks on my WIP -- not sure of the title yet. I changed the angle of the camera, working with the f-stop & POF (that we worked on back in Sept), added some fog and shrubery. Still not super happy with the lighting but it is still a WIP
Image Attachments
Halloween_WIP_2.jpg
 Signature 

Brotherlobo aka A.E. McCullough
Self-published Author and Hobbyist Designer

Checkout my website @ http://www.aemccullough.com
or on Amazon @ A.E. McCullough on Amazon
or ‘like’ me on Facebook @ A.E. McCullough on Facebook
or on deviantArt @  Brotherlobo @ deviantArt

Posted: 09 October 2012 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 109 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8021
Joined  2009-05-14
Jaderail - 09 October 2012 01:36 PM

They might never bother to learn what can be done, that was what I was trying to say.

and I 100% agreed with you Jad and never took it to be anything else. raspberry
 Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 09 October 2012 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 110 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
aemccullough - 09 October 2012 02:52 PM
BTW -- here is the latest tweaks on my WIP -- not sure of the title yet. I changed the angle of the camera, working with the f-stop & POF (that we worked on back in Sept), added some fog and shrubery. Still not super happy with the lighting but it is still a WIP
That is looking pretty darn good, This is an example where Postwork will help. The moon could be brightened up for that glow in the fog effect it would have and the archers bow could be toned down to blend better with the over all render.

Szark - 09 October 2012 03:03 PM
and I 100% agreed with you Jad and never took it to be anything else. raspberry
You are correct kind sir. I just felt a tad bit of clear the air was needed. wink
[ Edited: 09 October 2012 03:10 PM by Jaderail ]
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 09 October 2012 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 111 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-08-07
Not sure about this one, love the outfit but is it halloeweeny?

Have to add a few more props and work on the surfaces (done half) as they are all set up for Poser.

Image Attachments
wip01.jpg

Posted: 09 October 2012 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 112 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
bluemoon - 09 October 2012 04:00 PM
Not sure about this one, love the outfit but is it halloeweeny?

Have to add a few more props and work on the surfaces (done half) as they are all set up for Poser.

Looks good to me, Need more Spooky? Add a skull to the top of the alter.
 Signature 

Posted: 09 October 2012 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 113 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-08-07
Maybe skulls as candle holders, will have to hunt for some as I don't have any skulls.

Posted: 09 October 2012 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 114 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2011-09-27
bluemoon, jaderail and kickair 8p
thanks for all the info i just loaded daz pro 4.5 a short time ago and im still looking around you all gave me alot to look for, i see i have alot of work to do and im happy that i have till the end of the month to get this done, all in all wip is a great place to make your bones, lol (learn)

thanks
 Signature 

http://www.daz3d.com/media/3d/badges/images/badges/badge_03.png

Posted: 09 October 2012 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 115 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  220
Joined  2012-03-27
New update version and the one with postwork in cs5. Might have overdid a bit with it though. Thoughts?
Image Attachments
come_with_us_portal_awaits.jpg
 Signature 

In case you have some free time come see what’s displayed My deviantart gallerysmile
AD
“)

http://www.daz3d.com/media/3d/badges/images/badges/badge_10.png

Posted: 10 October 2012 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 116 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1014
Joined  2007-04-08
Jaderail - 08 October 2012 09:11 PM
With a little work you can get great renders right from DS. No postwork needed, DS4.5 comes with some great tools (Uber Evro, Point Lights, Base Shaders) all when you install it. Then you have the Surfaces tab to play with as well. Lighting (even just two Distant Lights setup well) and the Surfaces Tab with a good camera angle and image composition (flow of the eye, rule of thirds or another one of the many rules) can really do great things to what starts as a simple everyday render.

I really think more users should learn the full capabilities of the program before they jump into the Postwork to fix it frame of mind. If you can visit my DA page and look at my stuff, WARNING 18+ for part of it (in my sig) you can get a idea what DS can do all by itself. 99% of my renders are done WITHOUT postwork. I'm not even good, but I have done some good renders with just DS.

This is the end of the I Love DS and what it can do commercial.

P.S. I also love all the WIP's so far, with postwork, without I don't care. This is a great thread this month.

I think this is an important statement. Postwork is ok for some things, but if you can do it naturally within your original software you'll get the effect you want, and easier.

Knowing your software is, without a doubt, all about comfort zones. I know Photoshop a lot better than I know any 3D application, and I know I can add a shadow here and there by making a grey area, blurring it, adding a mask, blah blah blah and it might look just fine, but it takes just as long to create a light and move it somewhere. Once you've learned the kind of effect you want and the settings on the light to achieve that, then you'll be in a brand new comfort zone.

I used to think Daz was a simple product. It can't model, it doesn't have particles to worry about, doesn't do landscaping, doesn't do this or that... How wrong can you be? Very complex software, and out of nearly everyone's comfort zone! But worth the effort of learning.
 Signature 

You’re never too old for metaballs!  ~Michael Frank

Posted: 10 October 2012 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 117 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2012-04-02
If you take the same setup and render them once with Deep Shadow and one with Raytracing you obviously get different tonal images.

But what if something I like in the Deep Shadow render is almost gone in the Raytraced one? Is there a way to 'compensate' that difference so the Raytraced render with deeper colours has kept enough detail in the mids like the DSM version. I hope this makes sense, english is not my native tongue and how do you explain something like this?

see pics below and especially her right shoulder to her right arm you can see a glow refelection from the floor which is gone and I want that in the raytraced version too without altering it... the first one is Deep Shadow, second is Raytraced

thank you
Image Attachments
A_WP800_DSM.jpgA_WP800_raytraced.jpg

Posted: 10 October 2012 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 118 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  220
Joined  2012-03-27
Another version of the image before.
Image Attachments
detalji_i_puno_njihn2.jpg
 Signature 

In case you have some free time come see what’s displayed My deviantart gallerysmile
AD
“)

http://www.daz3d.com/media/3d/badges/images/badges/badge_10.png

Posted: 10 October 2012 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 119 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-27
im am trying this again i hope it is better i would like your input
[ Edited: 10 October 2012 07:35 PM by dune411412 ]
Image Attachments
halloween_wish_to_be_young.png
 Signature 

Posted: 10 October 2012 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 120 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-27
and as you can see it is still comming out soft, i rendered this in png i have no idea what do to next
 Signature 

8 of 18