Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Buying/building a new PC
Posted: 29 September 2012 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  9
Joined  0

So hopefully I can get some advice on what would be the very best set up to run Bryce 7 pro and what would be the minimum but most efficient system to run Bryce 7 Pro?

I need this info because I’m getting my son to build me a new PC after saving some money and getting a nice tax rebate.Sadly the minimum system info given on this site is a bit vague to be much help.

Posted: 29 September 2012 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6618
Joined  2005-08-15

Bryce is unfortunately still a 32 bit application, but more cores would help a lot with rendering.  It can be made LAA (Large Sddress Aware), but it still wont use any more than 4 GB of memory afaik.

Posted: 29 September 2012 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15941
Joined  2003-10-09

A bit more than minimum specs, but this is what is in my new PC, My son drew up the specs for me, and I had it built.

CPU AMD A8-3870K APU (3.0GHz, 4 Cores)
MB       ASUS® F1A75-M: FM1 A-SERIES, SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0
mem 8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
grphcs 1GB AMD RADEON™ HD6450 - DVI,HDMI,VGA - DX® 11
1st HD   500GB 3.5” SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 16MB CACHE
2nd HD 1TB 3.5” SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE
DVD     24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power   450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan
Cooling SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE AMD CPU COOLER

Oh and Win 7 64bit.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 29 September 2012 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  0

I remember David Brinnen giving his specs at one time but sadly that thread is no more so I cannot reference it.

Posted: 29 September 2012 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  0
chohole - 29 September 2012 08:01 AM

A bit more than minimum specs, but this is what is in my new PC, My son drew up the specs for me, and I had it built.

Oh and Win 7 64bit.

How well does it render volumetric heavy scenes?

Posted: 29 September 2012 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6618
Joined  2005-08-15
Incognitas - 29 September 2012 11:16 AM

I remember David Brinnen giving his specs at one time but sadly that thread is no more so I cannot reference it.

The search function now works on the old forum archive.

I found this, and I hope David doesn’t mind me posting it here?

By David Brinnen on the old forum

Here is my setup,

Windows 7 Pro
64 bit OS
Intel i7 CPU
6 Gb memory
HD 5850 GPU

The i7 is mildly overclocked, using bios settings, this was not lightly undertaken, two weeks of careful research were performed before I started altering voltages. What I found was that in the stock state, the motherboard chose safe but high voltage settings, I found I was able to lower the core voltages and increase the clock speeds and memory speeds. This approach means the CPU runs cooler and faster than it did out of the box.

The stock chips is entry level i7 (920) which is something like 2.6 Ghz, I have turned it up to 3.3 Ghz. If you follow this path to get more performance, remember rendering at high priority at 100% load, and most OC advice is for gamers who design their systems around only 80%. Fit a better cooler than comes as stock and be prepared to make only minor changes at a time. Beyond a certain point, higher grade memory is needed to maintain system stability - this is perhaps the most tasking aspect of an overclocking project, since memory latency and clock multipliers need to be matched for things to work without a hitch.

On the plus side, if you are an inveterate tinkerer, it can also be quite an interesting project in itself. Plus, at the time of purchase, the processor I got cost the thick end of £200 and after careful tweaking, it provided the performance of an £800 processor. Doubtless, these things will be worth, tuppence before long and mobile phones will be more powerful, but until then, this is one way to get more bang for your buck.

The greatest liability, so far, has been PSU’s, even expensive (good?) ones seem to give up the ghost after about 18 months. Also, hard drive failure after PSU’s have gone “pop” has not been unknown, so I backup to network drive, portable drive and DVD. Once stung by data loss, never forgotten.

Posted: 29 September 2012 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  927
Joined  2003-10-09
Incognitas - 29 September 2012 07:31 AM

So hopefully I can get some advice on what would be the very best set up to run Bryce 7 pro and what would be the minimum but most efficient system to run Bryce 7 Pro?

I need this info because I’m getting my son to build me a new PC after saving some money and getting a nice tax rebate.Sadly the minimum system info given on this site is a bit vague to be much help.

Well it kind of depends on a couple of things. First of all are you and Intel only person, and AMD only person or are you open to either option? Also are you only interested in what is needed for Bryce or are you interested in having the best rig you can have with today’s technology? Finally what other things do you do with it? I ask that because now a days you got motherboards that allow you to do the SLi thing of making 2 video cards act like one except now you can do it with 4 video cards. Thing is the only real area of computer use that really benefits form that is gaming.

Here is what I would go with and my choices are mainly based on performance over cost or a best bang for the buck approach.

CPU: AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Memory: 2 x Crucial Ballistix sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (Total of 32GB)
System Drive: OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-512G.M 2.5” 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Storage Drives: 4 x Western Digital WD Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5” Internal Hard Drive (You can never have to much storage space in computers)
Optical Drive: LITE-ON H/H Internal BD Writer with Nero Essential SATA
Video Card: 2 x XFX Double D GT630NCDF2 GeForce GT 630 2GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card (SLi Configuration)

Now I’m also configuring with an eye to the future as I wouldn’t be able to replace such a system a couple of years later. So alot of what I got here is overkill for Bryce, like the Solid State Drive, The Dual Video cards and 32GB of memory. 8GB of memory would be enough, you don’t really need a solid state drive and one decent video card would be fine.

Now there is an issue as to which is actually better Intel or AMD? Intel does out perform AMD on some tests by fractions of a second so in that respect intel is better but the top of the line Intel CPU with 6 cores cost around $1000 whereas the top of the line AMD with 8 cores is only about $200. With a savings of $800 I can stand to be a few fractions of a second slower.

Posted: 29 September 2012 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Incognitas - 29 September 2012 11:21 AM
chohole - 29 September 2012 08:01 AM

Oh and Win 7 64bit.

How well does it render volumetric heavy scenes?

Sorry I don’t know yet, I am still in the process of installing stuff.  The bit I hate most about getting a new PC

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge

Posted: 29 September 2012 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3541
Joined  2004-10-01
chohole - 29 September 2012 12:46 PM

Sorry I don’t know yet, I am still in the process of installing stuff.  The bit I hate most about getting a new PC

I can tell. I usually need at least a full week. I document each file I install at the beginning and later. When I set up a new machine, I check the list what I’ve used and what not, and install accordingly.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 29 September 2012 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Horo - 29 September 2012 01:58 PM
chohole - 29 September 2012 12:46 PM

I can tell. I usually need at least a full week. I document each file I install at the beginning and later. When I set up a new machine, I check the list what I’ve used and what not, and install accordingly.

I have had to force feed the new machine some of my apps, because I have older versions, and Win 7 didn’t like then. I did have to upgrade my Poser, as that simply was not going to play along, but was lucky to find a copy of P8 at a reasonable price.

Luckily enough I did get my old copy of Photoshop to install, there is absolutely no way I can afford to replace that, especially as my version is so old it is out of the upgrade cycle, so I would have to buy a full app again, not an upgrade.

Bryce 5 is on now anyway. I shall redownload Bryce 7, as the version I do have backed up is an older one.

Signature 

Posted: 29 September 2012 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  140
Joined  2003-10-09
chohole - 29 September 2012 02:36 PM

I have had to force feed the new machine some of my apps, because I have older versions, and Win 7 didn’t like then. I did have to upgrade my Poser, as that simply was not going to play along, but was lucky to find a copy of P8 at a reasonable price.

Were these installation problems or running problems? I can run Poser4 on this Win7 unit fine using the compatibilty mode feature, but this Poser4 was a complete setup imported from a previous machine.

If you have the Pro or Ultimate editions of Windows 7, you can download a virtual Windows XP installation to help tame stubborn programs and older hardware peripherals (CPU will need virtualization feature - yours does).
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Posted: 29 September 2012 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

No I got windows 7 home.  realsied after it was alread too late that I may have been better spending a wee bit more and going for the Pro edition. 

A couple of the programs that won’t install are really ancient, back to about windows 95 I think red face  those ones I can live without.

My favourite version of poser though, first off it said it would run it in compatibility mode then said it needed something else doing to it, can’t remember off hand what it was.

And I do hate the way that windows 7 puts little red squiggly lines under words I spell properly, the British way.  favourite does have a u in it.

Signature 

Posted: 29 September 2012 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09
chohole - 29 September 2012 03:44 PM

And I do hate the way that windows 7 puts little red squiggly lines under words I spell properly, the British way.

:goggleeyes:

Win7 spell checks? Can’t say I’ve noticed my version being so culturally insensitive.

I see red underlines with Word 2000 but that is country aware on the whole.

Posted: 29 September 2012 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Well something is putting little red wiggly lines under all my British words. As I hadn’t noticed it before I assumed that it was something that Win 7 had done.

Signature 

Posted: 29 September 2012 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09
LordHardDriven - 29 September 2012 12:31 PM

Now there is an issue as to which is actually better Intel or AMD? Intel does out perform AMD on some tests by fractions of a second so in that respect intel is better but the top of the line Intel CPU with 6 cores cost around $1000 whereas the top of the line AMD with 8 cores is only about $200. With a savings of $800 I can stand to be a few fractions of a second slower.

The performance difference between the i7-3960X ($1008) and the FX-8150 ($190) is a lot more than fractions of a second:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-3960x-x79-sandy-bridge-e,3071-22.html

Now whether the benefit of the Intel is worth the money is a fair and subjective point - but the benefit is real. Of course, the 3960X is not the smart way to buy Sandybridge-E Hex core - that crown belongs to the 3930K at about $570. Very similar performance at nearly half the price. Still three times the AMD Bulldozer cost but bringing things much closer under the law of diminishing returns.

Examining the Intel CPUs at a similar price level to the FX-8150, things get interesting. The older i5-2500k ($198) has always given the AMD a run for its money:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-7-hotfix-bulldozer-performance,3119-6.html
The current i5-3570k ($230) is more efficient still, and compatible motherboards can be had with useful “future” technology like Thunderbolt.

Posted: 29 September 2012 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1490
Joined  2011-09-25

If you use Opera, go to the Opera tab in the upper left hand corner of the screen, Preference > Settings > Advance tab.  I don’t know about other browsers.  I do know that you can add words to Opera’s dictionary, so I wonder if spell checker in other browsers have the same feature.

I didn’t find a spell checker for IE 9, but if you check the tools section in whatever web browser you use there may be a setting for it.

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

1 of 3