Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Comic book sound effects help
Posted: 02 October 2012 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2006-05-25

I’m going over and revising my graphic novel for publishing at the moment. I’ve taken a bunch of notes about what needs fixing and how but I need a little help. I’ve had a couple people say it’s too “silent”. I don’t want to add too many sound effect bubbles because that seems kitchy to me but I do want to add a few important ones but I’m not sure what words to use. Could someone in the know help me?

Here’s a couple scenes I need a bubble for but I have no idea what word to use.
1. A man has been grabbed around the neck from behind. He attempts to cry out for help but it doesn’t come out clearly. What should his speech bubble say?

2. A man has been shot in the knee. He needs to cry out in pain somehow. What should be in his speech bubble?

3. A woman sees something surprising and gasps. Do I just write “Gasp!”?

There’s probably a few more but those are the only ones I’ve found skimming my notes so far. I’ll go through them again and post if I have anymore.

If you want to see the beta version of the novel, it’s here. Thanks!

Signature 

~Lizzie P.
Visit Dream 9 Studios for art, graphic novels, and more.
My RDNA Store | My Renderosity Store
Facebook | Twitter | deviantART

Posted: 02 October 2012 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2006-04-16
LizzieP_D9S - 02 October 2012 09:40 AM

I’m going over and revising my graphic novel for publishing at the moment. I’ve taken a bunch of notes about what needs fixing and how but I need a little help. I’ve had a couple people say it’s too “silent”. I don’t want to add too many sound effect bubbles because that seems kitchy to me but I do want to add a few important ones but I’m not sure what words to use. Could someone in the know help me?

Here’s a couple scenes I need a bubble for but I have no idea what word to use.
1. A man has been grabbed around the neck from behind. He attempts to cry out for help but it doesn’t come out clearly. What should his speech bubble say?

2. A man has been shot in the knee. He needs to cry out in pain somehow. What should be in his speech bubble?

3. A woman sees something surprising and gasps. Do I just write “Gasp!”?

There’s probably a few more but those are the only ones I’ve found skimming my notes so far. I’ll go through them again and post if I have anymore.

If you want to see the beta version of the novel, it’s here. Thanks!

Hey! I saw your stuff on DA! Good stuff there. To answer your questions…

1. Something like this maybe? “He-alllph!” ??

2. Ah, this one’s easy. He should say this, “Hngh!”

3. A gasp would be what I would put. Or perhaps a bubble that says something like, “She sees something that makes her gasp.” without actually putting only ONE word (like *Gasps*).

This might help as well if you don’t already have it. Comes with plenty of word options, especially if you want words of pain. http://www.daz3d.com/shop/comic-fx-complete

Hope this helps.

Signature 

Genesis is head & shoulders above “Genesis 2” (or better known as BF2/BM2) and is the FAR superior figure. Why? It doesn’t suffer from the UN-necessary gender split

My DeviantArt Page.

ULTIMATE SUPER-HERO FREEBIES!

The Supersuit product comes with a Basic Supersuit. DAZ has finally fixed it’s UV’s. Re-Download now to receive the update. Thanks DAZ! smile

Posted: 02 October 2012 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-05-25

Thanks! That helps me out a lot. :D And thanks for looking at my novel over at DA!

Got one more for now. I’ve currently got a silent Yeti. I don’t think a Yeti would “roar” plus I have something else “roaring”. What sort of sound would a Yeti make?

Signature 

~Lizzie P.

Posted: 02 October 2012 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-04-16

Your welcome! smile

Hmmm. Yeah, Yeti’s probably wouldn’t yell. I can’t remember the video I saw, but I was watching something about Big Foot and someone claims to have made a recording of a very load sound that he claims a Bigfoot made (wish I could remember the name of that, I’d give you a link).

Ah, I think I found it. A recording not the movie, though. Here: http://www.oregonbigfoot.com/sounds.php

Now, since Big Foot is related to the Yeti, they probably make similar sounds. The first one souds like the sounds a Gorilla would make. The last two are good as well. Not sure how that would translate into words, though. Hope this helps. smile

Signature 

Genesis is head & shoulders above “Genesis 2” (or better known as BF2/BM2) and is the FAR superior figure. Why? It doesn’t suffer from the UN-necessary gender split

My DeviantArt Page.

The Supersuit product comes with a Basic Supersuit. DAZ has finally fixed it’s UV’s. Re-Download now to receive the update. Thanks DAZ! smile

Posted: 02 October 2012 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2004-06-13

In my opinion it is not so much the word/sound as it is the font/style used that has the most impact.

Signature 

Push buttons, see what happens!

Posted: 02 October 2012 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  2005-07-29

1) “Herk!”
2) “&#*@!”
3) “oh my G…”

Signature 

<End of transmission from Oz>
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis/G2F/G2M Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis Partial Body Morph in DAZ Studio Pro 4 Using the DForm Tool by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Applying Shaders by RKane_1 (as stolen blatantly from Jaderail)

Posted: 02 October 2012 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2005-02-25

Scene 1.  I’d have the choked man saying something like “Ack!” in lowercase and with breath marks.  (There’s a wonderful page at Blambot that goes into detail about breath marks and other comic lettering standards at Comic fonts and grammar).

Scene 2. A man shot & crying out in pain. Definitely have him yelling “Agh!” or something, in upper case and in a jagged word balloon.

Scene 3. A woman gasping.  You could either go with a standard word balloon with breath marks and a small “Gasp!” if she’s whispering, or a large “GASP!” in all caps by itself, without a word balloon, if she does it louder.

As for a Yeti roar, I’d probably go with a “Roaaaaar!” outside of a word balloon, in a different font in all caps.  If it’s a loud or long roar, you can always stretch it out over several panels.  I have a similar scene in one of my scripts where there is a loud volcanic eruption that the characters gradually notice & decided to do it that way.

Posted: 03 October 2012 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1310
Joined  2003-12-16

this is a good article on dialog for comics, not sound effects but it does go hand in hand. A good story can be made great with the right effects, but it can just as easily be ruined.

http://comicrelated.com/news/3416/creating-comics?dur=81

[edit] your work look amazing btw!

Signature 

Gravy to potatoes, Luke to Darth Vader, I’m a souped up sucker and I’ll see you all later

Posted: 03 October 2012 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-05-25

Eek, for some reason I’m not getting reply notifications from the forum again! I checked and I AM subscribed to this thread. Yet another bug I guess…

Thanks, everyone for your help! I appreciate it. smile Special thanks to dylyn.prosser and StratDragon for those links. I’m reading over both of them now.

I thought I needed to style my dialog bubbles more and after reading those links and seeing more comments, I think I’ll get to work on designing some new bubble variations that fit with the style I’m already using. Good thing I’m decent at working with vectors! I also never thought of the bubbles overlapping or going right to the border frames… that might look cool so I’ll have to try it out.

I’m sure glad I asked for help here because this is really going to improve things!

Signature 

~Lizzie P.

Posted: 03 October 2012 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-04-16
dylyn.prosser - 02 October 2012 11:43 PM

(There’s a wonderful page at Blambot that goes into detail about breath marks and other comic lettering standards at Comic fonts and grammar).

I would not trust this link. When I clicked on it, it made my screen turn slightly blue. I had to restart my computer. Scanning for viruses now

Signature 

My DeviantArt Page.

Posted: 03 October 2012 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-05-25
Knight22179 - 03 October 2012 10:07 AM
dylyn.prosser - 02 October 2012 11:43 PM

(There’s a wonderful page at Blambot that goes into detail about breath marks and other comic lettering standards at Comic fonts and grammar).

I would not trust this link. When I clicked on it, it made my screen turn slightly blue. I had to restart my computer. Scanning for viruses now

When I clicked it, it took me to a “did you mean…” error page and that sent me to the right link which is http://www.blambot.com/grammar.shtml
The problem is that dylyn.prosser accidentally put the “http://” twice which caused the error. I don’t know why that would turn your screen blue though.

Signature 

~Lizzie P.

Posted: 03 October 2012 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-04-16

Ahhhh, thanks Lizzie. smile

Signature 

My DeviantArt Page.

Posted: 03 October 2012 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  707
Joined  2008-07-16

I got shot in the thigh once with an arrow (not the same as the knee)... I think most of the sounds that came from me would be against TOS rules to repeat here…. But for the most part when I’ve been injured by flying projectiles (mostly debris) the first sound I make usually starts with F and end with a K…. I don’t think I’ve ever made any traditional ouch sounds… maybe a few snarls and some angry Klingon or Badger sounds… stuff like that. Mostly it’s obscenities… Some have been quite funny.

Signature 

VISIT MY ShareCG FREEBIE GALLERY

Posted: 03 October 2012 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2009-08-07

1. “Gak…!” Note the ellipses, indicating a trailing off.
2. “ARRRRRGH” would do it. Extra large, extra bold. Or “Nnnnnggh” if he’s trying to be brave and keep it quiet.
3. I would recommend no sound. A hand to mouth and gaping eyes should denote surprise.

Because these sound effects are so unnatural, it’s often (though not always) better to leave them out than include something that will take the reader an extra second or two to process.

Good luck!

Signature 

Check out The Lesser Evil, a graphic novel made using DAZ models, and published by Zetabella Publishing!

Posted: 03 October 2012 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2003-10-09

I’m going to be anal here but people do not make sound FX.

If the image itself says everything appropriately, then no sound is necessary.  We don’t need to hear ‘Gasp’ if the expression and pose tells us all we need to know.  I don’t need a man shot in the foot to tell me it hurts.  I’ll be able to tell by the look on his face.  (And seriously, outside of Liz Lemon, who really says ‘arghh’?)

If you feel compelled to use some kind of dialogue, try to imagine what you want to convey, not some concept of what should be said.  Or better yet what you’d say in the situation.

Posted: 03 October 2012 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2009-08-07
kmw_ - 03 October 2012 07:39 PM

I’m going to be anal here but people do not make sound FX.

If the image itself says everything appropriately, then no sound is necessary.  We don’t need to hear ‘Gasp’ if the expression and pose tells us all we need to know.  I don’t need a man shot in the foot to tell me it hurts.  I’ll be able to tell by the look on his face.  (And seriously, outside of Liz Lemon, who really says ‘arghh’?)

If you feel compelled to use some kind of dialogue, try to imagine what you want to convey, not some concept of what should be said.  Or better yet what you’d say in the situation.

Admittedly, I’ve never been shot, but whenever I bang my head, slice my hand open or stub my toe, it’s always “Argh, damn it” or “Nngggh, f***” The ‘sfx’ is a necessary leadin to cursing in my vocabulary! :P

I agree with what you said though, as you can see from my previous post. Definitely make sure the art stands by itself without the words, and then consider leaving the words out. (Even if you ultimately decide to leave them in, the art will be better for it!)

Signature 

Check out The Lesser Evil, a graphic novel made using DAZ models, and published by Zetabella Publishing!

1 of 2