Radiance of Spirit Free download

WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,175
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm following Make Your Own Reality Tutorial Videos and Paolo uses the Free Radiance of Spirit which was in the old Freepository, which is not available at the moment.

Is it available anywhere else or am I not going to be able to get it?

Comments

  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 19,892
    edited December 1969

    It isn't currently available, I'm afraid.

  • Robert952Robert952 Posts: 108
    edited December 1969

    It isn't currently available, I'm afraid.

    We can hope DAZ brings back those freebies. I used this prop a couple of times and as a learning tool on how to use/create jpgs to change the texture and play with UV maps.

    There were several other nice items in the old (very old?) archives. Now that the dust is settling a bit (I know not everything is fixed yet), maybe someone can look at reopening that section of the server.

  • TaozenTaozen Posts: 2,208
    edited September 2012

    Since it's a freebie, are there any problems with getting a copy from someone else?

    In the EU it's now allowed to resell digital content no matter what the EULA says (you have to delete your own copy of course). Not sure about free stuff though (if you don't delete your own copy).

    Post edited by Taozen on
  • FixmypcmikeFixmypcmike Posts: 12,189
    edited December 1969

    Taozen said:
    Since it's a freebie, are there any problems with getting a copy from someone else?

    In the EU it's now allowed to resell digital content no matter what the EULA says (you have to delete your own copy of course). Not sure about free stuff though (if you don't delete your own copy).

    The EU ruling specifically requires a monetary payment, so it wouldn't apply to free items, even if you did delete your copy. In the US, the EULA prohibition against redistribution holds whether paid or free.

  • TaozenTaozen Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

    OK, thanks!

  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 7,766
    edited December 1969

    Since it was an old Redhouse item, does Jack Tomalin still have some say over what happens to it?

  • FixmypcmikeFixmypcmike Posts: 12,189
    edited December 1969

    mjc1016 said:
    Since it was an old Redhouse item, does Jack Tomalin still have some say over what happens to it?

    I would assume DAZ 3D bought it.

  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 7,766
    edited December 1969

    Probably, but since Jack is around semi-regularly, it wouldn't hurt to ask...

    I downloaded the entire archive and all the past years' Christmas items when they started talking about redoing the site.

  • FixmypcmikeFixmypcmike Posts: 12,189
    edited December 1969

    mjc1016 said:
    I downloaded the entire archive and all the past years' Christmas items when they started talking about redoing the site.

    I did the same in advance of the prior round of site redesign.

  • Jack TomalinJack Tomalin Posts: 4,790
    edited December 1969

    mjc1016 said:
    Probably, but since Jack is around semi-regularly, it wouldn't hurt to ask...

    I downloaded the entire archive and all the past years' Christmas items when they started talking about redoing the site.

    Yea that's correct.

    I did ask DAZ a while back about hosting it in the interim but nothing came of it. I will email again for what it's worth, but can't promise anything.

    Hope that's of some help :)

  • RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 1,150
    edited December 1969

    Wow! Thanks, Jack. That's might nice of ya!

    :)

  • Jack TomalinJack Tomalin Posts: 4,790
    edited December 1969

    RKane_1 said:
    Wow! Thanks, Jack. That's might nice of ya!

    :)

    All part of the service!

  • ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

    Curious about if anything has come of this.

  • Jack TomalinJack Tomalin Posts: 4,790
    edited December 1969

    *shrug* sadly I've not heard anything.

  • Tman300Tman300 Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

    Paolo Ciccone over at Pret produces training vids with Daz loadable lessons and then when one attempts to test something, one finds out that some things are no longer available. This situtaion makes me want to toss all the stuff I've bought here out the window, or maybe I'll just give it away. Daz get your act together! You can't keep undermining your customers and expect them to be happy. All you do is piss them off. Reup what your customers need. You can spare the few mb on a hard disk somewhere I am sure.

  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited June 2013

    Tman300 said:
    Paolo Ciccone over at Pret produces training vids with Daz loadable lessons and then when one attempts to test something, one finds out that some things are no longer available. This situtaion makes me want to toss all the stuff I've bought here out the window, or maybe I'll just give it away. Daz get your act together! You can't keep undermining your customers and expect them to be happy. All you do is piss them off. Reup what your customers need. You can spare the few mb on a hard disk somewhere I am sure.
    Sometimes things get made "unavailable" because they dont work in the latest version of something, the original artist has decided they want it retired, or DAZ has decided to retire it. It would be Paolo's responsibility to update the videos in the case where that happens or create items on their own for use with their training. DAZ3D has no affiliation with or control over what someone on another site may or may not use. We are sorry for any inconvenience.

    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Tman300Tman300 Posts: 25
    edited June 2013

    Sorry Jaderail, but your explanation falls flat on its face.

    As far as I am concerned the fault lies squarely with Daz, no matter what you or its representatives might say.

    The product was available until just recently so it obviously worked with Daz4.5. As far as I know the artist(s) (Redhouse - Jack Tomalin) never asked for it to be retired. As a matter of fact Jack has asked to have it reinstated (just read up a few posts).

    Daz unthinkingly removed it when they reshuffled their "store" under the new "management" team and I do use the term management very loosely. The Daz team needs to learn the concept of customer service pretty darn soon, or there won't be any customers. Then, senior management can kiss their bonuses goodbye.

    Post edited by Tman300 on
  • Jack TomalinJack Tomalin Posts: 4,790
    edited December 1969

    Just a quick note, this will be uploaded and posted in the freebie index thread. Was meant to do it today but sadly ran out of time. Will do it first thing tomorrow, stay tuned :)

  • Tman300Tman300 Posts: 25
    edited June 2013

    Can't thank you enough Jack. It is an excellent prop. I really like the stained glass window even though the glass is only 1 poly thick (at least according to Paolo over at Pret).

    One quick thing though, what is the freebie index thread? Is it in the Discussion Forum? If not, how does one access it?

    Sorry for being such a pain.

    Post edited by Tman300 on
  • Jack TomalinJack Tomalin Posts: 4,790
    edited December 1969

    Tman300 said:
    Can't thank you enough Jack. It is an excellent prop. I really like the stained glass window even though the glass is only 1 poly thick (at least according to Paolo over at Pret).

    One quick thing though, what is the freebie index thread? Is it in the Discussion Forum? If not, how does one access it?

    Sorry for being such a pain.

    Well I think it would have been a PlatClub freebie back in the day.. and there is an index in the Members Only forum of all the PC freebies we have. But that said, I can't recall how the originally was distributed.. anyway, here it is.. Radiance of Spirit enjoy :)

    The date on the readme is 2006, so it's pretty old.. no wonder I can't recall much about it lol

  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 1,784
    edited June 2013

    I got it from the Weekly Freebie Archive (before it disappeared) - I still love it! Here's an image I made quite a long time ago
    (And thanks for resusitating it for those who didn't get the chance to grab it earlier...)
    Incidentally the old file name was ps_fr258_Radiance.exe, if that jogs any memories.

    Historical_Supersuit_-_Radiance_Trimmed.jpg
    768 x 768 - 380K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • Jack TomalinJack Tomalin Posts: 4,790
    edited December 1969

    MelanieL said:
    I got it from the Weekly Freebie Archive (before it disappeared) - I still love it! Here's an image I made quite a long time ago
    (And thanks for resusitating it for those who didn't get the chance to grab it earlier...)
    Incidentally the old file name was ps_fr258_Radiance.exe, if that jogs any memories.

    Looks good, nice work :)

  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,175
    edited December 1969

    Thanks for that, now I can finish the video.:-)

  • LeanaLeana Posts: 782
    edited December 1969

    Tman300 said:
    The product was available until just recently so it obviously worked with Daz4.5
    Actually this was hosted in the old freebie archive, not in the store, so hasn't been available for download since DAZ "updated" their website to magento more than 1 year ago, way before there was even a DS4.5...

    But anyway it's a really nice prop and it's good to see it available again, thanks Jack :)

  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,480
    edited December 1969

    Tman300 said:
    Sorry Jaderail, but your explanation falls flat on its face.

    As far as I am concerned the fault lies squarely with Daz, no matter what you or its representatives might say.

    The product was available until just recently so it obviously worked with Daz4.5. As far as I know the artist(s) (Redhouse - Jack Tomalin) never asked for it to be retired. As a matter of fact Jack has asked to have it reinstated (just read up a few posts).

    Daz unthinkingly removed it when they reshuffled their "store" under the new "management" team and I do use the term management very loosely. The Daz team needs to learn the concept of customer service pretty darn soon, or there won't be any customers. Then, senior management can kiss their bonuses goodbye.

    The fault is not squarely with DAZ. Reality is not owned by DAZ and is not even sold here in the store. If Paolo makes a video tutorial, it is really his responsibility to see that any files provided.

    The use of free item is in a tutorial is a risk. Freebies and even for pay items come and go all the time. Before finding fault with DAZ when they may not even have been aware the tutorial even used the item, did you contact the maker of the tutorial and inform them that the product they used is not longer available and could he/she recommend an alternative.

  • 3dLux3dLux Posts: 745
    edited December 1969

    Well I think it would have been a PlatClub freebie back in the day.. and there is an index in the Members Only forum of all the PC freebies we have. But that said, I can't recall how the originally was distributed.. anyway, here it is.. Radiance of Spirit enjoy :)

    The date on the readme is 2006, so it's pretty old.. no wonder I can't recall much about it lol

    Thank you so much, Jack :worship: Now I can do that exercise in the Reality tutorial =)

  • cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

    Wow, what a beautiful set!!! No surprise Jack is among my favourite prop-makers :). Thank you! I'd love the rest of the old freebie archive moved here so generously.

Sign In or Register to comment.
Rocket Fuel