Digital Art Zone

3 of 5
What’s up with .duf?
Posted: 30 September 2012 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1368
Joined  2010-03-25

I won’t use any of them until they can work in poser also.like they did before daz4 came out.

Signature 

My Daz & Poser animations & art work
http://www.youtube.com/user/IvySummers1
My Art on Google
http://plus.google.com/+IvySummers

Posted: 30 September 2012 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11175
Joined  2007-11-06

...OK, so lets say for the sake or argument (and I paid for the ten minute version), one who is working in 4.5 and can load any previous filetype (even .daz) which upon saving gets converted to .duf (hopefully without the shaders getting messed up in the process).  Meanwhile lets say a new environment set is released that is in .duf format. Now, as I am using 3.1.2.32 Advanced 64bit basically this says to me the application will not be able to read the file if I try to load it, correct?

So, the way I interpret this is it means if I don’t upgrade to 4.5 (the new “beta” of the Studio app.) I just wasted my money on the new set.

This is what is termed in the automotive and durable goods industry as “planned obsolescence” .

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 30 September 2012 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8697
Joined  2007-11-06
Ivy - 30 September 2012 09:36 PM

I won’t use any of them until they can work in poser also.like they did before daz4 came out.

Another reason for the switch to .duf, a standardized, documented format for writing importers for other applications.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 30 September 2012 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...interesting as I have been able to load .daz content created in 3.x in 2.3.3.  It just meant some things like lights (most of which used the new built in UE lights) didn’t work and shaders (that relied on the UberSurface/HSS) needed to be tweaked. to work correctly.

Signature 

Posted: 30 September 2012 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
Kyoto Kid - 30 September 2012 09:38 PM

...OK, so lets say for the sake or argument (and I paid for the ten minute version), one who is working in 4.5 and can load any previous filetype (even .daz) which upon saving gets converted to .duf (hopefully without the shaders getting messed up in the process).  Meanwhile lets say a new environment set is released that is in .duf format. Now, as I am using 3.1.2.32 Advanced 64bit basically this says to me the application will not be able to read the file if I try to load it, correct?

So, the way I interpret this is it means if I don’t upgrade to 4.5 (the new “beta” of the Studio app.) I just wasted my money on the new set.

This is what is termed in the automotive and durable goods industry as “planned obsolescence” .

Okay, let’s say for the sake of argument that a new environment set is released in .daz format created in 4.0.3.37.  You wouldn’t be able to open that in 3.1.2.32, either.  It’s not the switch to .duf that makes DS scene files not backwards compatible, .daz files never were.  .duf files will be backwards compatible, so if you use 4..5.0.114 you can open scenes made in 4.5.0.137.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 30 September 2012 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
Kyoto Kid - 30 September 2012 09:41 PM

...interesting as I have been able to load .daz content created in 3.x in 2.3.3.  It just meant some things like lights (most of which used the new built in UE lights) didn’t work and shaders (that relied on the UberSurface/HSS) needed to be tweaked. to work correctly.

Are you sure about that?  .daz files created in 3.x?

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 30 September 2012 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  710
Joined  2008-04-30

Thats kinda what i thought as well.  Nothing “too” major.

-MJ

Posted: 30 September 2012 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  710
Joined  2008-04-30
fixmypcmike - 30 September 2012 09:49 PM

Maybe not, but if the product has a .pp2 i can load the prop from that if necessary correct?
My only issue would be loading a prop from a .daz file(3.x or later) or the now .duf file?

This is another reason im purchasing less and less Daz3D content as it is increasingly becoming platform dependent.

-MJ

Posted: 30 September 2012 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

I just tried to open a scene I created in January in DS4.0 in DS3.1.2.32, and got the expected “this file cannot be opened because it was created in a later version” message.  I believe you are mistaken.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 30 September 2012 10:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
MJ007 - 30 September 2012 10:03 PM
fixmypcmike - 30 September 2012 09:49 PM

Maybe not, but if the product has a .pp2 i can load the prop from that if necessary correct?
My only issue would be loading a prop from a .daz file(3.x or later) or the now .duf file?

This is another reason im purchasing less and less Daz3D content as it is increasing becoming platform dependent.

-MJ

There’s no problem, then—you can still load the Poser versions regardless of what format the DS version is in (which you couldn’t load, whether it was .daz or .duf).

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 01 October 2012 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...that is not always the case.

For example Jack Tomalin’s Disconsolation was created in 3.0 yet I could still open it in 2.3.3. Again the light set would not work as it was UE based and some shaders needed adjustment but, the set itself loaded fine.

Signature 

Posted: 01 October 2012 12:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
fixmypcmike - 30 September 2012 10:07 PM

I just tried to open a scene I created in January in DS4.0 in DS3.1.2.32, and got the expected “this file cannot be opened because it was created in a later version” message.  I believe you are mistaken.

...but that is s full scene created and saved in a later version.  I already know this.  I’m referring to individual content files.

Also if .duf becomes the only file type available and no .pp2. available, then the content becomes exclusive to the Daz Studio application.  This is what I am concerted about.

Signature 

Posted: 01 October 2012 03:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  540
Joined  2010-09-02

This post may’ve had bunk assumptions. smile

Signature 

Windows:          DAZ History Manager         Daz Wishlist Manager         3D Content Downloader

Firefox Fixes for the Old Forum:      Bookmarks       Images

Fun With Bundles Thread 2

Posted: 01 October 2012 05:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14288
Joined  2003-10-09

A content file is either a scene or a script - neither of which should work in DS2 if saved from DS3.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 01 October 2012 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1609
Joined  2008-11-10
Kyoto Kid - 01 October 2012 12:33 AM
fixmypcmike - 30 September 2012 10:07 PM

...but that is s full scene created and saved in a later version.  I already know this.  I’m referring to individual content files.

Also if .duf becomes the only file type available and no .pp2. available, then the content becomes exclusive to the Daz Studio application.  This is what I am concerted about.

But the big problem in DS has always been the portablity of scene files. If you bought a product that contained a DAZ scene, there was always a chance that the PA or Vendor created the scene or lights in a newer version of the program that what a customer had on his desktop. Even it is was a point revision ahead, it would not load unless the customer upgraded the application. This seeks to address that. Generally you want to upgrade to get additional functionality, not to load lights or a room. The big thing about duf and DSON is portablitiy.

3 of 5