Digital Art Zone

3 of 4
underwater city?
Posted: 09 October 2012 02:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3597
Joined  2004-10-01

@David - first picture looks best to me. I’m with GussNemo about the haze. As far as light rays and caustics are concerned, it depends how deep down the scene is. Light may not penetrate far enough. The blurriness seems a bit overdone to me. Now there are two things to consider: how it looks in reality if you’re actually there, and how we got conditioned by the movie industry they made us to believe it looks (same for space scenes).

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 09 October 2012 03:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  103
Joined  2011-02-06

Hi,you can use my scene if you need some hints/details for your work or as wallpaper.It has light gel,dept of field setting (0.01 on 1st jellyfish), lots of objects even boolean or metaball bubbles made by me :-D.
This isn’t an underwater city scene but definitely an underwater nature scene smile (based on the 1st jellyfish http://www.sharecg.com/v/63942/browse/5/3D-Model/Jelly-Fish-Series-Jelly-Fish-One-IMPROVED  modeled in Hexagon by mtnmen Sharecg user)
“World of Silence for Bryce” to download :
http://www.sharecg.com/v/64001/gallery/5/3D-Model/World-of-Silence-for-Bryce
Enjoy:)

Image Attachments
World_of_Silence.jpg
 Signature 

“If the facts don’t fit the theory, change the facts..” LOL
( Albert Einstein )

Posted: 12 October 2012 12:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1527
Joined  2011-09-25

@cris:  That’s a very good render.  It took me a minute to notice, but that’s a nice touch of the small amount of bubbles on the right.  I question if the surface would be that still in the ocean(?).  Other wise, real nice.

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 13 October 2012 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2622
Joined  2004-07-06

Without submarines, scuba divers, fish or bubbles.  Just trying to sell this on the lighting effects alone.  Here’s another attempt for you all to contemplate.  TA render, a dozen black fireflies removed in post.  Render time 1 and three quarter hours.  144 rpp.

Image Attachments
UnderTA8.jpg
 Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 13 October 2012 06:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1647
Joined  2007-12-10

Yes, that’s a good one David. I can certainly see that as being about 20/30 foot of water.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 13 October 2012 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  118
Joined  2008-11-17

@David Brinnen
That last one is really realistic, it has that feel of being at the bottom of a sea.

Here’s my try on this thread - murky, muddy water. Just settled with the lighting, I plan to add some objects to it - don’t really know what to add raspberry

Image Attachments
20_murky_water_h4.jpg

Posted: 13 October 2012 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06
dwsel_ - 13 October 2012 09:09 AM

@David Brinnen
That last one is really realistic, it has that feel of being at the bottom of a sea.

Here’s my try on this thread - murky, muddy water. Just settled with the lighting, I plan to add some objects to it - don’t really know what to add raspberry

FISH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkjbMoj0JY4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSeSTI272LM

I’m pleased you think it looks realistic, since I’ve just spent the last five hours turning this into a twenty five minute tutorial… rendering now.

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 13 October 2012 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  118
Joined  2008-11-17
David Brinnen - 13 October 2012 09:26 AM

@David Brinnen

FISH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkjbMoj0JY4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSeSTI272LM

I’m pleased you think it looks realistic, since I’ve just spent the last five hours turning this into a twenty five minute tutorial… rendering now.

Oh my…. I died laughing when I saw fishing scene :D I didn’t know that tv show before, and salting fishes in the aquarium was the most funny part smile

Posted: 13 October 2012 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01
David Brinnen - 13 October 2012 05:50 AM

Without submarines, scuba divers, fish or bubbles.  Just trying to sell this on the lighting effects alone.  Here’s another attempt for you all to contemplate.  TA render, a dozen black fireflies removed in post.  Render time 1 and three quarter hours.  144 rpp.

That’s it! It looks wet and underwatery. Excellent.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 13 October 2012 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2005-11-18

rofl @David I may just be a “bloody colonial” (a.k.a. american) but you just have to love Red Dwarf!  Time to go digging for episodes on netflix cause its been just TOO long since I’ve watched it.

Great scene and can’t wait till you can post the finished tutorial!

Posted: 13 October 2012 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

@David Brinnen

Good start. Water doesn’t need to be blue, it is not if the sky is grey and the scene not very deep down. Your camera man needs to clean the lens. smile

Signature 

Posted: 13 October 2012 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06

Tutorial Bryce 25 minute lighting project - advanced underwater effects - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Image Attachments
Yet_another_underwater_video_scene_2.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 13 October 2012 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1527
Joined  2011-09-25

@David:  I agree with Dave, that scene hits the nail on the head.

You have achieved a very good water look.  You’ve used the right amount of haze, which coupled with the light settings, which coupled with the inclusions to the right of the left rock mound, produces very good looking rays that one would see as the water diffuses the light coming from above.  IMHO, the focal point is the distant haze, which makes one wonder what’s out there.  Had you not included both of those mounds that look wouldn’t have worked.  The eye is then drawn back to the foreground objects, which look as though their picture is just being taken.  So, when is the tutorial coming out?

@dwsel:  That is a very interesting scene.  It appears to be in shallow water,  my first impression being of a closeup of a Salmon egg, with the haze being a Salmon digging a pit for her eggs.  What else to add?  Look at that scene again and ask yourself, what’s off to the right, in all the haze?  Which I think is just right.  Shallow water, perhaps a good loose looking small plant or two?  I see a dark shape in the haze to the right.  Perhaps a plant near that shape placed within the haze.  Then a bit forward and to the right, a frond just appearing into the scene?  Doing something like this would balance the entire scene.

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 13 October 2012 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  669
Joined  2010-02-18

Yeah, David, very convincing now. From the clarity of the water, I guess we’re talking somewhere in the The Caribbean.

BTW. I like how the bubbles look too, and get bigger as they ascend - due to the decreasing pressure allowing them to expand naturally outwards.

On bubbles in general (and not a criticism of those in your image as they work quite well, too), but sometimes bubbles aren’t always bubble-like. Huh??? Yeah, sometimes when they move upwards through the water, particularly after release closer from their inital source, osccilation within their volumes causes them to have additional ‘bubble-bumps’, and so one doesn’t get a perfect spherical bubble, but several oval-like ones (on their sides). Ha…bubble-expert am I smile

Must have a look at the vid.

Jay

Posted: 13 October 2012 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06

Thank you Jamie, I gather from your critique and suggestions, you are formally trained in the appreciation of art?

Jay, yes I know exactly what you mean about the bubbles… now… if displacement worked… or it was possible to drive instancing distribution over an objects surface using the material channel.  Then these bubbles could be created procedurally - which would be fun!

And Jamie, did you miss the link I put on the post above yours?

Bryce 25 minute lighting project - advanced underwater effects - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Signature 

3 of 4