Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Creating a asteroid belt ( 2 different tutorials )
Posted: 28 September 2012 04:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  99
Joined  2004-12-19

Hi…

Little tutorial for creating a asteroid belt..

Image Attachments
a.jpgb.jpgc.jpgd.jpge.jpg

Posted: 28 September 2012 04:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-12-19

part 2

Image Attachments
f.jpgg.jpgh.jpgi.jpgj.jpg

Posted: 28 September 2012 05:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-12-19

A even faster method..lol…
In fact you can forget the above tutorial ( how ever its also fun to do )

Image Attachments
0001.jpg

Posted: 28 September 2012 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-12-19

Then re-size the spheres if needed:

Like in the above tutorial you now can start copy this group as often you want and use the 3d disappear method to make it more
random looking… as said The sky is the limit…. in this case, Space is the limit.. smile

regards: atlantis

Image Attachments
0002.jpg

Posted: 28 September 2012 06:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  256
Joined  2005-09-28

Nicely done smile I’ll be creating an asteroid belt myself soon.

Signature 

Oroboros Presents… KEY-FLAME: Bryce Animation Tutorials

Posted: 28 September 2012 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  927
Joined  2003-10-09

Sweet I need a new belt smile

Posted: 01 November 2012 01:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2012-08-14

Thanks,  I wondered how it was done. I,ll try this method soon:-)

Posted: 01 November 2012 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2599
Joined  2004-07-06

Thanks Erich for the tutorial.  I would turn it into a short video with your permission.

It is nice to follow someone else’s labours and just play.  Here I made the asteroids (the material one of my own for asteroids that can be downloaded from Bryce5.com) - I used your instancing settings - worked a treat.  Wiggled them around a bit with the randomisation controls and loaded in one of the Deep Space HDRI that Horo made with me.  This looked OK but then I decided to play with Dan’s fog material… a while later… I had a nice streaking effect in the belt.  But contrast was lacking… so I rendered and saved HDRI and remapped using the Spherical Mapper to overlay a volumetric sun effect.  By this re-combination I was able to add in more Bryce stars.  But… the Spherical Mapper is not perfect for remapping using this approach so I put some masking in the lens of the mapper to blot out the poles (the black bands top and bottom) where the image got too badly distorted.

Image Attachments
Sm_combined4.jpg
 Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 01 November 2012 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  654
Joined  2010-02-18

@atlantis….very nice tut., and it worked a treat also for me - have put this one in my fav’ folder as I’m sure I’ll be coming back to it again.

David…look forward to your intending asteroid vid. I know these are early times, but as to that light-band in which your asteroids lie…hmmmm???...I have doubts. Such views are seen alright in the fine dust particulate bands of Saturn and other like planets, but as to less dense asteroid belts, I’m not so sure. But then, you might have other ideas in where you’re going to take it in terms of lighting FX’s.

Jay

Posted: 01 November 2012 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06
Jamahoney - 01 November 2012 11:48 AM

@atlantis….very nice tut., and it worked a treat also for me - have put this one in my fav’ folder as I’m sure I’ll be coming back to it again.

David…look forward to your intending asteroid vid. I know these are early times, but as to that light-band in which your asteroids lie…hmmmm???...I have doubts. Such views are seen alright in the fine dust particulate bands of Saturn and other like planets, but as to less dense asteroid belts, I’m not so sure. But then, you might have other ideas in where you’re going to take it in terms of lighting FX’s.

Jay

I duuno… I only have one defence, I am an artist not an astronomer!  I just wanted something fancy.

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 01 November 2012 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3543
Joined  2004-10-01
David Brinnen - 01 November 2012 11:52 AM

I duuno… I only have one defence, I am an artist not an astronomer!  I just wanted something fancy.

It does look fancy, and appealing, too. Most of the people won’t notice what Jamahoney rightly pointed out. There is also something like artistic freedom.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 01 November 2012 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-18

Ah, okay…shan’t make observations like that anymore - simply thought it might have helped seeing that you were doing a vid on it. I only made the suggestion in that from your previous works, I thought you were after correct representations of a subject! But, no worries.

As to artisitic licence/freedom…I understand this fully as I worked several years as a free-lance artist working mainly in oils and watercolours.

Cheers
Jay

Posted: 01 November 2012 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06
Jamahoney - 01 November 2012 03:30 PM

Ah, okay…shan’t make observations like that anymore - simply thought it might have helped seeing that you were doing a vid on it. I only made the suggestion in that from your previous works, I thought you were after correct representations of a subject! But, no worries.

As to artisitic licence/freedom…I understand this fully as I worked several years as a free-lance artist working mainly in oils and watercolours.

Cheers
Jay

Oh I’m not saying I do not want to know.  I’m just saying I didn’t know.  Space is a bit of a mystery to me.  Horo is better versed in space imagery.  I am more terrestrial.  The reference images I was using were probably also made up.  I suppose I should have looked for something by NASA?

Signature 

Posted: 02 November 2012 04:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-18

I have in my mind’s eye an image of what you’re wanting to put across (forgive the presumption) – the asteroids blocking the light and producing dark radial-like rays with the brighter rays in between (a lovely effect if got right).

Your render also reminded me of the Voyager (Star Trek) opening theme – 1.08 minutes in), but as can be seen, it’s the density of the particles and ‘roids that is giving the band-like, ‘light’ effect. A recent image here accompanying research about asteroid belts turned up, too, but it pales really in comparison to yours (NASA needs to be hiring you smile ).

This whole digital imaging thingy is new to me, and while both it and actual painting with brushes have advantages and disadvantages each to them, the creative process, and artistic licence, will never change, I think.

Jay

Posted: 02 November 2012 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06
Jamahoney - 02 November 2012 04:55 AM

I have in my mind’s eye an image of what you’re wanting to put across (forgive the presumption) – the asteroids blocking the light and producing dark radial-like rays with the brighter rays in between (a lovely effect if got right).

Your render also reminded me of the Voyager (Star Trek) opening theme – 1.08 minutes in), but as can be seen, it’s the density of the particles and ‘roids that is giving the band-like, ‘light’ effect. A recent image here accompanying research about asteroid belts turned up, too, but it pales really in comparison to yours (NASA needs to be hiring you smile ).

This whole digital imaging thingy is new to me, and while both it and actual painting with brushes have advantages and disadvantages each to them, the creative process, and artistic licence, will never change, I think.

Jay

I see what you mean… yes well, I did try a lot more asteroids, but unlike Peter http://www.daz3d.com/forums/search_results/e8dc511277ac0bfed01eb14f80039df7/ I lack the necessary patience with complex scenes.  The problem for me is that I like to make very many tiny changes over and over again, and when scenes get heavily populated, the swap between labs starts to grind and in the end, I am thwarted because the whole process becomes too slow for me to make enough changes fast enough to get a sense of where the changes I am making are progressing.  If that makes any sense?

I quite fancy having a go at something like this shot from the sequence you linked.

Image Attachments
Image1.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 02 November 2012 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-18

Changes and changes…oh yeah, know where you’re coming from there. It’s like writing an article, you put down the words in a sentence, they look correct after an hour or so in writing them. You then come back later to see how they look again, and you realise, hey, that’s the wrong word there, that grammar is wrong, too, I could have said that other part another way…SIGH. In the end, a whole new sentence has to be written, which again undergoes further self-critical analysis…AARRGG.

Yes, that’s the Voyager shadow effects I was thinking about – it’s quite a wonderful effect, isn’t it; it’s as if one can use the indirect properties of light to produce a totally different, dark-like effect.

Jay

1 of 3