Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
This is so cool it’s sickening
Posted: 03 June 2012 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2012-01-12
welchrs64 - 03 June 2012 04:02 PM

I have some time to catch up on my rest. While I am disappointed in the Carrara Team for the lack demonstrations and verification that FBX export works as advertised, for the price and the many rich features, and ease of use I and going to stick with it be patient in hopes a future update in 8.5 or sooner will correct the problems. I have found was that work 50% of time to get around it. Basically you can use Save as, not export, to Collada (Don’t select Daz Collada) and select every thing in the scene accept the camera and light. Sometimes that will export the rigged character. Open it in Student version of 3ds Max and export as FBX for unity.

I am trying to screen capture a stable repeatable demonstration of this to share on the forum to help others.

My self education in CG and Game design/development improved a lot thanks the many free tools Daz3d gave us prior to my buying Carrara. I’m thankful for that. No more all nighters trying to make sometime work though. LOL

Robert

I found a repeatable work around. I will post this in it’s own Topic to help others. Please see the pics for getting a rigged Carrara Character from C8 to FBX format. All in all I’m still happy with Carrara because I can rigg and model faster which means a lot to a beginner like me(-:

Image removed by a moderator till resized…please see this thread for info: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewannounce/510_98/

Posted: 03 June 2012 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-12
welchrs64 - 03 June 2012 07:57 PM
welchrs64 - 03 June 2012 04:02 PM

I have some time to catch up on my rest. While I am disappointed in the Carrara Team for the lack demonstrations and verification that FBX export works as advertised, for the price and the many rich features, and ease of use I and going to stick with it be patient in hopes a future update in 8.5 or sooner will correct the problems. I have found was that work 50% of time to get around it. Basically you can use Save as, not export, to Collada (Don’t select Daz Collada) and select every thing in the scene accept the camera and light. Sometimes that will export the rigged character. Open it in Student version of 3ds Max and export as FBX for unity.

I am trying to screen capture a stable repeatable demonstration of this to share on the forum to help others.

My self education in CG and Game design/development improved a lot thanks the many free tools Daz3d gave us prior to my buying Carrara. I’m thankful for that. No more all nighters trying to make sometime work though. LOL

Robert

Opps the first and second Pic are out of order

I found a repeatable work around. I will post this in it’s own Topic to help others. Please see the pics for getting a rigged Carrara Character from C8 to FBX format. All in all I’m still happy with Carrara because I can rigg and model faster which means a lot to a beginner like me(-:

Image removed by a moderator till resized…please see this thread for info: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewannounce/510_98/

Posted: 05 June 2012 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-12
3DAGE - 03 June 2012 06:45 AM

One of the main issues with both FBX and Collada is that they are “Open” formats, so, there are different version of them, different programs are able to open some versions and will distort other versions, or not load them at all.
Fortunately, on the Autodesk site,. they’ve seen this as an issue, and have an FBX “Converter” which can be used to get your FBX into a different version format that your Unity app may open easier.

Having used 3DMax Character studio, and Physique, .. Carrara is much easier and faster to rig and weight in.

just my 2 pence smile

@3DAGE, I stand Corrected your are so right. I did rigg my toon in Character Studio and it works but it was a pain in the behind. In the end I ended up importing it back to Carrara where i easily fixed all the weight painting. I also rigged a duplicate in Carrara and imports to Unity as FBX just fine. I love Carrara. I just have to remember I am a Newbie so some times it is not the fault of the software, It turns out that Carrara won’t give you the export option if your scene has some defect that won’t import. If you do a save as and save as a FBX anyway, you get bad results and end up up all night like I did a few days ago, learned a lot though. LOL

I was glad to to learn 3ds Max Character Studio but I will be doing all my rigging and weight painting in Carrara.

My Char on youtube is below

http://youtu.be/dCBXra4S2XA

Thanks for your response

Robert

Posted: 09 June 2012 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  335
Joined  2007-07-31
chris poole - 29 May 2012 07:21 PM

I appreciate they are plugins, but like blender they attract these awesome programers because it’s given away free, if it wasn’t for Fenric and Sparrowhawke etc etc.. *** We’d have next to nothing.
I could pull my! hair out, is it just me?
Chris

Well the Studio plugins arent free !

*** Dont forget plugins for Carrara from Inagoni and Digtal Carvers adding lots more fuctionality

Inagoni have just cut their prices by 50%    http://www.inagoni.com/news.php

Signature 

http://bond3d.wix.com/carrarators#!home/mainPage

2 of 2