Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Genesis content management in Carrara
Posted: 02 October 2012 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  0

Ok… Curiosity here regarding installing Genesis content for use in Carrara…

Just trying out Carrara 8.5 (have bought 8.x pro) for the Genesis support.

Now, normally, right up to prior Genesis, i’ve had my numerous runtimes setup as:
V4 Characters
V4 Clothing
V4 Sc-Fi Clothing
M4 Characters
M4 Clothing
M4 Sci-fi Clothing
V3 Characters
V3 Clothing
V3 Sci-Fi Clothing
Sci-Fi
Vehicles
Buildings and Sets

etc…

Having done it that way for a few years, keeping my runtimes organized so they’re not a single runtime 100 realworld miles long.

Now, how is that going to work for Genesis ?

Genesis as a catch-all folder now?

or can there be multiple Genesis folders ie:
Genesis Characters
Genesis Clothes
Genesis Sci-Fi Cloths
etc… ???

I have DS 4.5 installed, and can play with the default Genesis figure and DS content provided in Carrara, Though now I bought some Genesis clothing and was curious about which direction to proceed. ( i don’t want to end up at some point farther down the road and having to redo this a few times).

For what it’s worth, Genesis is quite fun to play with in Carrara. Been putting off trying it until now.

Thanks.

Posted: 02 October 2012 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8772
Joined  2007-11-06

It’s best to keep the Genesis characters/morphs in the same runtime, as all the data files need to be in the same place.  Clothing, etc can be kept separate.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 02 October 2012 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  0

Thanks for the very quick reply fixmypcmike smile

Ok, done that…. Made a “Genesis Clothes” folder, installed the clothing set in there…

Hmmmm ok…

So next step…  lets see if this goes as I think it will…

- Fire up Daz Studio… Check.
- DS detected a new content folder- Genesis Clothes, as Native content type
- DS Content Database updated itself for a few moments
- Fired up Carrara
- ran “Update Folder” on each in the Smart Content Tab:
—Files
—Categories
—Products

Ok… so the new installed clothing is there.

Really interesting though - everything still falls into place under each of the 3 types of content listings be it Files, Categories, Products.

Guess this is going to take some getting used to. Also interesting to know, that any of the DS metadata files for other existing products, i could probably install to the said proper folders and DS will pick them up too and list them via the smart content tab within Carrara….

Yeah, this whole Smart Content thing is gonna take me a while to get familiar with it. Will be interesting to having to find said product under one of the 3 listings instead of jumping to where I’d normally think and associate items by theme, as I have my regular runtimes as…

Posted: 03 October 2012 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

The concept of having “Smart” content is that you Can have all the stuff in any order,. in any location , but in the program , if you select an item , then the data base will show you items or textures which will work with the selected item, rather than the user searching endlessly in the wrong runtime folder structure.

It’s about making things easy for people who haven’t used it before, and know (and care) nothing about established runtime folder setups or user customised runtime folders “sock drawers”

The database, and product meta-data, should allow you to select a Figure, and should present you with a range of clothing which fit’s that figure.
if you select an item of clothing, the program should present you with options applicable to that clothing item.

rather than the user trying to remember which customised runtime folder the item is contained in.

Hope that makes sense smile

Posted: 03 October 2012 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  0

Thanks 3DAGE!  Yeah, that does make alot of sense, perfect sense actually.

While having been using Carrara for a few years, and used to having making my own sets of runtimes out of necessity, the Genesis stuff and concept is quite new to me.

Posted: 04 October 2012 04:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-24

It’s still new to everyone smile ,.. we’re all in the same position of learning what it does , and the genesis product and DS software are both still evolving, and improving,.

For me,.. The best part’s of genesis , are the Auto-fitting, which allows clothing made for older figures to work on genesis, plus the really nice morphing an posing abilities with the new mesh rig.

smile

Posted: 04 October 2012 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

Well you’ll know my cure for this issue wink

Posted: 06 October 2012 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  0
3DAGE - 04 October 2012 04:57 AM

It’s still new to everyone smile ,.. we’re all in the same position of learning what it does , and the genesis product and DS software are both still evolving, and improving,.

For me,.. The best part’s of genesis , are the Auto-fitting, which allows clothing made for older figures to work on genesis, plus the really nice morphing an posing abilities with the new mesh rig.

smile

Yup, and its in a league all of its own. No more gender specific clothing (for the most part). I’ve been awaiting to be able to use all my Gen4 clothing. Gen3 clothing usage support would be great too, really open up that library usable content. As we know, with a bit of creative use of making our own procedural shaders, alot of that content is easily made anew.

Content organization structure is predefined too, will be interesting to see how that all looks further down the road once our libraries start accumulating alot more content. and some of those categories start reaching miles in length (partially why having separate organized runtimes helped alot with the pre-genesis generations) . Miles long linear lists just arn’t fun to scroll through to find something.

Would be nice when the time comes, somebody comes out with a handy content database type editor app, allowing people to add / make some customizable categories. especially given how Carrara gives you 3 modes of finding your Genesis content.

Just running Carrara right now on a small netbook, 2gb ram, win7 32bit, Intel Atom N2800 1.8ghz dual core w/ hyper threading (4 threads) processor. Can’t render very much or put too much into a scene, but still alot of fun playing with the Genesis stuff, even with just the basic DS content kit and a few store items from the P.A sale.

Posted: 06 October 2012 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  417
Joined  2008-07-18

Hey Mordachai -

I’ve used Categories extensively in trying to grapple with my unwieldy DAZ runtime - and those Categories do show up in Carrara 8.5 beta for me.  If I go under the Smart Content tab all the way to the right, down below I’m given 3 options:
Files, Categories, and Products, and inside Categories are all the categories I set up in DAZ. 

Not sure if that’s what you’re looking for, but it’s made a big usability difference for me with finding stuff in Carrara.

Posted: 16 October 2012 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  0
Mosk the Scribe - 06 October 2012 09:51 PM

Hey Mordachai -

I’ve used Categories extensively in trying to grapple with my unwieldy DAZ runtime - and those Categories do show up in Carrara 8.5 beta for me.  If I go under the Smart Content tab all the way to the right, down below I’m given 3 options:
Files, Categories, and Products, and inside Categories are all the categories I set up in DAZ. 

Not sure if that’s what you’re looking for, but it’s made a big usability difference for me with finding stuff in Carrara.

Hmmmm

Its not showing up for me now - i mean, the new content ive bought the other day ... 

I`ve got a Genesis folder i made for all characters packs stuff like Steph 5, Evolution Morphs etc. Those show up just fine in both Carrara and Daz Studio in the Actor and Parameter tabs.

In Daz Studio - for the Content Directory Manager I have:

- Users Mohandai Documents Daz 3d Library My Library
- ProgramData daz3d Daz 3d My Daz Library
- runtime2 Genesis
- runtime2 Genesis Scifi Clothing

Now, all the Character stuff I installed , pointing to the Custom Folder in the installer, stuff like Steph5, Evolution Morphs, etc I pointed to the Genesis folder.

All the new clothing sofar, i`ve been pointing the installer to Genesis Scifi Clothing.

None of that installed clothing shows up in Daz Studio`s Smart Content left window pane, nor does it show up within Carrara`s Smart Content tab (within the 3 database views)

The clothing however does show up in Daz Studio via the older right side window Content Library tab, aka the legacy Studio 3.x and older content viewer system. Likewise, I can get the Genesis Scifi Clothing to show up in Carrara if i goto the Content Tab - Add Folder - Content, and thus, below my regular poser runtimes, the Genesis Sci-fi Clothing shows up there, and navigate it like I would in Daz Studio`s Content Library view…

Anyone else come across this….

Main concern here is on my main render rig which is down right now, ive got windows on its own partition, and my runetimes on another partition entirely. on this netbook im using right now, it doesnt matter as i only have the 1 hd, 1 partition (vs rig - several hds and several partitions)

Guess im still confused as to how this Smart Content and Genesis content stuff should be handled… And now theres the Poser DSON version of the content now too…. argh….  trx and legacy for installers…

Posted: 16 October 2012 01:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1393
Joined  2008-01-01

Has anyone else installed the DSON importer for Poser?  It doubled-up the icons in the smart content in both Carrara and DS, one each of .duf and .cr2.  The .cr2 won’t load in Carrara, but does in Studio and there is no way to tell the difference.  If it won’t load in Carrara, try the other one!

Posted: 19 October 2012 12:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  0
Roygee - 16 October 2012 01:02 AM

Has anyone else installed the DSON importer for Poser?  It doubled-up the icons in the smart content in both Carrara and DS, one each of .duf and .cr2.  The .cr2 won’t load in Carrara, but does in Studio and there is no way to tell the difference.  If it won’t load in Carrara, try the other one!

Hmm, nope, I hadn’t installed the DSON Poser import plugin.

I did install the dson 1.6 trx content pack, which prompts to uninstall the earlier daz studio content pack first… so no, there isn;t any duplicates showing up in that respect.

I am curious however regarding alot of the new installer files for the products.. I mean for example,

13439_Victoria5Legacy_1.1_trx.exe
13439_Victoria5_1.1_trx.exe
13439_Victoria5PoserCF_1.1_dpc.exe

and yet many others also have a “DSON” suffix making everything right now all the more confusing.

Posted: 19 October 2012 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8772
Joined  2007-11-06
Mohandai - 19 October 2012 12:31 AM

I did install the dson 1.6 trx content pack, which prompts to uninstall the earlier daz studio content pack first… so no, there isn;t any duplicates showing up in that respect.

I am curious however regarding alot of the new installer files for the products.. I mean for example,

and yet many others also have a “DSON” suffix making everything right now all the more confusing.

PoserCF is only for P9/PP2012 and requires the main file as well
Legacy is for DS4.0
The main file is for DS4.5, C8.5, and P9/PP2012

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 19 October 2012 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  0
fixmypcmike - 19 October 2012 03:06 PM
Mohandai - 19 October 2012 12:31 AM

PoserCF is only for P9/PP2012 and requires the main file as well
Legacy is for DS4.0
The main file is for DS4.5, C8.5, and P9/PP2012

Thanks for the clarification on the file types smile

Now only if I could figure out whats going on with the “Smart Content” browser tab in Carrara, as to why only the stock Daz Studio content is showing up in there only, and the rest of the extra smart content i’ve been installing only shows up when I manually add the folder into the regular “Content” tab (which then shows up as Legacy Daz Studio folder structure; mind you, isnt a bad thing either.)

Posted: 20 October 2012 05:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-24

HI Mohandai smile

If you have to manually add a folder to the Smart Content tab,.... then either that folder isn’t mapped to your DS folders, or you’re missing the point of smart content, and you’re still customising the location of your installed content.
the “legacy” part,.. could be from DS3, if you’re still using that,.. but that probably won’t be “smart content”

“Smart content” means that you add the content into your main “Library”, and the “Smart” part only shows you the content which applies to the item you have selected in the scene, whether that’s a figure, or clothing, or hair.

you don’t need to create custom folders to install content to in order to have them organised..EG: genesis dresses : genesis sci-fi stuff… etc

Both Carrara and Daz Studio, support the “Categories” view, where you can create customised collections of items, for example : Genesis dresses,.. Genesis sci-fi stuff ... etc

So, instead of creating a new folder for genesis shoes, and installing all your shoes there,....
you would install the products to your main “My Library”, folder, then create a custom “Category”, and add all your shoes to it.
then you can locate that in DS or Carrara.

Hope that makes sense smile

Posted: 20 October 2012 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2006-12-12

I know I am missing something or not getting something….

I am not able to veiw any Genesis anything through Carrara.

I have DAZ|Studio 4.5 and Carrara 8.1 installed on my Laptop all of my (non-genesis) content on an external hard drive. The base Genesis stuff is on the ‘c’ drive of the lap top, I have not yet installed any add-ons yet.

I am finding my self to be quite lost with where and how to view/use the Genesis content in Carrara…...will I need to install Carrara 8.5 Beta to use Genesis?

EDIT:
BTW I am not using and have not been installing any of the smart content files as I have a runtime system that works for me.

1 of 3