What’s up with .duf?
Posted: 30 September 2012 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2196
Joined  2011-11-16

Some pretty good reasons smile

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 30 September 2012 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2006-04-16

Indeed. Thank you. smile

Signature 

Genesis is head & shoulders above “Genesis 2” (or better known as BF2/BM2) and is the FAR superior figure. Why? It doesn’t suffer from the UN-necessary gender split

My DeviantArt Page.

ULTIMATE SUPER-HERO FREEBIES!

The Supersuit product comes with a Basic Supersuit. DAZ has finally fixed it’s UV’s. Re-Download now to receive the update. Thanks DAZ! smile

Posted: 30 September 2012 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12542
Joined  2007-11-06

...unless one is into scripting, the editing function is pretty much useless.

....duf files cannot be read by any version of Studio prior to 4.5. (not even 4.0.x).

....daz format is readable by all older versions of the application from 3.1.x back. Granted one can’t open a scene created in 3.1.x in 2.3.3, but why would one want to anyway?

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 30 September 2012 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2196
Joined  2011-11-16

I hand edit files all the time

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 30 September 2012 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12542
Joined  2007-11-06

...I don’t, as I burned out on programming years ago.

The whole attraction of Daz Studio for me was that it approached the subject from the artist’s rather than technician’s perspective.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 30 September 2012 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2011-09-12
Kyoto Kid - 30 September 2012 08:00 PM

....duf files cannot be read by any version of Studio prior to 4.5. (not even 4.0.x).

....daz format is readable by all older versions of the application from 3.1.x back. Granted one can’t open a scene created in 3.1.x in 2.3.3, but why would one want to anyway?

And that Kyoto Kid is why I’m sticking with DS 4.0 for the foreseeable future. I don’t trust duf files and suspect that we’re going to be forced into adopting something we won’t be able to use our current DAZ Scene files with in the future.

Will I be able to use my files created in DS4.0 in a future version of DS like 5.0? Or will I have to start all over again recreating my V4s from the ground up in a future version? I hope not because I sure would resent it.

That would be like Adobe creating a new version of Photoshop that could not read any Tif, Jpeg or Psd created before the introduction of that particular Photoshop version.

“Sorry photographers, we here at Adobe have decided that with the new Photoshop CS7, you will not be able to open any graphics file created before 2014. Tif, Jpeg, PSD and your camera’s Raw files are obsolete and we’re now introducing the new proprietary ‘DNG 2014’, which is the only file format compatible. So for opening all your archived files pre-CS7 you’re SOL, but we’re sure you won’t mind.”

Posted: 30 September 2012 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-12

I really like your Wonder Woman, Knight 22179.

Posted: 30 September 2012 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2006-04-16

Thanks, Mark. smile

And you can still open your scene files from D/S4 Pro with 4.5. I upgraded and so far I’ve had no problems in that area.

Signature 

Genesis is head & shoulders above “Genesis 2” (or better known as BF2/BM2) and is the FAR superior figure. Why? It doesn’t suffer from the UN-necessary gender split

My DeviantArt Page.

ULTIMATE SUPER-HERO FREEBIES!

The Supersuit product comes with a Basic Supersuit. DAZ has finally fixed it’s UV’s. Re-Download now to receive the update. Thanks DAZ! smile

Posted: 30 September 2012 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9615
Joined  2007-11-06

...or there’s a path error, or one item in the scene isn’t working and it makes the whole scene not load.

You never had a problem with having to upgrade from 3.1.1.73 to 3.1.1.74 because that’s the version the PA used, when something else you use won’t work in 3.1.1.74?  Or not being able to use something because you’re in the middle of a project and can’t risk installing a newer version?  Or just don’t have the time to download hundreds of MB’s every time there’s an update?

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 30 September 2012 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  867
Joined  2008-04-30

As im still a DS2 user, i guess this is something i need to start paying attention to.  So does this mean with these .duf files in older versions of DS will not load these props?  I almost use my own lights anyway, so thats not “that” big a deal.  I would like to know EXACTLY how this effects me.

Thanks!

-MJ

Posted: 30 September 2012 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-12

To Knight22179:

You’re welcome on WW.  smile

But my worry about future DS versions like the eventual 5.0 perhaps next year is will they open all our existing DAZ Scene files or force us to adopt Duf exclusively?

It’s good that 4.5 will, but I worry about where they’ll be going beyond that

Posted: 30 September 2012 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
MarkR151 - 30 September 2012 08:25 PM

Will I be able to use my files created in DS4.0 in a future version of DS like 5.0? Or will I have to start all over again recreating my V4s from the ground up in a future version? I hope not because I sure would resent it.

.ds files from before DS3 (which introduced .dsa files) still work in DS4.5, even ones made in DS1.  The only previous DS-format files that don’t work in DS4.5 are, surprise, .daz files from the early days of DS, which won’t work in DS3 either.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 30 September 2012 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-12
fixmypcmike - 30 September 2012 09:22 PM
MarkR151 - 30 September 2012 08:25 PM

.ds files from before DS3 (which introduced .dsa files) still work in DS4.5, even ones made in DS1.  The only previous DS-format files that don’t work in DS4.5 are, surprise, .daz files from the early days of DS, which won’t work in DS3 either.

I hope they’ll work in the eventual DS 5.0 too.

Posted: 30 September 2012 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  2012-02-04

I believe another one of the reasons DUF was created was to make distribution easier.  E.g., if I create a scene and save it as a .duf, I can send that to anyone, and not violate copyright because the .duf only contains references to the original content.  Whereas .daz files may include some of the original content in them, and thus you’re distributing geometry/etc that you shouldn’t be.

Granted, most people probably don’t share their scene files, so this may not be a big selling point for them.

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage
Set Focal Distance script for DAZ Studio

Posted: 30 September 2012 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
MJ007 - 30 September 2012 09:20 PM

As im still a DS2 user, i guess this is something i need to start paying attention to.  So does this mean with these .duf files in older versions of DS will not load these props?  I almost use my own lights anyway, so thats not “that” big a deal.  I would like to know EXACTLY how this effects me.

Thanks!

-MJ

Since DS2 can’t load .daz files or scripts created in DS3, you wouldn’t have been able to load them anyway.  Are there PAs still providing DS2 versions of products?

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Updated Genesis Products

2 of 5