I recently had to do this myself because I was in the same boat.
This is what I did (working from memory here)
1. Installed GenX to the default location which should be Program Files/DAZ 3D/DazStudio4
2. Launch D/S.
3. Go to HELP>About Installed Plugins.
4. Scroll down until you see Genesis Generation X. Beside it, there should be a long bar where you have to enter a serial code.
5. Go to your “My Account” on the DAZ website. Locate “My Serial Numbers”. Go to where you should have a Serial Number for GenX. Copy it with your mouse.
6. Go back to Daz Studio and enter your serial number in the empty box and click on the symbol next to it.
7. If it asks for verification at this point or when you try to use GenX, enter your Rendro username/E-mail and the Order number that you ordered Gen4.
8. Your Rendro order number for Gen4 can easily be found on Rendro. If you don’t know how, sign in and go to “Members>My Account” then scroll down until you see “Search Perchases”. Enter Gen4 and click Go/Search. You should find it very easily. The number beside it is your order number. Enter that in the required field in D/S. Click OK.
...blecch, if you have to go through a lot of hoops to get things working right, then it’s not worth the price.
Not really a lot of hoops for me. Once I got the help I needed and figured out what needed to be done, it was rather quick. Now that it’s set up now, I don’t have to ever do it again. Now I can transfer all my characters again. So, for me it’s well worth the price. Every penny. Besides, I bought the upgrade. The upgrade is about half the price as the regular program.
...so for those who already had GenerationX, it actually involves additional cost to upgrade it for use it with 4.5 rather than just a reset of the original DL?
Oh hell no. He used to sell Gen4 at Rendo, then he moved here to sell his improved version.
The update for 4.5 was made available by account reset. (I think the 4.0 and 4.5 versions are in the same download, lemme check).
Man, no wonder you thought this was bad.
edit: Yep, 4.0 and 4.5 versions in each download. No muss, no fuss.
They don’t charge for updated plugins. Just upgraded ones (5.x will be an upgrade).
No, no! For you, all you have to do is reset your download, re-download it and that’s it. It “should” install in the same location when you installed GenX the first time. So, you have an easier time than I did. At least you should.
The additional cost only applies to those of us who had Gen4 that want to upgrade to GenX.
Edited to add: Blast it! T Jaiman, you beat me to it.