Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Do you like Poser figures to have a lot of material zones or as few as possible?
Posted: 03 October 2012 12:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  563
Joined  2003-10-09

By the way, since I didn’t see an answer to the question (I admittedly just skimmed over the thread, and so apologize in advance if someone has already answered this), as long as they use the name maps, more material zones do NOT slow down rendering.

Signature 

A good pun is its own reword

“The greatest sin is to be willfully unteachable” - Dr. Pat Allen

Posted: 03 October 2012 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  539
Joined  2008-07-18

No one had answered that. Thanks for pitching that in, Valandar. What if the maps are the same but different material room settings? E.g. an iris that has one set of settings and a sclera that has another?

Signature 

My Free Stuff | My Big Store at CP | My Smaller Store at Renderosity | Prayer | Me on Twitter | Me on DA

Posted: 03 October 2012 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  2012-02-04
andolaurina - 03 October 2012 07:45 AM

No one had answered that. Thanks for pitching that in, Valandar. What if the maps are the same but different material room settings? E.g. an iris that has one set of settings and a sclera that has another?

Unless they are using different shader techniques (e.g., one is matte, while another is glossy with a lot of specularity/reflection), I doubt there will be any real performance difference.

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage
Set Focal Distance script for DAZ Studio

Posted: 05 October 2012 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-07-18

Thanks for all of your thoughts! This is interesting.

Signature 

My Free Stuff | My Big Store at CP | My Smaller Store at Renderosity | Prayer | Me on Twitter | Me on DA

Posted: 05 October 2012 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  230
Joined  2009-04-21
andolaurina - 02 October 2012 05:21 PM

Good input! Yeah, I was talking about human figures.

Do any of you ever use material zones with procedural shaders? For example, do you ever make a bodysuit of sorts by applying a material to different body parts? Here, I’m referring to something similar to what DAZ did in the Generation 3 figures? Remember the wetsuit/body suit/glove/leggings options for Aiko 3 and the other figures? Like that.

Yeah, I’ve done that a decent amount-it’s a useful option in cases where a cool outfit has a racier skirt or skimpier top than I care for.  (I’m

Posted: 05 October 2012 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-07-18
Odaa - 05 October 2012 08:28 AM
andolaurina - 02 October 2012 05:21 PM

Good input! Yeah, I was talking about human figures.

Do any of you ever use material zones with procedural shaders? For example, do you ever make a bodysuit of sorts by applying a material to different body parts? Here, I’m referring to something similar to what DAZ did in the Generation 3 figures? Remember the wetsuit/body suit/glove/leggings options for Aiko 3 and the other figures? Like that.

Yeah, I’ve done that a decent amount-it’s a useful option in cases where a cool outfit has a racier skirt or skimpier top than I care for.  (I’m

Hey, I do that too! It’s makes semi-ridiculous battle and fantasy wear more plausible and G-rated. lol smile

Signature 

2 of 2