Download page isn’t working on the web site
Posted: 02 October 2012 11:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1860
Joined  2006-02-17
Taozen - 02 October 2012 11:25 PM
namffuak - 02 October 2012 03:39 PM

If CloudFlare does not support zips and exes they should not be interrupting download streams when they do a cache refresh—but that is what seems to be happening.

Technically I interpret “do not support” as “do not handle correctly”. The ZIP and EXE files from DAZ are passing through CloudFlare but CloudFlare has no Content-Type parameter in the HTTP header for these files which may be part of the problem.

But I can see now that DAZ has directed downloads back to their own servers again so maybe things are back to normal now.

If one could manage to get the whole file down before the cache went for a refresh then there were no problems.  Using a ultra high speed connection I was able to bring down several hundred megabytes of content.  I timed it like this:  Start a download (any file), as soon as it fails start the download of the file I wanted.  Using this method I was able to bring down files >200MB.

From my research, it was definitely CouldFlare.  Also, CloudFlare has been having issues of their own the last week.  So unsupported content+cache refresh intervals set too close together+internal network problems = poor user experience.

BTW, services like CloudFlare are supposed to keep users from seeing “page not found” errors from bad connections.  If one is using a caching service and users are getting pages like those reported, the failure is on the part of the cache provider.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 02 October 2012 11:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  551
Joined  2005-09-12

If CloudFlare does not support zips and exes they should not be interrupting download streams when they do a cache refresh—but that is what seems to be happening.

Technically I interpret “do not support” as “do not handle correctly”. The ZIP and EXE files from DAZ are passing through CloudFlare but CloudFlare has no Content-Type parameter in the HTTP header for these files which may be part of the problem.

But I can see now that DAZ has directed downloads back to their own servers again so maybe things are back to normal now.

I admit to being a bit of a fossil grin - old-school mainframe sysprog retooled to a unix (Aix) sysadmin, so I’ve no clue on how you’re doing the html diagnosis. Could you point me to a viable tutorial? (And apologies to the rest for the off-topic here!)

Signature 

The only constant is change—and it’s a variable.

Posted: 02 October 2012 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1860
Joined  2006-02-17
namffuak - 02 October 2012 11:46 PM

I admit to being a bit of a fossil grin - old-school mainframe sysprog retooled to a unix (Aix) sysadmin, so I’ve no clue on how you’re doing the html diagnosis. Could you point me to a viable tutorial? (And apologies to the rest for the off-topic here!)

This is more HTTP (HyperText Transfer Protocol) than HTML.  http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616.html

There is some forensic bleedover, mostly in URL/URI encoding, Forms variables, or JavaScript that can tell you some important information.  Those rfc’s are scattered across many files.

In truth, your Unix TCP knowledge will probably get you 80% of the way there.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 03 October 2012 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1708
Joined  2008-05-31
Kendall Sears - 02 October 2012 11:37 PM

If one could manage to get the whole file down before the cache went for a refresh then there were no problems.  Using a ultra high speed connection I was able to bring down several hundred megabytes of content.  I timed it like this:  Start a download (any file), as soon as it fails start the download of the file I wanted.  Using this method I was able to bring down files >200MB.
Kendall

Sounds plausible. I tried a 417 MB file, 3 times it failed, the 4th time I got it. Must have hit the right time when getting the last one. That’s on a 17 mBit connection btw.

In general I have had very few problems downloading anything except for tiles over 100 MB. Had one single error when I downloaded 130 ZIP files of varying size 1-80 MB, the rest tested OK in WinRAR. But of course, things may have been worse in some periods than in others.

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

2 of 2