Digital Art Zone

2 of 8
Buy Something That Doesn’t Work in Carrara? Post your Questions and Workarounds here. (please)
Posted: 03 October 2012 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7498
Joined  2009-07-13

just use the image in the background and an infinite plane with a shadowcatch shader, you can replicate shadowcatch shaded grass mesh on it too for added coolness, I use Howie Farkes stoney creek grass tufts but any inc Lisa botanicals grass would do.
video using it

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 04 October 2012 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  198
Joined  2005-08-31

Thanks everyone for the information. I usually check to see if clothes are dynamic. I guess I missed it this time. I am able to get some static poses that look pretty good though.

Posted: 04 October 2012 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  959
Joined  2006-06-12
BrianP21361 - 04 October 2012 02:55 PM

Thanks everyone for the information. I usually check to see if clothes are dynamic. I guess I missed it this time. I am able to get some static poses that look pretty good though.

You might be able to tease a tiny bit more usability out of that item by turning off any body part covered by the dress.

Signature 

There is a serious tendency toward capitalism among the well-to-do peasants.
Mao Tse-Tung

Posted: 04 October 2012 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2009-06-30

I just purchased the M4 Beard & I use Carrara 8.1.1.12.  Many of the pose/MATs for the color/style of the beard do not work.  Each color has a different file for each type of beard (eg, Goatee, moustache, several combos, etc.  When rendered some will lack the color &/or still have the default full beard/mustache.  Also, the beard looks totally fake in any pose/color.  It looks like some plastic mold over parts of the lower face.  In these test renders I am only using the default light (& camera)

Does anyone have any workarounds or suggestions?  Is there a later version I need to download, or would the current beta build help?

I am trying to decide if I should return the model, while I have time, so if it’s likely to be a lost cause, don’t hesitate to say so

Finally, if I cannot get M4 Beard to look better, would the Gen 2 or 3 beard look better, if I can get it to work with M4?.

Posted: 04 October 2012 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  198
Joined  2005-08-31
tsarist - 04 October 2012 06:58 PM
BrianP21361 - 04 October 2012 02:55 PM

You might be able to tease a tiny bit more usability out of that item by turning off any body part covered by the dress.

Thanks tsarist. I’ll give that a try. Carefully posed it does render well though. (Feet need some work.)

Image Attachments
Wedding_Couple_Small.png

Posted: 04 October 2012 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2008-01-28
LadyZRissa - 04 October 2012 07:29 PM

I just purchased the M4 Beard & I use Carrara 8.1.1.12.  Many of the pose/MATs for the color/style of the beard do not work.  Each color has a different file for each type of beard (eg, Goatee, moustache, several combos, etc.  When rendered some will lack the color &/or still have the default full beard/mustache.  Also, the beard looks totally fake in any pose/color.  It looks like some plastic mold over parts of the lower face.  In these test renders I am only using the default light (& camera)

Does anyone have any workarounds or suggestions?  Is there a later version I need to download, or would the current beta build help?

I am trying to decide if I should return the model, while I have time, so if it’s likely to be a lost cause, don’t hesitate to say so

Finally, if I cannot get M4 Beard to look better, would the Gen 2 or 3 beard look better, if I can get it to work with M4?.

Hello , yes it’s a nuisance.

If it’s the product I think it is:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/beard-for-michael-4

I have been using it with M4 beard plus and these are the steps you need to do with that….

You need to select the model/ beard and go into the shader room.
Look for the alpha maps in each part of the beard.

The alpha maps have a texture map somewhere in the alpha map hierachy.
Drag it to the top of the alphamap section.

While you are in the texture room get rid of the value in the highlight section.

Also fiddle with the bumpmap to increase it (Ican’t remember if their is a texture map in the bumpmap)
If there is no bumpmap copy the texture map in the coloursection and paste it into the bumpmap section.

this is from memory but it should fix the problem.

cheers from oz smile

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 04 October 2012 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

I do Headwax’s steps with lots of hair in particular.
turning off highlight in clothes usually needed too.
hairs often load without their alpha maps oddly.
if you mouse over the diffuse, it willl tell you which directory it is in
usually content, runtime,textures,creator’s name.

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 04 October 2012 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

I would kill for a plugin to turn off the highlight on every shader in the scene!!!
or make it default to none.
common issue also with imports esp fbx and those load with layers lists which are even harder to navigate through finding highlight channels.
all my iClone figures come in looking like plastic dolls.
and don’t ask me about adjusting the highlight on EVERY plant, rock, stone etc in Stonemason’s enchanted forest!!!

Signature 

my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 04 October 2012 11:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28

yes that is a nightmare!!

Wendy, I hope and pray that Fenrick - God BLESS YOU FENRICK - is working on a plugin to do just that.

I hope you can select a hierachy and change a particular parameter in every shader.

You know, even if the highlight value is set to the colour Black, you still get a highlight - isn’t that awesome smile

Signature 

Posted: 05 October 2012 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2005-10-08

Thanks Stezza!
I have been looking for a fix for a long time.
It works in 8.1Pro.

Stezza - 03 October 2012 09:29 PM

I could never get 3DU Toon Santa to work in 8.1 or earlier but so far in 8.5 it is working with this simple workaround.. This didn’t work for me in all previous public releases so something has changed in the 8.5B

When loaded Santa is missing several objects..

1. his pom pom

2. his glasses

3. his belt buckle

4. the fringe of his coat.

Select each item and then Animation—-> Set IK & Constraints then untick Change the IK setting.

Signature 

Art is not what you see, but what you make others see. ~ Edgar Degas 

My Daz gallery

Posted: 05 October 2012 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2009-06-30

Yes, that is the product.  I’ll give those suggestions a try this weekend.  Thank you. 

head wax - 04 October 2012 08:39 PM
LadyZRissa - 04 October 2012 07:29 PM

Hello , yes it’s a nuisance.

If it’s the product I think it is:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/beard-for-michael-4

I have been using it with M4 beard plus and these are the steps you need to do with that….

You need to select the model/ beard and go into the shader room.
Look for the alpha maps in each part of the beard.

The alpha maps have a texture map somewhere in the alpha map hierachy.
Drag it to the top of the alphamap section.

While you are in the texture room get rid of the value in the highlight section.

Also fiddle with the bumpmap to increase it (Ican’t remember if their is a texture map in the bumpmap)
If there is no bumpmap copy the texture map in the coloursection and paste it into the bumpmap section.

this is from memory but it should fix the problem.

cheers from oz smile

Posted: 05 October 2012 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28

No problem, good luck. Pity Daz doesn’t give these things to a Carrara user to try first before they sell them.
That way they coud post the work arounds and save a lot of us a lot of frustration….

Happy customers buy more stuff - it induces pheremenonenonenoneses - err those pleaure things we have in our brains

Signature 

Posted: 05 October 2012 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

therearenonenonenonsences?

Signature 

my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 06 October 2012 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  306
Joined  2006-08-21
head wax - 05 October 2012 08:01 PM

Happy customers buy more stuff - it induces pheremenonenonenoneses - err those pleaure things we have in our brains

I really enjoy those pleasure things in my brain.cheese

Signature 

CG and Me

Posted: 06 October 2012 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28

Hehe, heh, yes, ahh the joy of getting stuff that I don’t need with money that I don’t have.
The beauty of virtual toys is that they fit nicely in the virtual garage.

Signature 

2 of 8