Who said Blender was hard?
Posted: 09 October 2012 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  236
Joined  2010-01-27

Ok. Shoot the frog.

Signature 

—————————-
“By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you’ll be happy. If you get a bad one, you’ll become a philosopher.”—Socrates
http://www.improbable.me
Using DS 4.5.0.114 Pro 32 bit poorly.

(Formerly Halfbubble)

Posted: 09 October 2012 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
Torby - 09 October 2012 06:36 PM

Ok. Shoot the frog.

Yeah, one more shot, and he’ll be quite pickled…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 09 October 2012 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4538
Joined  2004-08-11

I hear pickled frog is quite delectable!  raspberry

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 09 October 2012 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4927
Joined  2008-03-06

Yuuuck. :D

Considering other Blender short films I’ve seen, I’m actually very impressed with the sync and voice work.  I mean the other stuff is nice, but that especially.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 09 October 2012 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

RIBIT, RIBIT… dear me, I have a frog in my throat… RIBIT .... raspberry

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 09 October 2012 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2005-10-11

If anyone has tried to use Blender and failed miserably (like me),  take another look.

It is simply THE Best Deal out there. Not just because it’s FREE, but because it also is extremely powerful.

Witness the Sintel video.  And the new GUI, while not as intuitive as Carrara, is
not that difficult to learn.  And no false modesty,  if I can do it, trust me, anyone can do it!!!

The new Cycles renderer is wonderful, and blazing fast when used with an NVIDIA CUDA GPU…...e.g.
my GTX460 2gb graphics card renders 10X(!!!)  faster than the Phenom II 955 CPU on the same computer. =O

I also have it (2.63a) set up to render with Yafaray, Octane Render, 3Delight, and LuxRender. But really like Cycles, especially
since it is so fast (with CUDA).

I still use and love Carrara & Bryce, but highly recommend Blender. It does amazing physics animations.

Here’s an overview of the new improvements in just released 2.64.

There are gigabytes of free video tutorials….....re: my To Do List. =O

The best adjective to describe Blender is not “hard’......it’s “awesome”
Which is why I created this site. http://www.blenderportal.com/

Check it out. wink

Signature 

My YouTube channel 
www.blenderportal.com

Posted: 09 October 2012 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4927
Joined  2008-03-06

*Cough* Well,don’t witness the Sintel video if you’re easily depressed.  It suffers from Short Film Ending Syndrome.  It is a fantastic piece of work, though.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 10 October 2012 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13

Depressing?

Old Yeller is depressing…Sintel is a ton of bricks dropping on your kitten, the day your car dies on your way back home from a root canal kind of film.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 10 October 2012 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

I agree.  Sintel was ... IS an amazing piece.  I was under the impression that we were going to have an abrupt ending but it ended well but left you wanting more.  I can’t believe all that was achieved in Blender.  The part where she is going through the bamboo jungle was just so vibrant and lovely.  The Dragons were exceptional and the old wise man.. WOW!  The main character was very likable and you wanted to see her succeed and felt her pain as she realized her fatal mistake.

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 10 October 2012 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  239
Joined  2012-05-25
megacal - 09 October 2012 09:50 PM

If anyone has tried to use Blender and failed miserably (like me),  take another look.

It is simply THE Best Deal out there. Not just because it’s FREE, but because it also is extremely powerful.

Witness the Sintel video.  And the new GUI, while not as intuitive as Carrara, is
not that difficult to learn.  And no false modesty,  if I can do it, trust me, anyone can do it!!!

The new Cycles renderer is wonderful, and blazing fast when used with an NVIDIA CUDA GPU…...e.g.
my GTX460 2gb graphics card renders 10X(!!!)  faster than the Phenom II 955 CPU on the same computer. =O

I also have it (2.63a) set up to render with Yafaray, Octane Render, 3Delight, and LuxRender. But really like Cycles, especially
since it is so fast (with CUDA).

I still use and love Carrara & Bryce, but highly recommend Blender. It does amazing physics animations.

Here’s an overview of the new improvements in just released 2.64.

There are gigabytes of free video tutorials….....re: my To Do List. =O

The best adjective to describe Blender is not “hard’......it’s “awesome”
Which is why I created this site. http://www.blenderportal.com/

Check it out. wink

that video only prove to me, that programs like carrara and bryce where good and fun in the past and today are a waste to learn.

i never seen a video so good like sintel created with carrara or even bryce software.

learning Blender is indeed fun and lot’s of resources available from blender.org

Signature 

Very Happy that i save $$$ for products that have no manual and invest this in the great lux modo :p

Posted: 10 October 2012 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-10-11

To anyone who uses Blender…...even if for several years,  I would always recommend adding Bryce (it’s FREE, too!)
and Carrara7Pro (may be free sometime soon?).

Blender can do it all, but Bryce & Carrara can do wonderful art & animations, and much quicker & easier given the
huge amount of content that come with both. And Hexagon is a decent modeler.

I doubt I’ll be using Blender any time soon to create realistic skies & terrains. But I’m having a great time with it
none the less.

The best tool for the job may not always be Blender…...or Carrrara or Bryce or VUE or C4D,  or LW, or Maya etc

Whatever rings your bell. wink

Signature 

My YouTube channel 
www.blenderportal.com

Posted: 10 October 2012 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13

I’ve got Scales and I’m going to try rigging her (?)...she was a hard one to find.  Most of the other models, including Sintel, herself, were pretty easy.  All of them are under a CC license, so I’m surprised that they haven’t already been ‘Poserized’

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 31 March 2014 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  330
Joined  2004-11-11
DaremoK3 - 03 October 2012 03:38 AM

So…

Am I the only one who loved the old UI?

That is once Paolo helped me grasp the entirety of the complete suite.

Custom vertical docking (now default in 2.5 series), and a custom setup room for every flavor; Modeling/Sculpting, Texturing, UV-ing, Rendering, LuxRendering, Dynamics, and 3D Painting.  Similar to my different rooms in both Poser, and Carrara.

I still have that 2.49 installed, and play in it every now and then.  Still love that UI…

Don’t get me wrong, though, I love the 2.5 series.  Especially since they have been working so hard on the modeling tools to be on par with Wings3D.

That’s right, I said Wings3D…

Blender isn’t quite there yet, but is getting there slowly but surely.  Eventually, I can see myself completely abandoning W3D, and use Blender exclusively for my modeling tasks.  For now, I’m content with my W3D/Blender/Hexagon/Metasequoia workflows.

Oh?  What do you use Metasequoia for?

Signature 

FranOnTheEdge

Posted: 31 March 2014 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-10-11

re: Wings3D….....another under-rated app. I tried it a few times, and didn’t get anywhere,
but after seeing what David Brinnen has done with it, I need to spend some time with it for sure.

re: Blender…....just keeps getting better & better. Not easy, but not that difficult especially
since the makeover with 2.5.  I know you and many others like the old gui, but it was
a major stumbling block for me (and many others).  To each his own.
“If you like your Blender, you can keep your Blender…....period.”  smile

There are so many versions to choose from (if you don’t need the latest & greatest).

It’s just very flexible, and even runs off a flash drive, so very portable. And there seems to be an infinite number
of free tutorials for it as well.

It’s especially good for physics sims, e.g. fluids & softbodies.  I like Carrara best for bullet physics, and animation.
VUE for terrains & skies. Bryce for abstract art, certain terrains, and materials.

BTW, I’ve put together many links here if anyone is interested in getting & learning Blender. smile
http://www.blenderportal.com/ 

re: Sintel…..

Depressing?

Old Yeller is depressing…Sintel is a ton of bricks dropping on your kitten, the day your car dies on your way back home from a root canal kind of film.

....LOL!  I missed that earlier…....I was only im-pressed, not de-pressed as I still haven’t seen the whole thing.

It was done in 2010 by a team that took a year (I think).....but it does show what Blender could do then, and it’s evolved quite a bit since then…....the release cycle is about 3months!  =O

Signature 

My YouTube channel 
www.blenderportal.com

Posted: 31 March 2014 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11055
Joined  2007-11-06

...until they come up with a “default” camera in the editing window that can be controlled using a pointing device (like other modelling apps have) instead having to key in your movements all the time, I still find it cumbersome to work with.

Something like the Daz “Camera Cube” would be a vast improvement.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

5 of 8