Who said Blender was hard?
Posted: 05 October 2012 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

import ai, extrude, bevel etc… instant object ;p

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 06 October 2012 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2003-10-09
RorrKonn - 03 October 2012 02:39 PM

I’m explaining this wrong ,let me try again.
LW ,Softimage are hotkey driven.Blender ,LW ,Softimage fells a lot a like to me.
trueSpace ,C4D have icons but you can use hotkeys.C4D has a LW UI so you can make C4D look and work like LW.

lets fore get about the hot keys.mouse or wacom.
the faster app’s it’s less steps to select a vertice.

In Blender you can right-click a vertex to select it, or shift+right click to add or remove it from the selection.

Posted: 06 October 2012 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
Fuzzy Gnome - 06 October 2012 10:10 AM
RorrKonn - 03 October 2012 02:39 PM

I’m explaining this wrong ,let me try again.
LW ,Softimage are hotkey driven.Blender ,LW ,Softimage fells a lot a like to me.
trueSpace ,C4D have icons but you can use hotkeys.C4D has a LW UI so you can make C4D look and work like LW.

lets fore get about the hot keys.mouse or wacom.
the faster app’s it’s less steps to select a vertice.

In Blender you can right-click a vertex to select it, or shift+right click to add or remove it from the selection.

Or ‘C’ and circle select…or ‘B’ and box select…and click a little icon at the bottom to switch between vertex-edge-face…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 06 October 2012 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4962
Joined  2008-03-06

I tell you what, it was a gleeful day when I found out the edge select and other selection tools work in the UV window as well.

Also, digression, but the improved syncing between UV/3d window?  Bliss.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 06 October 2012 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4544
Joined  2004-08-11

I have a question… When Blender starts up for the first time there is a cube drawn out for you.  OK that’s fine… OK 2 questions… How to divide up the faces to the point where using the molding tools will work to actually change the shape?  My main question is what is that funny little circle that if you click somewhere in the scene it relocate to that location?  I don’t get why that’s so important to have that visible in the scene.  I click directly on the cube I can move it all over the place or using the XYX widget arrows to move it around with more precision.  Thanks folks!  grin

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 06 October 2012 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Would love a copy of that short cut chart Miss B but the links all tell me “Sorry…..”

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 06 October 2012 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  197
Joined  2003-10-09

Not talking about D/S Pro ,it’s not a modeling App.
Genesis was modeled in Modo.
Genesis is 100% quads ,polycount around 18,872.
Genesis is made to work in any app.
Genesis is one of the best Character Meshes ever made.

I’m talking about Blender,Max,Maya,Softimage,C4D,LW, etc etc.
They all could be so much more.

Posted: 06 October 2012 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  0

RAMwolf:
select the cube and type “W” which will give you a menu with “subdivide” and confirm with enter - which will do as it says- do that a few times to get it fine enough for your needs.
As for the 3D cursor (that funny thing like a ring) - it acts as a center for things like rotation and spin extrusion. It’s actually very useful when you get into things. Say you want curve a pipe around a corner: find the center of the corner, put the 3D cursor there using Shift- S, 3 then select your pipe, tab into edit mode and postion the end even with the cursor and press the spin button: bingo, a neat pipe bend.
Of course I have missed out every detail of the operation here but the point is that the cursor is essential for modelling.

Posted: 06 October 2012 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  383
Joined  2003-10-09

Yeah, RAMWolff, the 3D cursor is a pain in my azz, and I wish I could just turn it off completely (until I ever need it).

Others swear by it, and as you can see by zug22’s post, it does have significant usage.  I, personally, just don’t model that way, nor, as zug22 has illustrated, have I seen a dedicated workflow from A to Z presented that would convince me to ever use it.  Maybe someday.

Here is a hotkey map that I use for 2.5 (+) series from KatBits:

http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/blender/useful-keyboard-shortcuts.php

And one with both Object Mode, and Edit Mode more detailed:

http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=79595&sid=336811e794b1a533ecbc5e35cd0a982b

Signature 

Take care all..        “It’s easy to clean up when you got money.”        *Old Post Count:  Don’t know, don’t care…  *New Site Status:  Doesn’t matter one iota.
Ken

Posted: 06 October 2012 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Thank you both so much for your help.  Downloaded the hotkey map for safe keeping.  Will try the sub divide thing later on.  Just home from work.  I need a doobie and my shoes off first!  raspberry

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 06 October 2012 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

That cursor also defines where the next object will be created. It allows one to place objects, pivot points, etc precisely in ways that would be harder without it once one gets the hang of how it works.

One example is in this video about the Curve Modifier.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 07 October 2012 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2950
Joined  2004-10-25
RAMWolff - 06 October 2012 02:39 PM

Would love a copy of that short cut chart Miss B but the links all tell me “Sorry…..”

Sorry Richard, that’s why I also included a link to the page where I found that image. red face

I see that DaremoK3 also linked to it, and you were able to save it.  smile

Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts ~ John Wooden

Posted: 07 October 2012 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2950
Joined  2004-10-25
DaremoK3 - 06 October 2012 03:33 PM

And one with both Object Mode, and Edit Mode more detailed:

http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=79595&sid=336811e794b1a533ecbc5e35cd0a982b

Now that’s a very useful map.  I also liked the second link in that thread with the list of hotkeys and shortcuts.  I used it to update the list I already have.  I’m always adding to it as I “discover” something new.  wink

Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts ~ John Wooden

Posted: 09 October 2012 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

Just for your amusement. grin

Signature 

Posted: 09 October 2012 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

A tool that powerful…and THAT’S what they come up with?

Kind of like using a shotgun to kill a spider…

(looks good, though)

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

4 of 8