Digital Art Zone

1 of 9
Utility to repair damaged Installers Available
Posted: 29 May 2012 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1874
Joined  2006-02-17

I have written a small utility that will repair the files downloaded from the DAZ site.  It is available for Windows here:

http://ovbi.org/gallery/v/krsears/utilities/

There is a zip file with both 32 and 64 bit exe’s in there.  This is on a low bandwidth server, but is only a tad over 1M in size, so be patient.  If the load becomes too high I will transfer it to my high-bandwidth servers.

I have also written a version for Mac.  If you are a Mac user and need it please PM me and I’ll make it available.

The Download for the 4.5 Release Candidate is also affected.  This utility will repair that as well.

Kendall

UPDATE:

New versions available for download.  Handles new problems for those in need.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 29 May 2012 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4815
Joined  2011-10-04

OMG! Thank you! smile

Signature 

Remembering Jaderail. Rest, my friend.
My DeviantArt page.
My DAZ Studio 4 freebies.
My ramblings/blog

Posted: 29 May 2012 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9079
Joined  2004-07-21

I have not downloaded anything yet from the new site, but this should come in handy. Thank you

Signature 

Hello, Sweetie!
click me to save my dragon eggs

Who is cuter Loki or Thor?

Play Runescape

Posted: 29 May 2012 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17

The utility has actually been available since yesterday and has been covered in the “Problems with older products (installer doesn`t work)” thread on Page 3 of the commons (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/217/)

However, I have created this thread to hopefully make the utility more visible to those not searching the forums.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 29 May 2012 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4815
Joined  2011-10-04

This works like a charm! Thank you!

Oh, and btw… for some reason the forum wanted to put this thread to last page. raspberry I hope the post order gets stabbed ASAP…

Signature 

Remembering Jaderail. Rest, my friend.
My DeviantArt page.
My DAZ Studio 4 freebies.
My ramblings/blog

Posted: 29 May 2012 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
Skiriki - 29 May 2012 03:35 PM

This works like a charm! Thank you!

Oh, and btw… for some reason the forum wanted to put this thread to last page. raspberry I hope the post order gets stabbed ASAP…

I’ve talked to the mod crew.  I imagine(hope) that they’re debating my request to make this thread a temporary sticky.  Actually, that’s part of the reason I separated it from the original thread.

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 29 May 2012 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  154
Joined  2004-05-21

Thank you very much for this. smile

Posted: 29 May 2012 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
s l f - 29 May 2012 05:58 PM

Thank you very much for this. smile

You’re very welcome.

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 29 May 2012 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2059
Joined  2011-07-31

Thank you, Kendall.

Signature 

AtticAnne in Austin TX

Posted: 29 May 2012 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  544
Joined  2007-01-20

Thank you.  It was thoughtful for you to do this utility and to share it.  Hopefully having something like this will ease some of the frustration people feel, esp. those trying to complete projects with looming deadlines.

Posted: 29 May 2012 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1518
Joined  2010-03-15

Awesome!

Thanks, Kendall.

This will come in very handy, as you know, since I am slowly re-installing my old stuff, still.

Signature 

Aidana WillowRaven
website: http://WillowRaven.weebly.com ~ blog: http://willowraven-illustration.blogspot.com/
I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your slave.

Posted: 29 May 2012 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17

@AtticAnne, @3dProclivity, and Aidana

You are all welcome.  I wrote the utility so that some of the stress could be relieved for all involved.

I hope I was somewhat successful. grin  Now let’s have some fun with the content!

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 30 May 2012 07:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2303
Joined  2010-12-18

thanks a ton, the 64bit crashed on my Win7 64bit machine but the 32bit version worked flawlessly. This is a lifesaver, I just purchases some content yesterday and it won’t work and Daz hasn’t responded so your tool is the real winner.

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 30 May 2012 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
larsmidnatt - 30 May 2012 07:06 AM

thanks a ton, the 64bit crashed on my Win7 64bit machine but the 32bit version worked flawlessly. This is a lifesaver, I just purchases some content yesterday and it won’t work and Daz hasn’t responded so your tool is the real winner.

Please PM me with the details of the “crash”  with the 64 bit version.  I need the version of your Win7, as well as machine config, and of course any errors that were reported.  There is nothing in the code that could cause a crash, so I’m very curious about what the issue is.

Thanks.
Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 30 May 2012 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  230
Joined  2009-04-21
Kendall Sears - 29 May 2012 03:11 PM

I have written a small utility that will repair the files downloaded from the DAZ site.  It is available for Windows here:

http://ovbi.org/gallery/v/krsears/utilities/

There is a zip file with both 32 and 64 bit exe’s in there.  This is on a low bandwidth server, but is only a tad over 1M in size, so be patient.  If the load becomes too high I will transfer it to my high-bandwidth servers.

I have also written a version for Mac.  If you are a Mac user and need it please PM me and I’ll make it available.

The Download for the 4.5 Release Candidate is also affected.  This utility will repair that as well.

Kendall

Am definitely downloading this when I get home…thank you!

Posted: 30 May 2012 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
Kendall Sears - 30 May 2012 07:10 AM
larsmidnatt - 30 May 2012 07:06 AM

Please PM me with the details of the “crash”  with the 64 bit version.  I need the version of your Win7, as well as machine config, and of course any errors that were reported.  There is nothing in the code that could cause a crash, so I’m very curious about what the issue is.

Thanks.
Kendall

For those interested: the “crash” has been traced to Symantec Endpoint causing a problem with Window’s FileDialog.

Kendall

Signature 

1 of 9